David Lynch's Mulholland Drive

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
NOTE: If any of you haven't seen the film and would not want to be spoiled of the story, ending, etc. do not continue reading any further.

Okay I just saw the film and am quite lost. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think I got the part of the 'switching', which I think helped explain alot of things. Like why Laura Ellena Harring's character got hit and how Camilla Rhodes got the part. But the rest I don't get. :( I know Lynch is not like Hitchcock who makes clean, linear mysteries, but I bet there is some logical conclusion out there. I still loved it though. :heart:
So if anyone has anything to share, please do. :flower:

i feel this is a film which compares our dreams with our realities...A wonderful cast who have taken up an amazing challenge...Lynch delivers the quirk once again and makes a statement...We are what we make our lives...but then again, we'll never really know what he's conveying.

Us from the film society (Igni, AhhGucci and I) would love to hear what otehrs thinks about this film...

I love David Lynch, i've only seen 3 movies from him: Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive and this last one has taken me a lot of time to figure it all out, i think i should watch the movie for a second time since all my conclusions come in an over-simplistic way and according to my friends, it has a deep meaning :unsure: .

i definitely agree with Amelie about the movie being a mix of dreams and reality and also, i think it's a mix of the way you want things to be and the way things really are. ....if that makes any sense :P .

i should definitely give it a second go, but at the moment, all i can say is that all the actor's performances are just phenomenal, very personal and deep and that the movie itself may be quite disturbing but it's amazing at some point.

everyone has a theory on mulholland drive, but nobody seems to know what was actually going through david lynchs head. :wacko:

its been a long time since i've seen this movie, but from what i remember, it's one big tag game

sort of like the wizard of oz...the fictional characters of the "dream" ar played by the people from reality, except in Mulholland Dr, unlike the wizard of oz, the lead character also changes roles

the film starts off with the deepest "dream", then pandoras box is opened and the truth (or reality) begins to unfold

I don't remember details from the movie, because it has been so long since i've seen it, but i'm sure you'll understand it more if you watch it again keeping what i just said in mind

I love David Lynch he is one of my most favorites :heart:

any ways its veyr confusing indeed, but it is really abotut he feeling, tis a dreaming.

but thsi may help

For those who had trouble reconstructing Mulholland Drive's plot into story upon first viewing, here is a possible reading: Diane (Naomi Watts) wins a foxtrot contest in the Midwest and follows her acting aspirations to Los Angeles. Camille Rhodes (Laura Harring) beats her out for a movie audition, but the two become friends and later lovers. Diane watches Camille start to drift away and become involved with her director, Adam Kesher (Justin Theroux). Camille starts refusing Diane sex, and invites her to a party thrown on Mulholland Drive by Adam. At the party, Camille and Adam announce their engagement; also, Diane meets Adam's mother (Ann Miller), sees a girl (Melissa George) kiss Camille, and notices a cowboy (Monty Montgomery) walk by.

Diane's obsession with Camille deepens. She goes to a restaurant named Winkie's to pay a hitman (Mark Pellegrino) to kill Camille. He tells her he will drop off a blue key when the contract has been fulfilled. At some point, Diane switches apartments with her neighbor. In her new apartment, she goes into deep depression, sleeping for three weeks in the fetal position.

There she dreams up an elaborate fantasy. In that dream, Camille is split into two characters. The first, later identified as Rita, is involved in a car accident on Mulholland Drive (the same location as the party) and loses her memory. She takes sanctuary in an empty apartment, in a complex run by Coco (Justin's mother). Betty (Diane's alter ego) arrives in Los Angeles and goes to stay at that same apartment, left vacant by her aunt. There, she meets Rita and chipperly decides to help Rita get her memory back. They find money in Rita's purse (just as we had seen it in Diane's when paying the hitman) and a strange key (similar in color but not shape to the hitman's).

Meanwhile, the director, Adam, is being pressured by a secret syndicate to recast his lead actress. They want him to choose a girl named Cammie Rhodes — the second part of Camille's split-by-Diane personality, played by the woman who Diane saw kiss Camille — but he refuses. Going home, he catches his wife cheating on him. Adam retreats to a shoddy hotel, where he discovers his bankruptcy at the hands of the syndicate, and learns he must meet with a man called "The Cowboy." He does, and the idea is reinforced that he must choose Cammie Rhodes for his lead.

Many of the sublots revolve around a diner named Winkie's. In one, a man (who had been at the register when Diane paid the hitman) recalls his vision of doom to his psychiatrist. In another, the hitman, now working for the syndicate, searches for Rita, killing an old friend and questioning a prostitute (dressed in an outfit similar to the one Diane wore to meet the hitman). Betty and Rita go to Winkie's, where the waitress's nametag (which said "Betty" when Diane met the hitman) reminds Rita of a possible lead to her past. They look up the address belonging to that name and decide to go there after Betty's audition the next day.

