Mitsuko Watanabe to Depart Vogue Japan as EIC

balmain1914

Reaction score
Vouge Japan Editor in Chief Will Leave within the year, her succession has not been decided yet.

source: WWD JAPAN
「ヴォーグ ジャパン」渡辺編集長が年内で退任 | WWDJAPAN

Vogue Thailand's EIC is leaving soon too. Plus, franchising versions of Vogues (Thailand, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong) are reporting to Vogue Taiwan directly, not including Vogue China, which reports to CondeNast directly.

What on earth is happening?

I get that the regionalization is to ensure quality content on a budget, but you still need an EIC on the ground. These global editors cant oversee everything!

This is alarming. The necessary offshoot: fashion content strong, the rest... subpar. What on earth do these regional/global editors know about what the readers want for that country?

Trust me, this MARKS the FALL of Condé Nast and Vogue.

It is rumored that Vogue Japan needs to report to Vogue Taiwan directly as well.
If I was EIC of VJ, I will leave as well. Check out what Vogue Taiwan exactly was in the last decade.

Hopefully the European versions will be next. They all look the same anyways, so they might as well report to the same boss.

Did I miss something? Why does Vogue Taiwan suddenly have so much power?

Anna's best puppet in Asia Pacific region.
Also, Emmanuelle Alt and other EU EICs are reporting to Edward Enninful.

THis is some major news. No doubt why Vogue Taiwan has been doing better lately. But I wonder how people will cope with this new structure though.

Vogue Thailand's EIC is leaving soon too. Plus, franchising versions of Vogues (Thailand, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong) are reporting to Vogue Taiwan directly, not including Vogue China, which reports to CondeNast directly.

Do you by any chance has a confirmed source on this? Thanks

Truth be told, personally if I compare the Asian/South East Asian/Indian editions:

Vogue India, Vogue Thailand, Vogue Japan, Vogue Hong Kong, Vogue Korea (which used to be good), Vogue China (hit or miss for me) AND Vogue Taiwan, well Vogue Taiwan clearly blows all these editions out of the water. So to me it makes sense because it's the most creative and original version out of all these but then again I agree that Vogue Taiwan used to be the worst edition in the whooooole world lol.

Too bad because I was going to suggest this edition or Vogue China as the newbie of "the big 4" replacing Vogue Italia.

I've always had a problem with Vogue Japan's layout. Too cluttered. It's just products, products, products everywhere, buy buy buy. Even between their annual Women of the Year feature which is supposed to spotlight important efforts. Always found that so crass and tasteless. But maybe it's just because of the Japanese language or type because Brutus, Popeye and Area are also like that.

As a Westerner, I feel almost indifferent about her departure and it's mainly because the only parts of Vogue Japan I engaged with is the fashion and that's all AdR anyway. Mitsuko was not like Angelica at Vogue China where she left an undeniable footprint on the magazine. Her tenure was always overshadowed by Anna.
We still don't know whether Anna was the one who insisted on the now-signature white backdrop covers, or Mitsuko because it performed well on the newsstand?

If Vogue Japan will report to Leslie, then it's either we'll see Anna expanding on the type of creativity she did with that Albert Watson shoot, or she'll leave. But her aesthetic as it is won't fit in. And I don't think that's the direction CN wants to go anyway. They want new, young, now! *Ugh, I've been spending too much time with marketers :sick:*

Quite frankly I'd be happy if Anna leaves as well. This magazine has been the playground for Italian photographers, models, and designers and that should have changed ages ago considering the laundry list of Japanese creatives who are relegated to fillers and advertorials.

I've always had a problem with Vogue Japan's layout. Too cluttered. It's just products, products, products everywhere, buy buy buy. Even between their annual Women of the Year feature which is supposed to spotlight important efforts. Always found that so crass and tasteless. But maybe it's just because of the Japanese language or type because Brutus, Popeye and Area are also like that.

I hate the layout too, always feel like I was reading a supermarket flyer but that's the typical Japanese magazine layout style so I can't complain. Japanese love to have many infos on the same page

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->