89th Academy Awards (Oscars 2017)

I'm so confused :lol:, can someone recap what I just watched? (I wasn't even looking at the screen anymore:( is the bald guy part of the La La Land crew? or part of the Academy? if part of La La Land, how did he find out? Warren's explanation makes no sense..?

That was insane. I know it's not "cool" to like La La Land anymore, but I really wanted it to win. I liked Moonlight too, though. Anyway, that was incredibly uncomfortable and I feel bad for everyone involved. Glad Casey and Emma both won.

I'm so confused :lol:, can someone recap what I just watched? (I wasn't even looking at the screen anymore:( is the bald guy part of the La La Land crew? or part of the Academy? if part of La La Land, how did he find out? Warren's explanation makes no sense..?

He is one of the producers of La La Land (the one who spoke and said "this is not a joke"). At some point during their speeches, a man came out with a headset on and showed them the envelope that said "Moonlight" won. Warren claims they handed him the Best Actress envelope that said "Emma Stone, La La Land" rather than the correct Best Picture envelope.

What I don't get is why didn't Warren say anything as opposed to giving it to Faye to read?

First stage is shock and disbelief, watch all the conspiracy theories come next. :lol: And people always thought that Jack Palance was drunk when he announced Marisa Tomei as the winner. :lol: I giess we know that they have no qualms about interjecting.

I'm glad i didn't watch the show, all the looks are forgettable. The fashion at the oscars is less and less interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad i didn't watch the show, all the looks are forgettable. The fashion at the oscars is less and less interesting.

:lol: we really do say that every year in the annual Oscars thread :lol: I suspect the looks have always been boring, but since we only remember the good/interesting ones, we forget that 90% are dull, dull, dull

I quite liked Emma Stone's dress, I'm struggling to think of another I really liked. I had high hopes for Ruth Negga but I didn't quite warm to that Valentino. The red colour was spectacular but Valentino has re-used the same motifs (lace, sheer, yet strangely Church-like) for ages, it just feels stale. Naomie Harris looks nice but that cut-out is incredibly annoying.

Mostly the looks were - like every year - fine, but not very memorable.

Also, I didn't bother staying up to watch it. Why so many comments about it being painful, was it really that bad? :lol:

What's with all the dresslines hitting the girls on the navel? So unflattering.

My best looks....
Jessica Biel - Everything worked well here. She stood out for all the right reasons and looked effortlessly elegant. Actually my favourite outfit for the night!
Dakota Johnson - Love the way they accesorised her look, and her hair and make-up looked amazing.
Naomie Harris - She looked amazing, loved the train and the modernist feel.
Michelle Williams - Her two-tone looked cool, but I somehow liked Emma's youthful version. The halter neck on Michelle reminded me of Nicole Kidman's red Balenciaga years ago.
Karlie Kloss - She looked flawless, but it's almost a tad overdressed. This was the dress of a nominee or winner, not an attendee. She's a bit like the Jane Fonda in that white gown in Monster in Law. :lol:

The worst without a doubt was Halle Berry, messy from tip to toe. It all looked very cheap, I'm afraid.
Alicia Vikander also looked like she couldn't be asked to care. Messy bun, shoes which didn't fit the dress, and an overall bored attitude.
Jennifer Aniston's sever hairstyle and Versace, for the millionth time.
Octavia Spencer and Ava Duvernay - The colour did nothing for their skintone, and there was far too much detail going on. Both looked very boxy as a result.
Kirsten Dunst - Don't recall her ever being a busty girl - she looked very busty here. Also the whole Courtney Love vibe was off-putting.
Isabelle Huppert - Frumpy and slouchy waistline. She can take a few pointers from Helen Mirren.

I'm positively dissapointed with the best actress, actor and supporting actor winning choices. If I had my way Isabelle, Viggo or Denzel and Michael Shannon should have won. Naomie Harris delivered a strong performance as did Michelle Williams, but I do get why they went with Viola. It was a bit like Julliane Moore for Still Alice - it was her time.

The biggest injustice was to give an award to that guy from Moonlight when he had the 2nd weakest performance in that film! What a joke!