At her audition, Betty is excellent, garnering the attention of a talent scout, who whisks her away to the audition for Adam's movie. But Adam concedes to casting Cammie Rhodes before Betty can audition, although he is obviously drawn to Betty. Betty leaves in order to go with Rita to see the mysterious Diane. They find Diane dead (in the same position Diane is sleeping) in her apartment.

Betty and Rita go home, awkwardly admit an attraction to one another, and make love. Rita cries out "silencio" in her sleep, insisting they go to a performance art theater. There, Betty weeps as a woman sings beautifully, but the evening's performances imply that nothing they see is real. Upon finding a strange blue box in Rita's purse, they rush home.

Once home, Betty disappears, and Rita opens the box with the blue key, only to be sucked inside. The dead Diane of the dream is told to awaken by the Cowboy, returning Betty to her physical body.

Now, the dream is over, and Diane wakes to brew some coffee. Her neighbor comes over to pick up dishes left behind in the apartment switch. Diane brutally masturbates on her couch and flashes back to her experiences with Camille: making love, going to the party, visiting her on set as she flirts with Adam. Her short scenes in the apartment are the only ones that we can take as happening "now," unclouded by Diane's memory or fever dream. At the end, regret and hallucinations overcome Diane, and she shoots herself.

Thanks Space. :flower: Now it makes more sense.

I read this review by Roger Ebert and Space you're right it is about feelings/emotions and dreaming.

Originally posted by ROGER EBERT
This is a movie to surrender yourself to. If you require logic, see something else. "Mulholland Drive" works directly on the emotions, like music. Individual scenes play well by themselves, as they do in dreams, but they don't connect in a way that makes sense--again, like dreams. The way you know the movie is over is that it ends. And then you tell a friend, "I saw the weirdest movie last night." Just like you tell them you had the weirdest dream.

Overall it's really a great film. :heart:

Originally posted by Spacemiu@May 16th, 2004 - 9:15 pm
I love David Lynch he is one of my most favorites :heart:

any ways its veyr confusing indeed, but it is really abotut he feeling, tis a dreaming.

but thsi may help

For those who had trouble reconstructing Mulholland Drive's plot into story upon first viewing, here is a possible reading: Diane (Naomi Watts) wins a foxtrot contest in the Midwest and follows her acting aspirations to Los Angeles. Camille Rhodes (Laura Harring) beats her out for a movie audition, but the two become friends and later lovers. Diane watches Camille start to drift away and become involved with her director, Adam Kesher (Justin Theroux). Camille starts refusing Diane sex, and invites her to a party thrown on Mulholland Drive by Adam. At the party, Camille and Adam announce their engagement; also, Diane meets Adam's mother (Ann Miller), sees a girl (Melissa George) kiss Camille, and notices a cowboy (Monty Montgomery) walk by.

Diane's obsession with Camille deepens. She goes to a restaurant named Winkie's to pay a hitman (Mark Pellegrino) to kill Camille. He tells her he will drop off a blue key when the contract has been fulfilled. At some point, Diane switches apartments with her neighbor. In her new apartment, she goes into deep depression, sleeping for three weeks in the fetal position.

There she dreams up an elaborate fantasy. In that dream, Camille is split into two characters. The first, later identified as Rita, is involved in a car accident on Mulholland Drive (the same location as the party) and loses her memory. She takes sanctuary in an empty apartment, in a complex run by Coco (Justin's mother). Betty (Diane's alter ego) arrives in Los Angeles and goes to stay at that same apartment, left vacant by her aunt. There, she meets Rita and chipperly decides to help Rita get her memory back. They find money in Rita's purse (just as we had seen it in Diane's when paying the hitman) and a strange key (similar in color but not shape to the hitman's).

Meanwhile, the director, Adam, is being pressured by a secret syndicate to recast his lead actress. They want him to choose a girl named Cammie Rhodes — the second part of Camille's split-by-Diane personality, played by the woman who Diane saw kiss Camille — but he refuses. Going home, he catches his wife cheating on him. Adam retreats to a shoddy hotel, where he discovers his bankruptcy at the hands of the syndicate, and learns he must meet with a man called "The Cowboy." He does, and the idea is reinforced that he must choose Cammie Rhodes for his lead.

Many of the sublots revolve around a diner named Winkie's. In one, a man (who had been at the register when Diane paid the hitman) recalls his vision of doom to his psychiatrist. In another, the hitman, now working for the syndicate, searches for Rita, killing an old friend and questioning a prostitute (dressed in an outfit similar to the one Diane wore to meet the hitman). Betty and Rita go to Winkie's, where the waitress's nametag (which said "Betty" when Diane met the hitman) reminds Rita of a possible lead to her past. They look up the address belonging to that name and decide to go there after Betty's audition the next day.

