Gaby Ouellet

Dress To Kill edi*to*r*ial “Nuit FAUVE”
Pho*tog*ra*phy Richard Bernardin
Styling Cary Tauben

dresstokillmagazine.com

Last edited by a moderator:
FASHION August 2014

Garden of Good & Evil — Things get dramatic for the August issue of FASHION Magazine with this enchanting shoot lensed by Chris Nicholls. The images star Meagan Callen and Gaby as they play light and dark roles respectively in standout fall designs selected by stylist George Antonopoulos. With each girl wearing sculptural shapes and bold accessories, it looks all good to us. / Hair by Justin German, Makeup Simone Otis, Retouching + Color Work by Lorca Moore

fashiongonerogue.com

Model Call: Gabrielle Ouellet
By Kristi Garced

Gabrielle Ouellet WWD Model Call 2014

"I’m not really a stressful person. I’m always hoping [casting agents] will like me and that it will work. Just be natural and it will happen. When I’m not nervous, I am at my best."

Regarding the glitter photos from Novembre Magazine: "Oh my God, this photo shoot was crazy. It took two weeks to take all of the glitter off. The day after the shoot, I went shopping in Paris and I was so sad because I was trying on some clothes and there was glitter everywhere."

"My mom is always getting crazy and ordering one million copies of magazines that I am in. My grandmother is so cute, too. She shows all of her friends. She doesn’t know how to use Facebook. So sometimes she’s e-mailing me for pictures."

“It’s so funny because I’m the only one in my family with these eyes,” said Gabrielle Ouellet on a recent afternoon at WWD’s office. “I don’t know if you can see it — it’s my crazy thing.”

It’s no surprise that the 18-year-old Trump-repped model from Quebec City has been featured in editorials emblazoned with the headlines “Feline” and “Animal Instinct”: her green, wide-set eyes lend her a distinctly catlike beauty and she draws frequent comparisons to a young Björk. (A quick Google image search of the Icelandic singer-songwriter confirmed the resemblance, though Ouellet disagreed.)

At 5-foot, 8-and-a-half inches, Ouellet lands on the shorter side of runway height parameters, but she still managed to walk two shows in Montreal and Toronto for fall, and has been gaining editorial ground with shoots in Oyster, Creem, Factice, Dress to Kill, Veoir and Novembre magazines. She is currently stationed in New York for two months, living in a model apartment in the East Village.

In her French-tinged accent — with a freneticism that requires her to frequently catch her breath — Ouellet talked to WWD about working at an ice cream shop, smiling (or not) for photos and her crush on Justin Bieber.

WWD: So how did you start modeling?
Gabrielle Ouellet: I was scouted by a girl on Facebook. She referred me to my mother agent, Chantale Nadeau in Canada. It’s so funny because I was baby-sitting at this time. I saw a message on Facebook, and it was like, “Hi, how tall are you?” I was like, “What the hell is that?” And then I became a model, not knowing anything about modeling except what I saw on “America’s Next Top Model.” I was 16.

WWD: What did your Facebook profile photo look like?
G.O.: It’s so funny, it happened to be a picture of my face without smiling. When I took this picture, [my friend and I] did a fun photo shoot on my street and my friend said, “Gabby, for the first time, don’t smile.” I was like, “What? No smiling? I can’t be beautiful without smiling!” I was always smiling in pictures. But I took this one [serious] picture and then I became a model from it. I really learned.

WWD: What did your life look like at the time?
G.O.: I was in school and I was also working at an ice cream bar. At the job interview, [my boss] was like, “Why do you want to work here?” I was like, “I love ice cream.” And she picked me.

WWD: Were you planning on continuing your education?
G.O.: I’m happy to be a model because I don’t know at all what I want to do. I was planning to go to CEGEP — I went there for a program for two days. I was thinking of doing part-time modeling. But I was in history class and I was like, “What the hell am I doing here? I want to be in New York.” I left school and started modeling full time. I didn’t know what I wanted to do and didn’t want to be in school studying everything.

WWD: Did you ever think you could be a model when you were growing up?
G.O.: When I was younger, I was a tomboy. Ponytails, no makeup…I didn’t care about what I wore. I didn’t care at all about the physical stuff. When I was 10 years old, I started noticing my eyes but I was so young. I posted some pictures on Facebook eventually and people were like, “You should be a model,” and I was like, “Yeah, yeah, you’re just being nice.”

