Ana Abdul - Stylist

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
from WWD...

MIX AND MATCH ACCESSORIES: Harper’s Bazaar has finally bagged a new accessories director. Ana Abdul, former co-owner of the New York boutique Language, will join the Hearst magazine beginning in January. Before opening Language in 1998, Abdul was fashion editor for Elle’s Brazilian edition. She fills the post vacated in September when Danya Unterhalter returned to Vogue to serve as senior accessories editor.

:huh: ...what happened to her 'collection'?

did she ever really have one? I know language produced stuff but I don't think it ever went that big, did it? Either way, language closed down.

it was sold at bendels and other places too though...not just the boutique...
and i never heard that she was shutting down the label...just the store...

the store was a couple of blocks from my apt...not may favourite place...to be honest...and not my favourite collection either...to tell the truth..

i'm just shocked that she would go work at a magazine...i mean SHOCKED!!! :blink: :unsure:

oh really? I only knew it was sold at Language. I've always wondered how you can make a housebrand on par with the other brands you sell and I'm not sure how it is possible...still contemplating that.

Why is it so shocking softie?

well...technically...it's a HUGE step down...
to go from having your own business to working for a magazine?!...
i can only think that she must need the money...even though it can't be that much money and i've heard that working at that mag is a nightmare because glenda is really hard to work for...

apparently they offered the job to a bunch of people who all turned it down..probably not enough money...so it's just a surprise...it's like kate spade or vera wang going back to being an editor instead of continuing to design..it's an admission of failure... :ermm: :ninja:

hmm, I never really looked at it that way (maybe it's because your in the business and I'm not...and now that you've said it that way, it seems fairly obvious!). But at the same time, I hardly think that language is at the vera wang level. either way....those would have to be the reasons for taking it non?!

no...she's definitley at the vera wang level...it was just an example because she was once an editor as well...but the point is she will never be at the vera wang level...she's quit now...

and i thought her husband was loaded ...so i'm surprised she would take that job...
hmmmm... :ermm:

I was never that impressed with Language. I always thought it did well only because Ana had a lot of friends in the fashion industry. Since I didnt think too highly of her designs and her business, I think her new job is a move up!

ehh, she was an okay buyer I think. Language seemed to be around awhile before shopbop and stuff started carrying marc by marc and p,d&c's and stuff so it was one of the early places to find things online. maybe she has some sort of alterior motives like getting higher up within the mag industry?! Maybe she just likes accessories? :lol:

Originally posted by Meg@Dec 6 2004, 01:36 AM
ehh, she was an okay buyer I think. Language seemed to be around awhile before shopbop and stuff started carrying marc by marc and p,d&c's and stuff so it was one of the early places to find things online. maybe she has some sort of alterior motives like getting higher up within the mag industry?! Maybe she just likes accessories? :lol:
[snapback]452847[/snapback]​

Yeah agree on the ulterior motives bec. her in her new job, she can wield more power, I guess!

I just saw this thread...I'm so surprised Ana Abdul is with Harpers now :shock: but I did always wonder how Language managed to survive for as long as they did. I thought the buying was quite appaling, purely because they bought in so much of the same thing... although they did sell Temperley long before it hit mainstream, and other cool labels which no-one else in NY wanted at that time, so she did give some smaller designers a break.

Her own collection didn't do much for me either...

I often saw her in the society pages of W, so I suppose landing a job at Harpers is where she wants to be. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->