At her audition, Betty is excellent, garnering the attention of a talent scout, who whisks her away to the audition for Adam's movie. But Adam concedes to casting Cammie Rhodes before Betty can audition, although he is obviously drawn to Betty. Betty leaves in order to go with Rita to see the mysterious Diane. They find Diane dead (in the same position Diane is sleeping) in her apartment.

Betty and Rita go home, awkwardly admit an attraction to one another, and make love. Rita cries out "silencio" in her sleep, insisting they go to a performance art theater. There, Betty weeps as a woman sings beautifully, but the evening's performances imply that nothing they see is real. Upon finding a strange blue box in Rita's purse, they rush home.

Once home, Betty disappears, and Rita opens the box with the blue key, only to be sucked inside. The dead Diane of the dream is told to awaken by the Cowboy, returning Betty to her physical body.

Now, the dream is over, and Diane wakes to brew some coffee. Her neighbor comes over to pick up dishes left behind in the apartment switch. Diane brutally masturbates on her couch and flashes back to her experiences with Camille: making love, going to the party, visiting her on set as she flirts with Adam. Her short scenes in the apartment are the only ones that we can take as happening "now," unclouded by Diane's memory or fever dream. At the end, regret and hallucinations overcome Diane, and she shoots herself.
thanks!!!! :woot:
that definitely helps A LOT :flower:

David Lynch is such a great storyteller i love the way he can make on scene seem ordinary and then turn it on it's ear and make it almost horrifying(sp). like the Man behind the dumpster at winkes or the Man of mystery in Lost Highway who never blinks. both those characters made it hard for me to sleep that night

Originally posted by ChixVolta@May 18th, 2004 - 8:51 pm
David Lynch is such a great storyteller i love the way he can make on scene seem ordinary and then turn it on it's ear and make it almost horrifying(sp). like the Man behind the dumpster at winkes or the Man of mystery in Lost Highway who never blinks. both those characters made it hard for me to sleep that night
yeah, he's a genius, he manages disturbing scenes at its best.

The whole movie in chronological order according to Evil Barbie 90:

Originally posted by imdb
Diane came from Canada to pursure an acting career in LA. She wanted the part in The Sylvia North story but she didn't get the part, instead, an actress named Camilla Rhodes got the part. They became friends/lovers. Then Camilla let Diane have small parts in some of her movies. Camilla is on the set of a movie directed by Adam (which diane has a small part in) and from that, a relationship evolves between adam and camilla. One day, Camilla comes over to dianes apartment and they start making out. Then camilla tells her that they shouldnt do this anymore, so diane realizes its because of camilla's relatuonship with adam. Because of her need to be with camilla, she agrees to go to a party camilla invites her to because she thinks it means their back together. They go to the party and Diane finds out that Adam and Camilla are getting married. After this, she is so mad that she hires a hitman to kill Camilla. The hitman tells her that when Camilla is dead, she will find a blue key on her coffeE table. She asks what it opens and he just laughs. Symbolically, the key opens a blue box with contains her concience with is in the form of two elderly people. After arranging the hit on camilla, diane falls asleep and has a dream. Her dream begins when we see camilla in a black car. Apperently, this is when the hit is supposed to take place. Because of diane's guilt, I assume that in her dream camilla escapes because diane feels guilt over killing her and wishes that she did escape. In her dream, everything goes dianes way. She is betty, a very good actress. Who meets Rita/Camilla who looks to her for shelter and love. Camilla Rhodes(played by someone else) only gets the part in the movie becausse powerful men only forced the director to. Adam is broke and in trouble and everything is going wrong for him. In her dream, they see that Diane Selwyn is dead. The dream ends when betty and rita go to Club Silencio whent hey see a very interesting show about illusions and how nothing is wut it seems. She wakes up just as the dream Rita looks into the contents of the blue bok which is empty. Diane wakes up and goes to open the door. As her neighbour goes to get her stuff we see that the blue key is in place which means that Camilla is dead. After the neighbour leaves, diane makes herself a cup of coffee and looks at the key for a long time. She obviously feels guilty. Her guilt is symbolized by two elderly people that are chasing her around. These people arent real, they are just wut she puts her guilt in the form of. The same can be seen in "The Passion of Chrsit" when judas is chased by many children who are taunting him and chasing him until he is forced to kill himself. Well, in this movie the guilt (the old couple) finally forces her to take the gun and shoot herself. And that's that.....

Makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->