WWD: Your work requires you to live in foreign cities for months at a time. Do you ever miss home?
G.O.: I love seeing my friends and my family and my dog — a goldendoodle, like a teddy bear. But [Quebec City] feels so small. I love big cities so I’m always a little sad to go back home. I know that I wanna move but I don’t know where yet. In Canada, I prefer Toronto over Quebec City. But New York is my goal.

WWD: How have your friends and family reacted to your career?
G.O.: In the beginning, my parents were a bit scared. I forget the name of this movie they saw but it’s about the worst part of the modeling industry. But now they see how I’m doing and that I’m OK and happy. They are so happy and they really believe in me. I think there are some jealous friends back home, but they don’t say it. They’re like [feigning aloofness], “Ah, cool, cool.” But my real friends are so happy for me. They are like, “You deserve this.”

WWD: Do you think your experiences in modeling have changed you in any way?
G.O.: I think I was really shy when I was younger. I’m still getting better, better at showing my personality than I was. I’m comfortable more quickly now. About my appearance, I don’t really care. I’m not like, [flipping her hair] “Oh my God, I’m so beautiful, I’m so amazing.” I have the face I have and that’s it, like it or not.

WWD: Any guilty pleasures?
G.O.: I can tell you my secret: I’m always a fan of Justin Bieber. When I was 14, I found him on YouTube before he was a star. I was like, “I’m cooler than everyone — I found him before you.” Then he became a star and I was like, “Oh my God, you’re so cute, I love you.” I had posters all over my room. My friends are like, “Come on, stop it.”

WWD: He’s been kind of a troublemaker lately, eh?
G.O.: I know. I like it.

Article with photos : http://www.wwd.com/eye/fashion/model-call-gabrielle-ouellet-7658460

modelsimetandliked

GABY OUELLET: "MY EYES ARE MY TRADE-MARK, PEOPLE ALWAYS CALL ME 'THE CAT-EYES GIRL'. EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE THEY ARE WONDERING IF THEY ARE REAL OR NOT. THAT’S WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUE AND I LIKE IT."

9th June 2014

Who is Gaby Ouellet?

18 years old french canadian girl who loves traveling. My eyes are my trade-mark, People always call me ‘‘the cat-eyes girl ‘’. Everyday of my life they are wondering if they are real or not. That’s what makes me unique and I like it. Moreover, I am really energetic and easy going. Nothing can stop me!

What did you do before modeling?

A year ago, before modeling, I was a highschool student who was working in an ice cream bar during the Summer. After highschool, my plan was to go to college, actually I went there for two days and then, when I had the opportunity to go to NY for modeling I just decided to study at distance, follow my dream and start traveling for work.

Your personal passion or hidden talents?

I always loved sports, when I was younger I was playing a lot of sports but my favorite ones were hockey and soccer. I used to play in a soccer team since I was a kid. Unfortunately I stopped because I was traveling. But I’m still a big hockey fan.

Ten years from now (you will be…)?

My dream is to work as a model as long as I can, and live in NY. I don’t know yet what there is for me after that in the future, I prefer to live one day at a time and I will be where life is taking me! I prefer to live in a life full of surprises.

Favorite word?

Crazy! Why? because when you are crazy you are having fun, laughing and you’re happy. It means having a good time for me.

What’s no fun?

Doing nothing. I love to be busy, to met new people, to visit some new places and enjoying every moment of life with my friends.

Instant gratification?

Having a good dinner at a sushi restaurant is a good treat. But there is nothing that beats a good soft ice cream. Of course, listening to my favorite music is also essential to me. Right now, I’m into hiphop/rap like Notorious B.I.G.

Current 'eye candy'?

My favorite part when Im in the plane is the spectacular view of the city from the air. It always impresses me to see such an amazing point of view. That’s an eye candy!

Something 'Timeless'?

For me, Pink Floyd’s music will always be good. This music creates a special asthmosphere that the time will never break.

A quote that sums you up:

“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it’s the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the most important thing in a person."

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!”

- Audrey Hepburn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->