Karl Lagerfeld - Designer

The two YSL French films and the recent Balenciaga series got the look of the fashion world convincingly good— and didn’t turn the characters into cartoons. Can’t say if that’s how the fashion world really looked, behaved and dressed back then as I didn’t live through those eras LOL Never watched Devil Wears Prada as the story itself was a huge turnoff: Can’t suffer modern-day Meryl and never could suffer Anne. The industry is a joke in many ways— more so now than ever, as the current plague of creatives (that apparently seemed weened on Tyra’s ANTM/Rupaul's Drag Race/Gaga’s discount DIY faSHON) that have taken over the industry are exactly the brand of caricatures that was was spoofed by everyone from French & Saunders to SNL. Just that whenever a movie— especially a very commercial Hollywood movie, makes fun of he industry, like Devil and Zoolander, it’s so obnoxious. But someone devastatingly clever like Sasha Baron Cohen’s Bruno mocking the industry however, is hilariously deserving.

Unfortunately there's a lot with Karl to easily turn him and this series into a cartoon for mass consumption. Will this be more like the solid but all-too serious Cristobal Balenciaga (doubt it)— or more like that awful queer-eye-for-the straight-guy Halston (sadly likely)…??? (Haven’t bothered with the Dior series either…)
I'm curious about your take on Phantom Thread, have you seen it?

^^^ Still haven’t watched Phantom Thread!

I’ve (re)watched Rosemary’s Baby and The Omen recently— not so much for the horror component; although the seething creepiness remains potent to this day, but more for the aesthetic. Those films capture the era of their setting/mood/style so supremely that’s so easy to get lost in. Great, strong storytelling of course, and Mia and Lee look impeccable. However, it’s always the styling of these films that hooks me in. Mahogany is also highly recommended. Not so much for the acting and story; Diana’s acting is Tyra-level of soap opera OTT cringe LOL But the wardrobe, her wardrobe, and that 70s-aesthetic is to die for.

Hoping if nothing else, this Karl series will at least get the wardrobe, and his Chanel, right. What a hilarious travesty that Ridley Scott Gucci movie was all-around, including the costuming LOL

!!!!
You need to watch this today. Fashion’s okay but it’s just such a wholesome type of sadism. You’ll love it lol.
I've seen it three times and still can't get enough. The obsession and rigidity with which Woodcock lived his life was endlessly fascinating and perversely inspiring in a way. Set design was also so gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->