Anna Piaggi - Stylist

And finally to sum it up..........

THIRTEEN THINGS I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT A.P.
JEFFERSON HACK, CO-FOUNDER, DAZED AND CONFUSED.
  • A.P. CLAIMS THAT THE WORK SHE DOES FOR ITALIAN VOGUE IS ‘PURELY DECORATIVE’.
  • A.P. HAS AN OLIVETTI VALENTINA TYPEWRITER SHE BOUGHT IN THE 1980S. THERE IS A COPY OF IT IN THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART IN NEW YORK. IT HAS LOST ITS NUMBER 9.
  • A.P. SEES MANY THINGS REPEATED IN FASHION, BUT UNDERSTANDS THAT THE CARBON COPY FROM A TYPEWRITER HAS A DIFFERENT LOOK AND FEEL FROM THE ORIGINAL.
  • A.P. HAS WRITTEN OVER 7000 EDITORIAL PAGES IN HER CAREER.
  • A.P. ARRIVES AT THE MILAN FASHION SHOWS BY TAXI. SHE USED TO HAVE A DRIVER, BUT HE SUFFERED FROM AMNESIA AND LOST HIS WAY. SHE DOESN’T SUFFER FROM AMNESIA, BUT CAN EASILY ADOPT THE LOOK OF AMENSIA IF PROMPTED.
  • A.P. IS UNABLE TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN WHAT’S SERIOUS AND WHAT’S FUNNY, AS SHE CAN BE SERIOUSLY FUNNY.
  • A.P. WAS MARRIED FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS TO ALFA CASTALDI, WHO PASSED AWAY IN 1995. SHE BELIEVES THAT IN SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIPS YOU HAVE TO ‘ENJOY EACH OTHER’S NOISE’.
  • A.P. A ‘SILENT MOVIE STAR’ IS HOW KARL LAGERFELD DESCRIBED HER. HE DREW OVER 250 SKETCHES OF ANNA WHILE SHE LIVED IN PARIS IN THE EARLY 1970S. THE FIRST SKETCH WAS DRAWN ON A PAPER NAPKIN IN A CHINESE RESTAURANT CALLED LA ROUTE MANDARINE.
  • A.P. OFTEN USED TO RESEARCH LOCATIONS PRIOR TO ATTENDING AN OPENING OR EVENT. SHE REGARDED THIS PROCESS AS A FORM OF ‘VISUAL PREPARATION’ – ESSENTIAL PLANNING FOR HER OUTFIT.
  • A.P.’S ANACHRONISTIC APPROACH TO FASHION IS MORE A ‘KNACK’ THAN AN ACT OF ANARCHISM.
  • A.P.’S FIRST NAME IS A PALINDROME, BUT HER ANALYSIS OF CULTURE IS NOT TO LOOK BACKWARDS, ONLY FORWARDS TO THE NEWNESS OF NOW.
  • A.P. SQUEEZES REVIEWS INTO A FEW WORDS : SYNTHESISING TRENDS AND FASHION IDEAS INTO NEW FORMS. NEW EXPRESSIONS. SHE IS A CROSSWORD WITHOUT CLUES.
  • A.P. IS AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME INTO THE IDEA OF SUPERFICIAL ADVANCEMENT. BUT AS WE KNOW, THIS MOMENT HAS JUST PASSED.
ANNA PIAGGI’S FAVOURITE NUMBER IS 13.

(Quoted from Fashion-ology booklet courtesy of V&A.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thread languishing before my very eyes!

Ah well...much like the exhibition itself then. There were literally two other old Italian ladies milling around the exhibition and some bratty kids who couldn't wait to get out of the V&A. I was expecting there to be more 'hurrah' about it.

Ah well, guess I won't have to fight for tickets to the talkshow evening session with Anna Piaggi herself there!

susie! bless the day you registered at tfs:heart:
seriously, you are a wonderful member, thanks for constantly bringing in so many things!

i love how they set up the exhibition, just as chaotic and full as her pages in vogue it seems....

Anna Piaggi: An editor with h-attitude
By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5, 2006
LONDON It was "hats off!" to Anna Piaggi, as the legendary Italian editor was in conversation with the milliner Stephen Jones at the Victoria and Albert Museum last week. Piaggi, with a tottering tower of a hat standing out from the surreal black-and-white set, changed headgear as she spoke, from shiny metallic top hat to newspaper- print confection, perched above her signature smoke-blue kiss curl and Clara Bow lips.

"English hatmakers for me are really the best - and I feel better if I have a good hat on," said Piaggi, whose work is drawing 4,000 visitors a week to the V & A. "Fashion-ology" (until April 23), devoted to the visual image maker and stylist extraordinaire, is curated by Judith Clark, who presented the Piaggi seminar in conjunction with Jones.

"It is all about the hats - but we are very good friends and really trust each other," said Jones, as the conversation was punctuated with slides of the milliner's creations for Piaggi over 25 years.

"But her style is all about Anna - not about the hat," he said. Piaggi proved his point by explaining how she had layered a white work shirt, cream knitted cape and zebra-patterned Manolo Blahnik boots.

Piaggi's wardrobe has become a perambulating treasure of fashion history, and even her scarlet Olivetti Valentine typewriter, designed by Ettore Sottsass in 1969, has become iconic. (Related article, Page 24)

By the time she was snapped by her current photographer, Bardo Fabiani, in a field of yellow sunflowers in a vivid pink vintage Simonetta cloak in 1994, Piaggi had acquired the objects on the list that opens the show. It makes compelling reading: 265 pairs of shoes, 29 fans, 932 hats, 2,865 dresses, 24 aprons, 31 feather boas - and so much more. The list includes "six Christmas cards from Manolo Blahnik," the haute shoemaker who was at the seminar and whom Piaggi also considers a close friend.

