Alexander McQueen F/W 2006.07 Paris

Thank you for reposting and reviving this thread. Truly one of the most gorgeous collections of all time.

revisiting this stunning collection only makes it sadder to look at the current state of fashion :|

I watch that show at least once a week. I can't get over his collections, the thought process, how unique this was.
Very true about how sad this makes fashion look now.

It's one official camera roll without multi angle editting, I suppose.
[Yt]jgA_aEyZ0No[/Yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander Mcqueen Blended Wool Skirt, 2006

22681022_datamatics.jpg
FJ83_2_master.jpg
oACsQwMr_o.jpg

^^^ These collections, with strong, distinctive, unique daywear— that’s as equally provocative designed as they are classically referential, showcases his immense creative talent alongside such a masterclass of studied, skilled and hard-earned dressmaker’s knowledge. That’s what transcends the mere provocateur to fashion visionary. “Irere” and “Deliverance” also come to mind that just like this collection, showcases his mastery of strong classic separates that as a whole, create completely new ways to understand fashion. Just like his men’s “The McQueensbury Rule” remains his strongest, most potent and severely relevant that’s remained Sarah’s blueprint for the best of her McQueen: Exquisite, bespoke, impossibly accomplished tailoring alongside fashion design. Costumes and ballgowns are such easy tricks to achieve next to the complex understanding of strong separates that work as well as a total look as they do as separates for the customer with a life, and not just for lending out at some red carpet.

^^^ These collections, with strong, distinctive, unique daywear— that’s as equally provocative designed as they are classically referential, showcases his immense creative talent alongside such a masterclass of studied, skilled and hard-earned dressmaker’s knowledge. That’s what transcends the mere provocateur to fashion visionary. “Irere” and “Deliverance” also come to mind that just like this collection, showcases his mastery of strong classic separates that as a whole, create completely new ways to understand fashion. Just like his men’s “The McQueensbury Rule” remains his strongest, most potent and severely relevant that’s remained Sarah’s blueprint for the best of her McQueen: Exquisite, bespoke, impossibly accomplished tailoring alongside fashion design. Costumes and ballgowns are such easy tricks to achieve next to the complex understanding of strong separates that work as well as a total look as they do as separates for the customer with a life, and not just for lending out at some red carpet.
irere is brilliant, sans the redundant black sequence in the middle of the collecton. i'd say pretty much any collection from spring 98 to spring 01 could rank in his top five. voss, number 13, golden shower/untitled and eshu are, of course, the major standouts, while the overlook and eye are some of my more underrated favourites. i'd probably put voss and number 13 at the top of my list. his much earlier shows (dante, highland r*pe, the hunger, it's a jungle out there) are magnificent too, but they were mostly done on a hamstring budget, and are hence perhaps not the most accomplished on a strictly technical level. post-gucci group, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is another great collection that's filled with more desirable and pragmatic separates, and lighter on the more usual showpieces. however, i do think that in some of his haute couture collections for givenchy, mcqueen achieved something so extraordinary. he was at the height of his creative and technical powers, and it very much shows in collections like the japanese garden (spring 98) and fall 1999 (it's criminal the only existing footage of this show online is such shoddy quality).

Last edited:
i think his menswear was always overlooked by burton

^^^ It was even stronger once Sarah took over.

irere is brilliant, sans the redundant black sequence in the middle of the collecton. i'd say pretty much any collection from spring 98 to spring 01 could rank in his top five. voss, number 13, golden shower/untitled and eshu are, of course, the major standouts, while the overlook and eye are some of my more underrated favourites. i'd probably put voss and number 13 at the top of my list. his much earlier shows (dante, highland r*pe, the hunger, it's a jungle out there) are magnificent too, but they were mostly done on a hamstring budget, and are hence perhaps not the most accomplished on a strictly technical level. post-gucci group, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is another great collection that's filled with more desirable and pragmatic separates, and lighter on the more usual showpieces. however, i do think that in some of his haute couture collections for givenchy, mcqueen achieved something so extraordinary. he was at the height of his creative and technical powers, and it very much shows in collections like the japanese garden (spring 98) and fall 1999 (it's criminal the only existing footage of this show online is such shoddy quality).

The black birds of paradise x Spanish Conquistadors’ royal court opulence of “Irere” were splendid, and needed. Without those overly-ornate looks that tied the shipwrecked nobility of the first act, the third act of paradise found wouldn’t have such an impact. The amount of creativity, individuality and passion poured into each single piece that works to create am even bigger whole of that collection alone is spellbindingly incredible, magical, and so culturally rich, along with the time and dedication of such a feat will never be achieved again. This sort of standard will never be experienced again for generations in fashiondom.

McQueen’s OTT showmanship can be tiresome at this point since the lessers only ever care for big theatrical yaaaaaassssss queeeeeen moments; huge drag queen costumes that can be seen a mile away; and punky, gothy, Joan of Arc warrior aesthetics that a 10yo can relate to, these lesser days— like that hilarious Joann’s Fabric DIY slop Lana wore as the representation of the McQueen brand at the MET. And why “Widows…” separates are coming across stronger than ever now is that there’s not a whiff of gimmicks— just an impressive display of in-depth history of Anglo-saxon heritage in its narrative that happens to build into a modern fashion vocabulary for women. The silk shirt and skirt look shown in the above post alone prove the timeless endurance of his skills and talent for modern dressing. For those reasons alone, @lookatme’s preference for the collection as one of the best is absolutely understandable But you’re right— McQueen had so many collections worthy of remembrance (…just the gloves alone of “Irere” are deserving of a highlight…).

To think, that current lessest of lessers installed at the brand had all this in the archive to mull over, and he still couldn’t get pass the sloppy DIY projects with hot-glue gun and safety scissors phase LOL …weeps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->