Marc Jacobs Mixes It Up

Reaction score
Here is a Guy Trebay article on Marc Jacobs, done for the New York Times back in May 2002. I thought it was a good article. Enjoy!

Marc Jacobs mixes it up

PARIS - Is it possible that the people who call Marc Jacobs an idea thief have never heard of sampling? Is it plausible that those selfsame people (and why be coy? It was Oscar de la Renta in the pages of The New York Times Magazine) may have missed school on the day when the key chapters on postmodernism were being assigned?

There is hardly a 13-year-old alive who could not explain that we inhabit an age of image saturation and appropriation, a time when some of the most interesting and widely accepted forms of the creative act involve recycling. When Moby turned a trove of obscure Southern spirituals into an irresistible compilation of ambient music, he won Grammys and made millions. When Quentin Tarantino stumbled onto Hong Kong cinema and translated it onscreen for a mass American audience, he was hailed as a wunderkind. Universities are packed with students who use other people's art and architecture as launch pads. Yet in fashion, for some reason, a charmingly antiquated, Edith Head-era notion of fashion as a pure creative effort stubbornly hangs on.

"Recently, I saw a photo of a coat I made in 1967," de la Renta said with sardonic amusement in an interview published in The Times Magazine on Sunday. "It's a full-length white vinyl with scattered sequins. Three years ago, Marc Jacobs made the identical coat."

That Jacobs' coat was not identical barely matters: A bald copy might have been even wittier. Probably better than any designer at work, Jacobs, 39, comprehends something fundamental about changes in how people make, and understand, fashion. Unlike the many brand-name designers who promote the illusion that their output results from a single prodigious creativity, Jacobs makes no pretense that fashion emerges full blown from the head of one solitary genius.

True, it is his name on the Marc Jacobs line, and on the lucrative secondary Marc by Marc Jacobs line, whose signature flat shoes and jeans are "impossible to keep in stock," according to Alain Snege, a buyer at Colette in Paris. True, it is his name that has come to be associated with the constant purring of computer registers in Louis Vuitton stores worldwide, where one after another of the bags he has produced, as the company's artistic director, has hit the consumer jackpot. And his is the name that turned up in three separate nominations (women's wear designer of the year, men's wear designer of the year, accessory designer of the year) for the 2002 Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards, to be announced on June 3. Yet Marc Jacobs is the first to admit that the credit, in many ways, doesn't really belong to him at all.

"You would have to be out of your mind to think that I do all this alone," Jacobs said here last week.

It was a cool, moody Thursday in the city where Jacobs now lives more or less full time. Watery gray light filtered in through the windows of his vast office in Vuitton headquarters, located hard by the Pont Neuf on the Right Bank. As Jacobs talked, his closest associates, the influential stylist Venetia Scott and a designer, Joseph Carter, pinned hot pants on a model with pale freckled legs.

The windowsills and office tables in Jacobs' office were jammed with what looked like a collection of Freudian Post-its: scraps and clippings and old periodicals and anything that might be considered a potential memory jog or source of inspiration. There were vintage fabric samples. There were Vogues from the 1960s. There were old issues of Seventeen. There was, centered squarely on Jacobs' desk, a picture of a wizened geezer, un-self-consciously wearing a plaid jacket over a shirt of shockingly contrasting checks.

Will fashionable women 10 months from now be encouraged to dress this way, as if they were tumbleweeds that had drifted right out of Richard Avedon's "In the American West"? Why not? "I happen to love referential material, music that refers to something, and anything where the reference is sort of lost and not in your face," Jacobs said.

There is a useful example of Jacobs' method that illustrates how much more closely his technique resembles that of, say, a frankly appropriationist band like The Strokes than a more traditional designer's. "When Venetia went out to get fabrics for a collection we were working on," he explained, "I said, 'Look at fabrics we don't ordinarily like.' I was into richer textures."

Scott returned from a vintage store with a passel of rented clothes that included a 1920s lame shirt and a 1960s dress with a goofy floral design. "I got the idea to take the '60s print and do it in a subtle way on the lame," Jacobs said. "It was not 1960s and not 1920s. It was not of the past and not in the future. It was all of those things and none of those things."

It was, in other words, like a riff or a lick that a musician might use on a record, subtle and just identifiable enough that the consumer experiences it teasingly as familiar, and also, somehow, not. "The days of the designer in his ivory tower inventing a 'look' that he dictates is fashion" are over, Jacobs said. "That whole old-school narrative of 'I just took a trip to India, and the colors and the spices and the sky and the seashells on the beaches inspired my new collection' is kind of ridiculous."

"I'm not being falsely humble," Jacobs said, in suggesting the cult of inspiration is nearly kaput. He was not being reflexively politic, either. De la Renta's fall 2002 collection was indeed inspired by a trip to the Indian subcontinent.

"People want to think of designers as these creative types who spend all their time feeling beautiful fabrics," the designer Anna Sui said, "and draping it around mannequins and drawing and having lunch." Because Jacobs, perennially unshaven and wearing rundown Adidas and striped T-shirts from Hysteric Glamour in Tokyo, does not fit the conventional image, she said, he gets "misunderstood a lot."

But can this really be so? "Oh, come on," said Kal Ruttenstein, the fashion director of Bloomingdale's. "Ever since grunge, which I loved, it's been clear that Marc had a tremendous amount of talent, that he was really good at looking for a core idea."

Jacobs' status as the insider's outsider, Ruttenstein suggested, is well cultivated. When Jacobs told this reporter, "I'm so not hip," and when he insisted that "I so don't know what I'm doing," he was, it seemed, being sincere.

