Barney's Fashion Director Discusses the Pulse in Paris

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Interview
The Pulse in Paris
Julie Gilhart

New York

Earlier this year, when The Farmers' Almanac requested our trend forecast for 2006 and beyond, it was instinctive to highlight a darker and more minimal direction for the coming seasons. The shelf life on prints and the frothy sweetness that's been circulating has grown passé, and as the pendulum of fashion works, when the industry needs a big change think the opposite of what's happening now. The call for a new slate took shape in the Paris a/w '05-'06 collections and we tapped Julie Gilhart, fashion director of Barneys, to weigh in on the big shift, the return to black, and the new spirit of accessories.

JC: Do you agree that the Paris 2005 fall collections showed first signs of a new chapter in fashion?

JG: Yes, I totally agree. There is new talent and energy in the air. Fashion over the last few years has been driven by so much hype and by people who are not necessarily good designers but are amazing stylists. We are now seeing the emergence of some great designers.

JC: Which designers made the most striking statements?

JG: The energy of the moment is being driven by Alber Elbaz for Lanvin, Olivier Theyskens for Rochas, and Nicolas Ghesquiere for Balenciaga. I also personally felt Marc Jacobs took risks and delivered a show that was one of his best and strongest statements.

JC: What does the sudden appearance of so much black mean going forward?

JG: I am not a fashion historian so I am sure there is some historical, psychological reason for this. Creatively, I feel the Victorian references pared with a '20s feel and twisted with some Goth, can be an interesting place to make a fashion statement from. I think it is not like the all black periods we have been in before. Everything is embellished and enhanced. There is an attention to detail, a polish and a luxury we haven't seen in the previous black periods. What does it mean going forward? The world is going so fast and changing constantly. How can one really predict? You just have to be sure you catch the momentum of the moment and keep close to the change that is inevitable.

JC: How strong is the role of fabrics in the new sensibilities?

JG: The fabrics give this black statement richness and allure. Nothing is flat. If it is fur, it is usually seen as an astrakhan that has texture and depth. Fabrics that are equally as rich and reflective like luscious velvets and taffetas that shimmer.

JC: There was a commercial spirit to several collections; was this a response to the tenuous currency issue? If so, was it a successful strategy?

JG: I am sure it was a strategy that some designers went for. In hindsight it was probably smart because in the end it will be easier to sell, but personally, I feel excitement is created by pushing the envelope. It creates the scenario that you want to see more. It creates energy and interest, which in turn creates desire on the customer level to want something that is exception rather than just commercial. In the end, a store needs both.

JC: What about the percolating of a new avant-garde? The outsized proportions, the lyrical and unusual details (Miyake, Comme, Undercover) — another Japanese moment?

JG: For whatever reason I think the great Japanese designers of the moment — Rei Kawakubo for Comme des Garcons, Junya Watanabe, Jun Takahashi for Undercover — give us a sense of art. It is appealing to us because it is something we usually haven't seen before. Sometimes it takes us a moment to feel comfortable but once we get familiar with it, we appreciate it, wear it, and keep it.

JC: What were the most potent suggestions for fall accessorizing?

JG: Hands down, got to have a great boot. A more structured handbag with hardware looks good. Prada and Marc Jacobs had great ones. The definition of the waist was an important theme for fall, so belts are key. It is all about necklaces. Ones that are put together with different elements — ribbon, pearls, rhinestones, etc. Lanvin has the best.

JC: What will the new mood in the designer category mean for casual clothes?

JG: I think casual clothing will just have a bit more polish and refinement to it. Barneys has such a fashion customer that in our Co-Op, the mood of the season is just as important as it is in designer.

JC: What is Barneys most excited about embracing for fall?

