Fashion/sex/politics

this whole thread has gone totally of topic and is now about sex in advertising...:ermm:...

the original topic was actually very good and now it's buried under this other stuff...
perhaps this last part of the thread belongs in the advertising forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
this whole thread has gone totally of topic and is now about sex in advertising...:ermm:...

the original topic was actually very good and now it's buried under this other stuff...
perhaps this last part of the thread belongs in the advertising forum...

Actually, I think this thread is still pretty good...and it hasn't really gone off topic. Just evolving, around the topic of fashion/sex/politics, where ads play a rather big part. If there were no ads, it is really unlikely that sex would play such a big part in the fashions produced. Because the fashions that we have seen since the beginning of the 20th century are strongly affected by democracy and sexual liberation. Both. Very simply put, sexual liberation lead to skimpier outfits and democracy (and its condiments) lead to a larger part of the population aspiring to wearing the prevailing fashions. And to lure a larger part to buy the clothes, advertisements had to be produced, and these advertisements (and the clothes) have proven to be more successful if sex was used to sell them. Something that is probably going to change sometime in the future, at least in the western world, since people become desensitized to sexual imagery...well....after they've reached a certain age anyway. :wink:

as one of the people who was part of the original conversation i don't see it that way...

i guess i just preferred the original conversation....
it was more interesting to me...
this stuff about sex in advertising is old news (even the articles posted are old) and not many people are even offering possible solutions...:ermm:...

it's not the original topic at all--which was more personal-
it starts with-why do you wear the things that you wear?...
and what influences you, etc...

this is about the explotation of sex by fashion in the media...
it's related ok-but it's not the same...

oh well- i guess we are just having a different conversation now...:P

cosmocat said:
I don't agree that you can compare issues and say one is more 'pressing' than the other, apart from your won perspective. I think many women (and men) are still very, very concerned with this issue, whilst most likey being engaged with other issues as well. It would be hard not to...

I wrote that it is "for me", the matter of life and death (of other peoples) take priority for now as an activist issue. It is my own perspective. I didn't say it's something that everyone should do. Please reread my post.

perhaps i'm not helping but as a keen reader in this thread (i'm still busy figuring out what i think in order to post it) i have to say i'm not loving this new direction....
dont we already have a thread on sex/eroticism in advertising, etc?.....or something along those lines, at least?...

agreed, advertising is a significant part of it all....
and attempts to present itself as the ONLY option women have....
so that whats SEXY suddenly becomes what ads portray as SEXY....

but we have to zoom out and look beyond that.....the ads are out there and the ads are working because something in us (or some of us) is RESPONDING....and why??....
this is not about the ads themselves.....but something in us that is so willing to believe what these ads are saying..... and how does that connect to the way we, as women, dress?.....

i'm still trying to figure out why i dress the way i do....
or why i feel like i WANT to dress a certain way.....what feeling i'm searching for.....if i'm looking for a reaction, and if so, which one and why?.....
and then i look at other women and wonder if they even contemplate this?....maybe we're overanalysing and they're wearing what they do to stay warm, cover up and get on with their lives??....

maybe now i'm the one who's off topic....
but i often wonder if those of us wrapped up in the wonderful world of tfs are living in our own little bubble..... if ive started to assume that every other women thinks about clothes the way the women here do..... when clearly they do NOT....

hmm....i dont know....:ermm:

I'm reviving this thread with a new focus, because I'm having an existential dilemma!

Can I be a feminist, green/anti-consumerism, and still love fashion? (Not feminist in the false 'i hate men' stereotype, but in the "empowerement of women" sense.)

I think there are extremes in the fashion world just as in any other social or political institution. On the one hand there is rampant objectification and sexualization. For instance, you have Dolce & Gabbanas ads of thinly veiled r*pe and abuse:
http://www.modellaunch.com/article.php?id=Gang_Bangs_and_Murder_Inc_at_DG
and then you have people like stella mccartney who are green, dove doing "real women" ad campaigns, etc.

I work in the fashion industry and enjoy it, but I feel guilty at the same time! How can i feel like what I'm doing is important and making a difference, not shallow and superficial?

Karma again for reviving this issue, smashinfashion. I do believe that it is possible to be kind to the earth while adhering one's own principles, and have an eye for fashion. How you spend your hard earned money is the ultimate commitment.

Buy local when you can. Seek out the designer in your neighborhood and you won't walk down the street wearing something recognizable that's worn by thousands of other people. Go to museums and look online. Just look.

There are actions we can take that must be taken. :ninja:

but i often wonder if those of us wrapped up in the wonderful world of tfs are living in our own little bubble..... if ive started to assume that every other women thinks about clothes the way the women here do..... when clearly they do NOT....
I wish more people were aware of the social, environmental, etc. implications of their choices, although even with tfs at my fingertips, I'm still privy to my own type of material victimhood. It always surprises me when I meet someone with a $100 Jessica Simpson bag, or goes happily without irony into an Urban Outfitters. Sure I put fair trade on a pedestal and absolutely dither over American Apparel, but still.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm pretty sure I dress to flatter my figure and my coloring. I will admit that I dress for men, but I also dress for women, and I also dress for myself. I dress to look attractive, and to present my personal best face to the world, and for me this doesn't include showing a lot of skin although I've known girls who can get away with baring a bit more without seeming...I don't know, victimized. I think how I dress now is how I would dress if I hadn't been bombarded with images of highly-sexualized women, if I hadn't been implicity taught to value myself as an object, incomplete without a man. I think I've come along way, although there's further to go, but I'm happy where I am in regards to the relationship between my morning ritual of getting dressed and the world I'm getting prepared to meet.

I remember as recently as my freshman year of highschool, about five years ago, I looked enviously at a classmate's figure, every slope and curve visible under her skin-tight shirt...I guess I associated a beautiful body and its display as power, and the way I approached dressing myself, a tighter and ironically less flattering (and also naturally, a bit less mature) version of how I dress now, reflected that.

What do you guys think about dressing for yourself, but showing a lot of skin? I don't think a girl/guy needs to be reed-thin to dress in less clothes and pull it off; sometimes its in her/his character, and suits them (for instance, I think it suits Tom Ford)...although very few of the females who do this actually pull it off. When people say they dress for themselves and don't care what others think, they tend to mean that they dress in a crazy, uncommon and quirky way, but what if they like to wear cleavagey shirts, midriff tops, etc. etc., just because they like it, not because of the reactions?

...or even if they don't get away with it, and everyone thinks they look funny. Like a hat that one loves, but looks ridiculous...except instead of a hat, it's boobs or something. A good metaphor, I swear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->