:lol: we really do say that every year in the annual Oscars thread :lol: I suspect the looks have always been boring, but since we only remember the good/interesting ones, we forget that 90% are dull, dull, dull

But the thing is, I can't remember a single look from the last few years. I can barely remember any of the looks from last night. I can still remember Julia Robert's winning Valentino gown. Charlize's orange gown in what was it, 1999? Cate Blanchett's two black gowns in the late 90s. Love it or hate it, Halle's winning gown. Renee's yellow and red gowns. Not to mention the iconic fails, Bjork, Gwyneth, etc.

The last Best Actress winner's look I actually remember is Sandra's Marchesa, and it wasn't even that good.

Something has definitely happened over the past few years in terms of Oscars fashion.. It doesn't seem like one of those retrospective situations where we will look back and appreciate the dresses more. I mean, Nicole Kidman's beige Armani is hardly going to spark excitement ten years down the line, is it?

I think partly - or most - of the problem is that practically every actress has a stylist nowadays and they let them dictate their style too much. It all feels a little artificial and personal style rarely shines through.

Stylists weren't as promiment twenty years ago which is why Julia Roberts' vintage Valentino (when was the last time a nominee wore a proper vintage gown?), Cameron Diaz's boho Ungaro, a post-baby Samantha Morton turning up in a Sex Pistol's t-shirt, Gwyneth Paltrow's gothic McQueen, Bjork's swan dress and Nicole Kidman's chartreuse Dior were allowed to happen. Going back even further, Jodie Foster recently noted that she found one of her Oscar dresses (it was an Armani) in a store abroad and just bought it. Winona Ryder collected vintage gowns and wore them to ceremonies in the '90s.

That being said, there have been a few iconic looks this decade: Lupita's blue Prada and white Calvin Klein gowns, Cate's purple Givenchy and Gwyneth's Tom Ford.

For my money, Naomie Harris had the most memorable look of the night and probably the only one that I'll remember for years to come. But that's just me because I know it divided a lot of opinion.

^You're right about Gwyneth's Tom Ford. That was a memorable look and probably will stand the test of time. The rest you mentioned, I can't even remember what they were.

And I agree with you about Naomie's look. It probably was the most memorable one last night, partly because - in my opinion - it wasn't appropriate for the Oscars. Oscars is one of the few events throughout the year where I like to see everyone going all out.

I agree with you above, nothing memorable except maybe Naomie's look, it had the same vibe as Gwyneth's Tom Ford outfit. Didn't like the cut out in Naomie's look.

It's boring overall I guess because of the money game playing between the actors and the fashion houses/designers/stylists. And also fashion designers aren't designing many great dresses atm. It reflects the boring state the fashion world now is imo.

It's a shame that almost everyone wore muted pastels, white and beige. My theory is that nominees and presenters were asked to stay away from colors such as blue, green, purple and orange because the dresses would have then matched the stage colors. I remember a few years ago it was mentioned in a Rachel Zoe episode that attendees were asked not to wear white because of the white stage floor that year.

On a side note, I thought Naomi Harris looked incredible and she my was my best dressed. I am glad that someone took a risk that evening. Emma Stone and Nicole Kidman were the ones that disappointed me most; beautiful looks but not memorable at all, which is a shame.

:lol: I know. :lol::lol:
I'm sorry but before even if most of the looks were nothing special at least there were 1 or 2/3 iconic/original/memorable looks. It's not the case anymore. I used to be excited to see all the Oscar fashion looks now i'm easily bored. Maybe because i'm older it's more difficult to impress me...

This years Oscars were boring as usual recently but it's going to be the case for the future.
As long as the redcarpet game is ruled by the stylists, it will be the case. Actresses are insecure and they are all afraid of that Worst-dressed list. I like it better when there's a real relationship between a designer and an actress rather than a brand between an actress.
There's too much money involved for the brands, celebrities and stylists to take risks anymore.
I would love to see Haider Ackermann, John Galliano, Thom Browne on the redcarpet.
I was almost sad to by the fact that Meryl S chosed to wear Elie Saab instead of Chanel considering that the designer altered the dress for her.

Today, all the redcarpet dresses rely on the same fabrication: it's either a column dress or a ball gown. It seems like all the dresses are either made of embroidered tulle.
A woman wearing a biais cut satin gown by Galliano or a draped silk piece by Ackermann will stand out.

Tilda should attend the Oscars every year, just for the sake of saving fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->