JG: Creating energy and emotion. Applying a consciousness to everything we do. I know it sounds fashion-y and silly but it is true. We have bought the collections with dare. Anything that is beautiful and strong we bought more of. Everyone is talking about prices being higher so you have to make sure that what you buy looks the price. We pushed the envelope on the designers that we feel are delivering strong statements — Lanvin, Rochas, and Balenciaga. We are supporting this talented crop of designers that are making statements from New York — Proenza Schouler, Derek Lam, Behnaz Sarafpour, Zac Posen, etc. We continue to search out the new and special in all categories, whether it be at a designer level or Co-Op level. The most important thing, and the thing that we are most excited about, is telling a very unique and interesting fall story.

Photos: Lanvin a/w '05-'06
Yves Saint Laurent a/w '05-'06
Christian Dior a/w '05-'06
Louis Vuitton a/w '05-'06
Comme des Garcons a/w '05-'06
Balenciaga a/w '05-'06
Undercover a/w '05-'06

I really like that article and I could not agree more. I am there. I am tired of the unpolished look for spendind so much money on things. It's not really going to be about looking rich either, it's going to be about looking put together, but not like you spent hours getting ready. There is going to a demand for real and quality accessories.

I was really happy to see this --> "Fashion over the last few years has been driven by so much hype and by people who are not necessarily good designers but are amazing stylists. We are now seeing the emergence of some great designers."

It's so true, but now ppl are over that and on to what's really real, unique, and worth it. (For me) It will show who's who in the designer world - will they go on? who will make it? who will deliver real design?

*I really don't mean to be so dramatic, they are just questions and thoughts I have*

great interview, even though mrs Barneys should add some real 'new' designers to her list...

thanks for posting stylegurrl

Ditto,Lena. Would be brilliant if they got some newer talents at Barney's. Seems they were talking of the same group for seasons already.

Lena said:
great interview, even though mrs Barneys should add some real 'new' designers to her list...

thanks for posting stylegurrl

Totally agree Lena, Albaz has been doing wonders at Lanvin for several seasons. Parts of this article I agreed with, namely the bit about hype and styling but saying how boots would be big-when haven't they been? And the hardware on bags, been around for ages. Gucci has been doing that for ages and ages. Also what was the deal about necklaces with ribbons and pearls? makes me think of something i could get at clare's like a year ago. So some of her predictions are quite spot on but others i think buy into the hype she just knocked.

thanks stylgurrl...
i liked her comments...very accurate...
i think she's right about the bags and i also would note prada's grommetted structured style...(very tempting)...and i've said before that i think lanvin is all about the necklaces...elbaz started a revolution with those pieces a couple of seasons ago and they are now going mainstream...we are going to see them everywhere...he's done so many beautiful versions now...i confess that i am going to try to do my own 'version'...

i alos agree about this new japanes avant-garde percolating...we are definitely in the midst of another very strong japanese moment...and it is influencing other designers as well...i think this is where all the volume we've heard about is really coming from ...bottom line....

it's not a coincidence that rei invited elbaz into the dover street market...he is championing this more voluminous silhouette...as is theyskens at rochas...and now marc jacobs has jumped on the bandwagon...a couple of season late maybe...but i will agree that he has come a long way...and at least he is still ahead of many of the big houses who don't take any risks at all...

**on a side note...too bad marni had a weak season...this is really the right moment for a strong marni collection...she is too inconsistent... :(

softgrey said:
thanks stylgurrl...

i alos agree about this new japanes avant-garde percolating...we are definitely in the midst of another very strong japanese moment...and it is influencing other designers as well...i think this is where all the volume we've heard about is really coming from ...bottom line....

I totally agree. Everyone from Marc Jacobs to Preen seem to be playing with volume and I look at it and go "that's soo CDG!"

Then you have labels like Cosmic Wonder and others that are really pushing that "japanese" avante garde sensibility but in a very contemporary way. I think fashion is really exciting right now minus the J'Los and other crap that seems to be in the limelight.

but all she's doing is pointing out things that are going mainstream and will be this season or next. to call this this the 'pulse' i think would suggest that it's the beginning, and to just because all these things are coming to aforefront now just makes them obvious, it doesn't mean to me that they are the pulse or anything new or what is going to be shadowing in a couple seasons time. and once again, hardware has been on bags for ages, i hardly see it as a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->