Graduation (PhD) gift

sleepy

Reaction score
So i will soon graduate and get my PhD and my parents want to get me a nice gift in the range $1000-$2000. I really don't want to drain my parent's finances so keeping it at the lower end would be nice. I honestly have no idea what to ask them to buy. I know that there is no such thing as everlasting gift, but I would like to get something that will last me for a while. I was thinking of either nice watch or a necklace. If it's a watch, I would like to be able to wear it on daily basis, not something flashy.

So in case anybody has any kind of suggestions, I would really appreciate it :flower:

sleepy said:
So i will soon graduate and get my PhD and my parents want to get me a nice gift in the range $1000-$2000. I really don't want to drain my parent's finances so keeping it at the lower end would be nice. I honestly have no idea what to ask them to buy. I know that there is no such thing as everlasting gift, but I would like to get something that will last me for a while. I was thinking of either nice watch or a necklace. If it's a watch, I would like to be able to wear it on daily basis, not something flashy.

So in case anybody has any kind of suggestions, I would really appreciate it :flower:

Once I'm hooded I plan on taking a long holiday! Maybe a spa get away? Bum around Europe? Treat yourself. You deserve a nice, long break. And the memories will last a lifetime. Congrats! :heart:

Actually, I was thinking of something that is going to last for a while. I am from Europe so I have visited most of places plus as a part of my PhD I get to travel a lot around the world. But yes, that's definitely an option to consider.

How about something to launch you into the next phase of your life...like a new computer or a PDA or a cool *** brief case? When i'm hooded i think i want to graduate from this old canvas laptop case to something leather (sorry to animal rights folks) or I might get myself a Blackberry. I don't expect much from my mom...i don't think she quite grasps the accomplishment. She thought i was crazy for going back to school when i already had a perfectly respectable job. :P

I think I like the watch idea best because that is something that hopefully WILL last you a lifetime. Something simple, maybe vintage with a brown leather strap would be nice.

On the other hand it is wise to consider that if you place so much meaning into an object, then you are being materialistic. If you lose that watch in twenty years time, it would be horrible because it would remind you of when you were younger or your parents etc etc. I am horribly sentimental about objects and if I no longer own them, I become a non-functioning wreck. When my parents threw away my lifelong moldy pillow when I was like 15 (yes 15!) I cried for a week. That is not a good way to be. That is an extreme example but still.

If I were you and I got on with my parents, I would go away with them for a weekend or something because they probably helped you to get to the point of getting a PhD. Also this is probably the point at which you no longer go away with them and start travelling solely with friends or a spouse or kids.

Yes, i am aware that things don't last forever and that I may end up loosing the watch or the necklace and I personally don't really care about expensive gifts, but since my parents are getting older they are insisting on getting me something valuable and long lasting. As for me, I would be OK with a $50 Fossil watch.

My parents will come here for my graduation so I will take them to NY for a weekend etc. but they insist on getting me something and I am really clueless on what to get. In general, I am OK with simple things and the most expensive thing that I own is my Thinkpad.

Oh Ok. Then the watch is great. Honestly look on eBay for really really nice vintage watches. I wouldn't go for newer ones on there if I were you, especially branded ones because there are a lot of fakes. Vintage brands I like are Hamilton, Gruen, Elgin, Bulova...
I bought this beauty off eBay but returned it because it wasnt running though the seller said it was. I think I paid something like $900. You have to be careful of course and only pay by Paypal. I have been ebaying since I was 12 so I know the ropes. If you dont, maybe go to a local dealer instead.

Picture from Ebay listing.

Attachments

• Hamilton 1.JPG
    Hamilton 1.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 5
wow, really nice watch! Yes, I am quite comfortable with ebay, have used it for 6-7 years. I'll see what I can do.

That a really beautiful watch sienna! And I agree! A piece of jewellery like that is good to mark something so special from people dear to you.

Thanks guys. I regret returning it because it would only have cost about £65 to get it functioning again. It was more the principle of the seller's dishonesty. Anyway let me know how it goes Sleepy and congrats on the PhD!

Oh and another thing about these diamond vintage watches, is that they are very tiny and delicate. The pictures make them look bigger than they are. It suits my tiny tiny wrists but bear the size in mind and get the measurements.

sleepy said:
My parents will come here for my graduation so I will take them to NY for a weekend etc. but they insist on getting me something and I am really clueless on what to get. In general, I am OK with simple things and the most expensive thing that I own is my Thinkpad.

Cogratulations, Sleepy!:heart: :flower: I am quite envious towards you. It will probably be another 2 years until I graduate with my Ph.D. I also wish my parents could come to the US for my graduation at that time, just like your parents. But my dad has been in such bad health the last a few years, he can't do any long distance travel, let alone flying across the Pacific Ocean to get here.:cry: Anyway, congrats again, and wish you enjoy your graduation and your parents' visiting! :flower:

Congrats, sleepy. What's your PhD in and from which university? What are you going to do with it?

As far as the present, walk into Tourneau (the biggest one is on Madison/57th) while you are showing your parents NY, and browse their selection of watches. They will engrave it for you for a nominal fee (or for free), so you'll have a memory. It's also the most reputable watch store with a good warranty, and a 2year 0% APR own credit card, so it can be even easier on your parent's wallet. My recommendations are:

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Ma...0/ItemType~watches//ProductId~BNM0259352.aspx

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Ma...0/ItemType~watches//ProductId~OMG0210363.aspx

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Ma...0/ItemType~watches//ProductId~OMG0252928.aspx

Tip, if you know someone in NJ - they can ship the watch there and you will save on NYC tax, which at these prices is pretty hefty.

Thanks guys for all the tips! Faust, thanks for the link, it's very useful. I will be graduating in December-January with PhD in Electrical Engineering. Well, a lot of work ahead of me, but at least the end is visible :smile:

sleepy said:
Thanks guys for all the tips! Faust, thanks for the link, it's very useful. I will be graduating in December-January with PhD in Electrical Engineering. Well, a lot of work ahead of me, but at least the end is visible :smile:

You are welcome.

Oh, that's a whole other universe :D. It's cool. I hope everything works out. Maybe one day I go for PhD, too. I need to finish my master's first :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->