Kellogg class examines value of fashion - MBA on business and fashion @ Northwestern

Cicciolina

Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-sat-retail-notebook-northwesmar29,0,1917128.story
Kellogg class examines value of fashion

MBA course teaches design's importance

INSIDE RETAILING 
BY SANDRA M. JONES

March 29, 2008

Hold onto your Jimmy Choos. A fashion class is making its debut next week at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.

The course, the first of its kind at the business school, will teach MBAs how to manage the fashion component necessary to launch and sustain a successful product, said Steven Fischer, the instructor who created the course.

There will be no talk of seams and fabrics here. Rather, students will learn how fashion can become an integral part of such mundane products as cell phones and pens.

"There's a fashion component to almost every product that we buy, and this drives consumer behavior," Fischer said.

Not long ago, it was outlandish to consider making a pink computer or a cobalt blue washing machine. Not anymore.

But for companies to compete at the fashion level, they have to introduce new products at twice the rate of their rivals, Fischer said. That leads to challenges on the management and the supply-chain side.

Language is another barrier.

"Management operates in a linear world, and designers and fashion people operate in a non-linear world," said Fischer. "Their ways of decision-making and problem-solving are quite different."

Nineteen MBAs will take part in the class called "Managing the Strategic Value of Fashion and Products." The course is part of the Segal Design Institute, which was created last year with funding from Crate & Barrel founders Gordon and Carole Segal.

Experts ranging from General Motors Corp.'s head of design to a Pantone Inc. color expert are slated to speak in the class.

When the Segal Design Institute was unveiled, visionary merchant and Kellogg MBA Gordon Segal said how much companies need graduates who have been exposed to principles of design.

"Design is probably the biggest competitive advantage the United States has in a rapidly changing and highly competitive world," he said at the time.

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to lie: I'm going to fight to get into that class... which will be tough considering I'm not in Kellogg....

Can't believe I missed this. Anyway, odd article. What was with that Sears thing tacked on at the end?

I also found it humorous that Segal said the US had a competitive advantage in it's recognition of design. I was like are you serious?! American products are so often behind Asia, Europe which often test out design features which the US later adapts. This is, imo, seen most obviously in mobile technology with the notable exception of Apple. I can't believe an idea for a course like this has just cottoned on now though. I mean, isn't it obvious? People like pretty things. If I'm going to have a washing machine for ten years, would I rather have a big square white one or pay a bit more for one that looks nicer? It seems pretty brainless. This is how the fashion industry works. You could have that plain white tshirt for $20 OR you could have one with a single seam running down the back in modal for $180. They both serve the same functions theoretically but one is prettier than the other (this assuming quality is equal of course).

I think the Sears portion of the article is something completely unrelated... perhaps another story... there may have been bolding or italicizing to separate the two but didn't transfer well onto here.... don't know.

Sorry I checked back on the link and found out I had accidentally copy and pasted the Sears article which is separate! :P I've now fixed it up.

It's my first year at NU. What school will you be in? Sorry if I sound creepy....

Weinberg.

Any recommendations for choosing a dorm and freshman seminar?

Weinberg.

Any recommendations for choosing a dorm and freshman seminar?

Regarding freshman seminars: Not really... I'm in Medill so they're not required. Just choose something that sounds fun or interesting to you. I know my friend is taking a "Victorian Secrets" seminar this quarter (that she loves) which basically covers Victorian-era literature.
As for dorms, it all depends whether you want to live on south or north campus and what you're majoring in (proximity to your classes). The north houses a more social atmosphere (that's where all the frats are... unfortunately, frats are the core of NU social life). Also, that's where the most popular freshman dorms are (Bobb, Elder) which is great for meeting new people and whatnot (at least I've heard).
The south, on the other hand, is closer to Evanston and all the "humanities" courses are there as well.
Overall, though, I'm not really sure what you're looking for in a dorm... I might be of more help if I knew at least that. ^_^

^No outrageous partying - so bob is off the list.

Nice study area and go out to party. I'm looking at residential colleges b/c of the fireside chats and what not.
Comfy, good dining hall, etc.

The south is good for studying. And, if you do want to party, there are (very) late-night shuttles that run from north-to-south campus well into 3 am so you don't have to do all that walking. It's pretty convenient. The southern freshman dorms with dining halls are 1835 Hinman (where I live right now) and Allison. Hinman is open everyday and Allison is closed on weekends. You don't have to live in a RC to attend the firesides. The RC's close to Hinman (small rooms) are Jones (the "arts" dorm... they're generally just weird) and CRC (for those interested in communications... clique-y; okay-sized rooms) and ISRC (international studies - bad/small rooms) just across the street.
1835 and Allison are usually the most popular freshman dorms on south campus. Allison has huge rooms so you're very lucky if you get to live there. Hinman's one of the nicest dorms although one of the drawbacks is the small rooms. The size is not too bad although when one sees their friends' larger rooms one can't help but feel a pang of jealousy.

*Just so you know, the seminar is for MBA's. No undergrads.

by the way, Northwestern University is a very good school.

Aaaah why did they have to introduce this NOW when I'm already committed to a different college? :( I was planning on applying to Northwestern too! Hopefully this idea will spread...

Ryerson University in Toronto just started offering an MBA program. They should offer a course like this, considering that they have a fashion program for undergrads.

They have nothing of the sorts for undergrads at NU. I kind of wanted to create my own class... something like a history of fashion sort of thing. I think I'm going to be working on the proposal/curriculum this summer and next year so that I could introduce it sometime in my third year....

^ i understand why MBA program for this was proposed. Professionals in the retail sector such as; department stores and services need to better manage and understand not only consumer behaviors, the trends to supply and demands, to how certain fashion are cyclical and some not, but understand how designers and fashion world operates. Because honestly executives and upper management don't. They're your 4 year college graduates and Phds with backgrounds in number crunching, business administration and finance.

Undergrads don't really need to be given such a course like this. it's already integrated in their business courses , although not as in depth as this one.

^ i understand why MBA program for this was proposed. Professionals in the retail sector such as; department stores and services need to better manage and understand not only consumer behaviors, the trends to supply and demands, to how certain fashion are cyclical and some not, but understand how designers and fashion world operates. Because honestly executives and upper management don't. They're your 4 year college graduates and Phds with backgrounds in number crunching, business administration and finance.

Undergrads don't really need to be given such a course like this. it's already integrated in their business courses , although not as in depth as this one.

I was thinking of a course from more of an "art history" perspective... talking about business bores me somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->