Helmut Lang sold online

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
I was just doing some mid afternoon browsing and noticed that according to the shopbop.com website, they will be the exclusive online retailers of the new Helmut Lang collection (designed by the former owners/designers of Habitual denim). The following was posted:

Launching exclusively online with shopbop.com, the Helmut Lang brand has been resurrected. Under the direction of Nicole and Michael Colovos, the line will pay homage to the innovative spirit of the legendary designer. The collection is not a desire to replicate what has already been done - the archives are remaining just that - but rather to create clothes that feel right for right now. They are quietly and effortlessly cool. They are about fabric and construction and irreverence. They are Helmut Lang.

I realize this may go better in Shop Til You Drop but I find it interesting in terms of the direction they want the brand to go in that it would be sold online at shopbop (as opposed to barneys, nap, neimans, etc. etc. all other big high end retailers). I wonder if this because the price points will be lower or what exactly? It seems to definately be a reflection of the new designers familiar territory.

shopbop is so wrong for Helmut.. that's my first thought..

Last edited by a moderator:
if anything a shop like seven would have been a nicer and more logical idea....

Well for all we know it might be sold at Seven. It's just that no one else online will carry Helmut Lang.

i think shopbop is asking brands for exclusives. i also read that the price points will be lower. looking forward to seeing what they have.

Not only the prices are lower but the global image of the brand is changing: it's no longer "hi-fashion" or whatever, it's supposed to be a trendy mass market brand (think Juicy, Diesel). I, nevertheless, guess this is a bad thing:
1° For Helmut and his followers (but everyone knows this...)
2° For them. I mean, how many people who buys streetwear know/like Helmut? I don't believe they will be successful and sell a lot. Just my opinion though. I add that by lowering the level of the brand, they prevent Helmut from designing again under is own label. I don't believe he's interested in putting his name on hoodies.

I don't think thats entirely accurate. Shopbop is no Seven or A but nor is it some crap little store either. They sell mid range priced clothing. Most of it $200+ and it's not streetwear and hoodies. I do think it's accurate to say it's a fall from high fashion to midrange though.

True
I didn't say "cheap" though. Even if Diesel if ridiculously expensive, it has nothing to do with Helmut I think :s ... It's not a problem of prices (Helmut's jeans were 100 before the Prada era...) it's a problem of image...

BTW off topic, but what does exactly means "imported" in the description of the items (where there is written "made in..." most of the time)? Is that a nice way to say "made in china"?

No but there are lots of better and younger designers on shopbop other than Diesel but I understand your point and agree

oh my, it suddendly feels so really awkward to buy "Helmut Lang" nowadays.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herb2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->