forthcoming LFW shows : Julian & Sophie

Miss Elaneous

Reaction score
***thought any Julian & Sophie fans might find this letter from Julian of interest***

Its rather an unusual event:

Firstly, we are about to pull out of our slot on the official London Fashion
Week catwalk schedule.

Instead, starting on Valentines Day (14th Feb, the day before LFW) and
continuing for the duration of London Fashion Week (til 20th Feb), we intend to book a room at one of London's luxury hotels
and stay in bed for the entire week.

An audience of international fashion magazine & newspaper editors, television crews, photographers and department store buyers, will then be invited to our bedroom to view our Autumn/Winter 2003 collection, entitled 'Pyjama Combat', whilst we answer questions from the sanctuary and comfort of our bed.

This event is being followed and supported by TANK magazine.

By coincidence, 14th Feb is London's 'Make Love not War' day, and the 15th will see a huge anti-war demonstration in London organised by the Stop the War Coalition and CND. Although our decision to become 'Bedtime Activists' during LFW is partly pacifist in its
intention, the main impetus behind it is more a sense of disillusion with the catwalk show circuit at a time of impending war. We have no desire to demonstrate politically against war in any conventional
way, we are just trying to express our paranoia and cynicism as fashion designers from the comfort and security of our beds.

Its a kind of escapism and retreat, rather than direct confrontation.
And its more about peace than it is about war.

With regard to our opinions on London Fashion Week, our move away from the on-schedule event isn't intended to be a negative reflection on the event itself. We work on next to nothing budgets and our collection is all about 'sleep' and so a catwalk show just doesnt suit us either in format, or financially this season.

The official LFW shows are only recognised by the BFC if they are catwalk shows: thats the system.
If we don't fit that system then we have to work outside of it. We can't say the system is wrong just because it doesn't suit us, there's room for plenty of diversity alongside the main event... thats what makes London interesting. We are simply rejecting catwalk as a format this season, but then thats more a continuation of how we always show. We've always alternated backwards and forwards between on&off schedule events, it
just depends on how we want our clothes seen.

I'm sure our unpredictability might irritate the BFC, cos they're just doing
their best to keep a structure going, but we have to survive and keep ourselves inspirational as best we can, and that's obviously more important to us than being part an elite grouping of on-schedule designers
this season.

best wishes,

julian

... that's obviously more important to us than being part an elite grouping of on-schedule designers this season.

best wishes,

julian
<span style='font-size:10'>PARAPHRASE:</span>
... you're all soulless and can kiss my ar*e.

best wishes,

julian
:o :lol: :oops:

:lol: Thanks, MissE. 8)

great idea, fresh collection -from the little that I can see here-, thanks for posting MissE and xopher for the visuals

[ot:32a6feee90]where have you been :wub: MissE?
so sad I could not receive your voice message on my mobile while in Paris :cry: i'll mail you soon :wink: [/ot:32a6feee90]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellaboyce
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->