Looking at a wall of images of Piaggi and her theatrical get-ups, it is easy to imagine her as some exotic bird perched on the outpost of fashion. In fact, she has been at its epicenter for nearly 50 years, as a Vogue fashion editor; as editor of Vanity, the avant-garde magazine in which she worked with the illustrator Antonio Lopez in the 1980s; and for the last 18 years in her "Doppie Pagine" or double pages, for Italian Vogue. They are a collage of visual and cultural references sweeping around a current trend.

The fascination of Piaggi the personage is captured in Karl Lagerfeld's sketches of the woman who was part of his tight-knit band in Paris throughout the 1970s. Piaggi's roots go further back to her husband of 30 years, the late photographer Alfa Castaldi, and to her friend and soul mate Vern Lambert. The Australian fashion historian first introduced her to London and to the joy of antique clothing. Vintage finds such as the Simonetta cape are on display, as well as Jean Paul Gaultier's black velvet cornet-breasted dress of 1985.

Piaggi's essence is in that well-worn phrase: "It is all in the mix." A black- and-white 3-D tableau by Richard Gray, who also made the seminar's set, creates a "habitat" for animal-print clothes, while outfits Piaggi wears juxtapose a Vivienne Westwood naughty- school-girl blazer from 1985 with Rifat Ozbek lacy bloomers and a corset- shaped hat by Jones. Her writing - even the press sheets she wrote for Prada and Missoni - contain a mélange of "roses, revers, relief, reversible - and other "fashion with an 'r'." In 7,000 editorial pages and with her warmth, wit and deep culture, Piaggi defines fashion with a piquant "p".

I love this woman--completely & utterly original in every sense of the word! So lucky to have Stephen Jones as her personal milliner..

How I'd love to see her make a cameo appearance in the What Are You Wearing Today thread!

Thanks for bringing this in..and extra-special thanks to Susie for her pics. :flower:

from showstudio.com

http://www.showstudio.com/projects/piaggi/piaggi.mov

Friday 7 April 2006

Hats off to Anna and Stephen!

Following last Friday's sold-out 'Anna Piaggi In Conversation' held at the Victoria and Albert Museum, it is our great pleasure to launch an exclusive film of the Topshop-sponsored event courtesy of SHOWstudio contributor Marcus Werner Hed. Introduced by the current 'Fashion-ology' exhibition's curator Judith Clark, the amusing and intimate conversation between Anna Piaggi and milliner Stephen Jones, centred around their mutual love of hats. Click here to witness the discussion which includes a fascinating 'trying-on session' and interaction between audience members shoe designer Manolo Blahnik and journalist Suzy Menkes.

I just cant believe that most women still daydream about SJP's closet .... JUST LOOK AT THIS!

i totally forgot that i went to see this :blush:

it was a lovely exhibit and all the illustrations were wonderful if only i could have taken pictures but there were too many people and secuirty guards:doh:

i always love the exhibits the V&A puts on of designers:heart:

susie_bubble said:
Another thread languishing before my very eyes!

Ah well...much like the exhibition itself then. There were literally two other old Italian ladies milling around the exhibition and some bratty kids who couldn't wait to get out of the V&A. I was expecting there to be more 'hurrah' about it.

Ah well, guess I won't have to fight for tickets to the talkshow evening session with Anna Piaggi herself there!
SUSIE SUSIE SUSIE...!!!...:woot::woot::woot:

i totally forgot to check back on this and now i find THIS!!!...:bounce:...
you are FANtastic!!..
thank you so much for thinking of us and for sharing these images for those of us who were unable to attend in the flesh...

this is so GREAT!...
i can't wait to go through it all...
you really are so sweet to take the time to do this...

very much appreciated my dear....
:heart::heart::heart:

This is nothing short of amazing! Thank you so much for taking these pictures susie and for sharing them with us all!

OMG Susie, I just don't have enough words to thank you...
you did a great work!!!! luv ya

(in my University library there's a book by Anna Piagi with old D.P from italian vogue...I doubt there's a link with this...but I'll try to find it back)

Vogue Italia July 1996

Cambio Della Guardia
Photo Paolo Castaldi
By Anna Piaggi

My scans

Vogue Italia November 1994

D.P. Doppie Pagine di Anna Piaggi: Rettilinea
Photo Alfa Castaldi
Illustrations Richard Gray
By Anna Piaggi
Model Janice Dickinson

My scans

Vogue Italia September 1999

D.P. Doppie Pagine di Anna Piaggi: Surface
By Anna Piaggi

My scans

Vogue Italia Supplement September 1996

Impériale Merveilleuse
Photo Bardo Fabiani
By Anna Piaggi
Models Guinevere Van Seenus, Kirsty Hume, Debbie Dietering, Trish Goff, Nadja Auremann & Unknown

justaguy

Vogue Italia December 1989
"Tattoo"
Model: Sebastian Cardin
Photographer: Gianpaolo Barbieri
Stylist: Anna Piaggi
Hair: Aldo Coppola
Makeup: Nando Chiesa

archivio.vogue.it

Vogue Italia September 1989-1
Teatralità

By Anna Piaggi