• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gilliam Sneak Preview's 'Brothers Grimm'

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this...

Friday May 13 4:53 PM ET

In Terry Gilliam's fertile imagination, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm were more than fairy-tale collectors. They actually lived a fairy tale, complete with curses, monsters and an evil hag in a tower.

Gilliam and Miramax boss Harvey Weinstein showed off about 20 minutes of "The Brothers Grimm" to reporters at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday, looking to give their movie a publicity boost for its release amid the crowded summer blockbuster season.

"The Brothers Grimm" stars Matt Damon and Heath Ledger as the 19th century folklorists who gathered tales that have enchanted and terrorized generations of children.

The movie casts the Grimm siblings as hucksters who travel from town to town with a bag of tricks and a reputation as fearless monster slayers, spinning tall tales of supernatural terrors that they will exorcise for a fee.

The Grimm boys get a dose of fairy-tale reality when they encounter a true curse, complete with a forest of trees that can move on its own, a horse that swallows a child and races off with it in its belly and a 500-year-old queen in a tower (Monica Bellucci) abducting young girls to steal their life energy and preserve her beauty.

The Cannes footage revealed a blend of gritty 19th century reality and the wild, surreal visuals Gilliam ("Brazil," "The Fisher King," "Twelve Monkeys") is known for.

"I tried to bring it down to a real fairy-tale level," Gilliam said. "I want the ground to be below us, because when it disappears, it's a longer fall."

The film, Gilliam's first since 1998's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," has had a longer run to the finish line than most movies, with Gilliam laboring on it for two years and Miramax shuffling the release date repeatedly.

A year ago at Cannes, when the movie still was scheduled for release in late 2004, Miramax showed off a few minutes of "The Brothers Grimm." The release later switched to early this year, then late this year, and finally shifted back to this August.

"Last year, we showed three minutes, this year, 20 minutes. This way, about four or five years from how, you'll see the finished film," Gilliam joked.

Gilliam has had epic battles with studios and financial backers on such films as "Brazil" and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," and his uncompleted "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" with Johnny Depp shut down after just six days of shooting in 2000 because of a series of freak troubles.

Weinstein and Gilliam reportedly clashed on "The Brothers Grimm," but they appeared chummy at Cannes, and Weinstein said Miramax was releasing the film with a huge marketing blitz.

Delays on "The Brothers Grimm" resulted because Gilliam and his collaborators had to inject top-of-the-line effects and production values essentially at half-price, Weinstein said.

"It takes so long when the movie should cost $150 million and it only costs $75 million," Weinstein said.

From Yahoo!

Anybody curious how this will turn out? Will Matt and Heath's performances be a strong enough portrayal,you think? Can't stand either of them as actors so I am a tad worried. I love the Grimm Brother's...

http://www.miramax.com/thebrothersgrimm/

grimm.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Grimm boys get a dose of fairy-tale reality when they encounter a true curse, complete with a forest of trees that can move on its own, a horse that swallows a child and races off with it in its belly and a 500-year-old queen in a tower (Monica Bellucci) abducting young girls to steal their life energy and preserve her beauty."
:ninja: That alone sounds rather awesome.

oh I can't wait.

dear Heath Ledger and Matt Damon....

DONT SCREW THIS UP.

:heart: Cyn.

edit - also on a partially related note, can't wait for the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, either!!!

^Tilda Swinton is in that! Who is it she plays,again?

But yeah,Purple,the whole thing sounds fab...but I'm like Arksiel...I hope those two won't screw it up.

i didnt know a movie about this was being made.... im really excited about it!!

That's right...thanks Olga! I certainly can't wait for that one!

thanks for the info everyone...:flower:

i always get anxious when anyone tries to bring to life a classic...
or to re-do it...

i really hope this is good...
but i'm really unhappy with the casting...

interview with a vampire was ruined by tom cruise and brad pitt...
and planet of the apes was ruined by the director...tim burton...

and look what's been done to dr seuss...:ninja:...

i only hope they get both of these right...:ermm:

Well, at least we can rest assured that with Terry Gilliam involved, the levels of warped-ness should be about right. Remember, "always look on the bright side of life."

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

- look under Disney, there are two featurettes on The Chronicles of Narnia (it looks as if they aspire to make a few of the books into movies, not just this one). you have to have quicktime to play it, but from the looks of this, it will be done well. after all, they have already made a movie out of this book, I think that they just wanted to re-do it with all of the advances in technology that weve had, and with a bigger budget!

Im also anticipating the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory remake, it looks as if Johnny Depp and Tim Burton will have another great one on their hands....I've watched the preview about eight times :blush:

enjoy! :flower:

(the site is a great source for trailers, they put them up before the movies even start their ad campaigns. it's where I first learned about the Phantom of The Opera movie completely by accident, months before tv spots or previews in theaters!!!)

^ Oh thanks! Can't wait for the chronicles of Narnia & CharlieATCF It's so exciting to see the books you loved as a child (and still love) come alive! LOTR paved the way!
The Brothers Grimm looks mighty interesting. I like Matt Damon but Heath... nyeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prodigal96
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->