Yet Jacobs' modesty is a bit hard to credit, given that his social Rolodex includes the boldface names who define the geography of global style. And his "Who, me?" demurrals are difficult to take seriously when the designers council has honored him with a shelf-load of statuettes.

"He is one of the few designers who make feminine clothes that women want to wear, but remains slightly underground," Sarah Lerfel, an owner of Colette, said.

It really is simple enough, Ruttenstein explained: "He's a cult."

Great article indeed Chicks! :flower:

Marc,like Tom Ford,I think,is one of those designers that you love or absolutely detest. Personally,I feel too many of his references are just too 'direct'. Then you have this overhyped aspect which kind of turns me off. I don't find anything cherishable about his work except that some things he's doing will eventually become a reaccuring trend in themselves.

I like Marc because he's really smart. Though he plays it down, I think he himself has such a strong grasp on trends and street style and the future of fashion. I think his approach to designing to really sensible and modern and I think he is unfairly criticized. I mean, at least he references directly and is honest about his inspirations.

And I love that he always gives plenty of credit to his design teams at both MJ and Vuitton. That's nice to see. He's so casual and not-snobby that it's almost unnerving.

I see your point and I agree especially that he never comes off as a snob. I like that aspect about him. I'm not saying anything horrible about his talents because he was big favorite of mine in the late nineties being that sort of American equivalent of Jil Sander. What's more,my tastes have kind of changed since and when he evolved into the nostalgia even more I couldn't relate to most of it--it just seemed much to literal for me.

Yeah, I totally understand, Scott. I hardly ever wear his clothes these days, but I still appreciate him for what he is. I think we all know that he isn't the next Balenciaga or Dior, but he's damn good at doing what he does. And he's marketed his brand so perfectly to straddle the line between mainstream and underground. A pretty brilliant guy, he is.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Jan 4th, 2004 - 6:53 pm
. And he's marketed his brand so perfectly to straddle the line between mainstream and underground.
I think thats very true

he seems liek a good person , beging unpretensious and not snoby, he seems more reall.

I liek his clothes and i like his shoes alot. I dount think he is amazingly creative , I doutn think he is really inovative in an artistic sens. He just makes cute stuff, wich is may be anof for him. :flower:

he dosn't have one orginal thought in his head.

i can't think of any designer i detest more than jacobs.
oh wait i can, tara subkoff. (oh opps did i just refere to her as a designer??)

CrosscountryA.JPG

and i don't know how people can think he is underground when i see his clothes at nordstroms rack.

he's been around a lot longer than people remember. he is very mainstream

I wouldn't say he is underground, lil'missy. I said that he is able to tread that fine line between mainstream and underground. He isn't mainstream in the sense that Gucci or Vuitton is. But he isn't underground either. He is his own category, I think.

I don't think many of his fans really ever has referred to him as underground. In fact,most like him because he is hip and trendy, and somehow vintage-loving girls and boys appreciate what he does even more for the simple reason that he's able to bring about certain elements of what you would find in a vintage shop on the catwalk. Mainstream-wise,he is able to come up with sellable ideas,but really and truly he is merely just commercial.

As for what was in your parentheses,that's the aspect where I think people get most confused. Never would he be considered as a designer or an innovator. At least by those who are smart. He is a stylist in the sense that he rehashes existing forms and trends from the elder and makes them slightly more plausible for this era.

i think that marc jacobs is to american fashion what gucci and prada are to italian fashion.

I agree with chick! :flower: Thanks for the article, too. :smile:

I also think Marc is going to be a new pillar of the New York fashion industry. Like Ralph and Donna he samples the past then makes it modern. They have some similarities but are totally different. :wink:

Another Marc article, blah

Marc Jacobs - the man who understands women

When women complain that men don't understand them, beware. They've obviously never experienced Marc Jacobs. Nineteen years ago an aspiring fashion designer from the Upper West Side graduated from New York's Parsons School of Design and a fairytale was born. From the inspired tableau of collage and patchwork in his latest collection of Vuitton/Verhoven bags to those seminal grunge days at Perry Ellis, Jacobs has become a cause celébre in his own right.

Everyone loves a comeback and Jacobs is fashion's trademark answer to Lazarus. After suffering at the hands of what has given him the ultimate kudos, Jacobs has risen from anti-fashion guru straight to the helm of LV. His signature mix of Spike-and-Sofia street style with haute sophistication has made him the designer most coveted by the modern woman.

How does he do it? As he says himself, "I like to design for a woman either we know or that we fantasise about knowing. It has to have validity. I don't get excited about designing for a woman who doesn't exist." This is precisely what makes him master of the female fashion psyche. Jacobs appreciates the girl who is prepared to pay for luxury but also understands that high profile may not always extend to the rue du Pont Neuf.

Marc - his eponymous diffusion line embraces this ethos in combining the spontaneous cool and super-feminine ease that makes his clothing so damn accessible...not to mention comfortable.

This juxtaposition has not only earned him the title of Women's Designer of the Year award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America but has gained him the praise of major players such as Bernard Arnault. Pop culture meets haute couture. Belle Paris meets NYC gal-about-town. Call it what you like. The mark of Marc Jacobs is definitive but beyond label.

:heart: 'super-feminine'

Great articles, thanks for posting.

I do think that Marc is often misunderstood in a variety of ways. I think his "vintage" references are meant to be ironic and witty. I actually saw an article criticizing his Spring collection (this year) for trying to return women to the 50s. Uh, no. Shouldn't people who are unwilling to undertake the slightest research be barred from writing for major fashion publications? (This was Candace Bushnell writing for Bazaar.) And I also don't understand why anyone who saw Fall 05 could continue to call him non-innovative and purely commercial. I thought it was pretty clear he was the first designer who caught the current wave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->