anyone heard the term 'high water' for trousers?

wob

Reaction score
i'm getting into the idea of some trousers that are slightly too short in the leg..... ive heard the term 'high water' specifically in reference to the brand dickies..... has anyone ever heard this term and know where i can get some short leg trousers for men?

(just getting shorter length trousers isn't going to work... my legs arent long enough to just get a shorter leg length.. 30" leg is sometimes too long!)

any ideas......?

wob said:
i'm getting into the idea of some trousers that are slightly too short in the leg..... ive heard the term 'high water' specifically in reference to the brand dickies..... has anyone ever heard this term and know where i can get some short leg trousers for men?

(just getting shorter length trousers isn't going to work... my legs arent long enough to just get a shorter leg length.. 30" leg is sometimes too long!)

any ideas......?

Hi wob - Why don't you take your pants to be hemmed? It only costs around $10.
And this term doesn't just refer to the dickies brand. :flower:

Luxury's Lap said:
Hi wob - Why don't you take your pants to be hemmed? It only costs around $10.
And this term doesn't just refer to the dickies brand. :flower:

okay.. we used to call them arthur's (but said with a south london accent - "arfer") as in arfer trouser leg...

i just kinda liked the idea of finding trousers made specifically to be a little shorter on the leg...

:lol: this term here is used ironically when your trousers are a bit too short, I don't like that kind of trousers but I'm tall so I often have this problem when i buy new jeans :(

You'd probably want to ask for a cropped trouser when asking a salesperson :wink:

The term 'high-water' meant you were ready for a flood with your too short pants.
It didn't infer style in anyway as it wasn't stylish back in the day :lol:

well... i did read a Johnny Depp quote once that said Kate Moss had "high water booty". i kid you not. i have used that term ever since. bit off topic but too good to not say.

Curious said:
You'd probably want to ask for a cropped trouser when asking a salesperson :wink:

The term 'high-water' meant you were ready for a flood with your too short pants.
It didn't infer style in anyway as it wasn't stylish back in the day :lol:

exactly---and it's NOT that old...:lol:...

it's just been around since the day of the flood...:wink:

I read that term somewhere ... and I dont think its old .. its FAB!

An old term? Are you kidding? Maybe regional but definately not old. I grew up in California and we always (and still do) called them highwaters.

This used to be a bad thing but in light of the Scandinavian guys I've seen trotting around Europe, highwaters seem the coolest thing in metrosexual attire.

Ask for "ankle length" trousers.

Good luck!

I still tease my mom when she wears her "high-waters!" It's definitely a term that's still around.

I've heard of "high water" to relate to capris and crops. So I'll defintely say that I've heard "high water" used to describe cropped trousers and pants. My best guess is that the sort of pants were originally designed to allow ladies to ford through water without getting their bottoms wet going through the water. But of course, they are basically a staple of spring and summer fashion nowadays. I think capris have been more popular since 1999 though they've been introduced back in the 1960s. I used to dislike capris. Some don't look all that interesting on some ladies in the past. I will say that I have had some sort of liking of slim capris and pants extending past the knee caps or above the ankles and big shoes and sandals. I guess I've liked wide-legged ankle-length pants as they are just at the ankles. It would be good enough to show off your little anklet or your shoes or sandals. A good look I've seen in print was a white peasant top, some khaki cropped pants, and some black mary jane flats. I will say that capris and cropped pants can be very nice. Only one it doesn't work in favor of are the same kinds of people who probably won't look good in culottes/gaucho pants- tall people.

And if I had to choose, I'd pick cropped pants and capris over Bermuda shorts if I were a girl.

Ahhh. I thought you were asking if the term was a new one. And it's not a new term.

But it IS still being used. and I see more and more pants like this being shown, so the idea is being used more.

I've heard the term growing up (and still living) in Sweden, but it's nothing that I would say spontanious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judy123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->