Dior Man : New York Magazine Article - August 27, 2007

I think Dior is re-directing its target to a more mature man. Maybe us the one who liked the skinny jeans and 'cool' t-shirts are not that happy but i totally understand that the house of Dior needed another aesthetic.

As far as SS08 is concerned, Dior Homme is still sticking with the formula they have been doing for years. Honestly, I agree with a poster above in that most people are not going to notice a change in Dior Homme. I'm sure some Dior fanatics won't even be able to tell there is a design difference.
KVA for Dior's SS08 collection wasn't anything groundbreaking, but then again, he didn't have much time to come up with a full line. Probably one of the reasons it was such a small, more intmate showing.

I think the real test is going to be when Hedi comes out with his own signature line which will probably resemble Dior homme too much. I'm more interested to know what Hedi is going to do on his own than how KVA is going to incorporate his lackluster design into Dior Homme.

It doesn't really matter who designs it, apparently people are going to buy it anyway.

And to be honest, it would be nice to have Dior menswear going a bit more "under-the-radar". For I'm a bit tired of these post-Hedi-discussions...

It was fun, but back to reality. Quality & luxury. (OK, but fashion is more than just that. KVA seems extremely dull and boring in this interview. I'm not saying that I'm not supporting someone who wants to make beautiful stuff, without the hype or theatrical presentations, but I don't buy it coming from him.)

Eye-opener...
What's next?

If nobody here thinks his work is any good, unrefined, unsophisticated, it makes me wonder why he was hired.

I think it's funny how they're trying to target a new audience. Dior Homme is pretty much always sold-out, so I don't understand what the problem is with their current audience. In my opinion, Kris VA isn't creative or innovative as a designer. Well, this leaves an open window for me to jump through and fill that Hedi gap with my own designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it... it was pretty good to me... prerty classic, pretty chic...and MALE!

Precisely. I have faith in Assche to better himself as the main designer for DH.

Earlier this year, there were editorials and even candids of women wearing Dior Homme. Hedi was fired shortly. Not being totally obtuse, but the connection is there.

^i thought women who worn dior homme was around for longer than just eariler this year.

Precisely. I have faith in Assche to better himself as the main designer for DH.

Earlier this year, there were editorials and even candids of women wearing Dior Homme. Hedi was fired shortly. Not being totally obtuse, but the connection is there.

lol
women have been wearing hedi's stuff since the start. :smile:

hahaha
what a funny reason to end someone's contract.

"Yeah I saw Carine Roitfeld In ur stuff. Thats enough! you are out!"

By the way, the reason why the contract was ended was discussed in other topics......

ow and by the way....
dior homme had a special women's line
:woot:

I think it's funny how they're trying to target a new audience. Dior Homme is pretty much always sold-out, so I don't understand what the problem is with their current audience.

It's all really about image. Although Hedi is a fantastic designer his designs doesn't go hand in hand with Galliano's elegant creations or even Dior's classy and tasteful image.

Hedi's creation were during his last 1.5 years getting to exhibitionistic, medieval and dark for Dior, which is one of biggest names in fashion. He was turning the DH into a niche brand appealing to a small crowd, very skinny too. How many men do you catch on the streets wearing what I have posted below here? Hardly any, easily as many mature men would consider wearing anything like that?

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Hedi's work but I simply don't find him to be the right man for Dior, he's better off designing that type of clothing under his own name.

DH will now reposition itself as a brand for classic man.

00240f.jpg
00420f.jpg
00010f.jpg

GQStyle

^These photos are slimane work. I think you might be confused. Well i know i am now.

I think he was more so trying to show that Hedi was not a 'classic' menswear designer while at Dior Homme.

Personally, if Dior is smart, they wont change the image of the company too much. Why turn thier back on thier customers who have essentially made the brand what it is today? While I think they can incorporate KVA's classical menswear style into the line; They would be stupid to change directions entirely.
I think the only thing we will all see a difference in, is the suiting. The rest of the line (jackets, jeans, sweaters, polos, sunglasses, leather goods, etc.) will most likely stay very much the same.

Maybe some of the people that call Hedi's clothes to be too 'out there' or effeminate haven't set foot into a Dior Homme corner or boutique... the percentage of show pieces like the ones posted here is really just a fraction of what the collection in it's entirety has to offer... the collection has already seen the kind of suits Kris van Assche is doing now, it's not as if he is the only one to have ever used traditional, quality suiting fabrics. When the brand started to turn serious profits, it already catered to a wider clientele than the fashion insiders that were picking up 'subversive' show pieces - it sold the suits and the shirts and the classical leather goods to the man in his 40ies to end 50ies and upwards, and the toned-down sportswear (pea-coats, blousons, denim, jersey, knit & trainers) to a younger, yet more 'quiet' fashion counsumer than the ones that you would see at Misshapes, wearing a more elaborate image piece.

The thing is also that Dior Homme had ALWAYS been seen as entirely different worlds than the Femme and couture business. There was no competition or comparison between the two, it was simply a goal of the Dior management to open the brand for a new market and gain a piece of cake in it. Menswear was only starting to become more influential (again) when Hedi started at Dior... and he certainly opened the interest to a lot other designers, even if not conciously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->