Monster House

misssakura

Reaction score
So I went to an advanced screening today of Monster House, which has probably finished running in the U.S but it just opened here in New Zealand, and I must say i'm incredibly impressed. However I was shocked when I went onto IMDB and saw the low rating - of course IMDB users are a vast majority of morons it has to be said and rotten tomatoes is more of a definitive resource - however I would urge those who like really well done CG/Retro/80's/kids films to go and watch it or rent out a copy when it's available. I know that this is subjective so just to start off i'll list some films that I liken to this movie and really enjoyed, so if you don't like these then maybe you'll know where i'm coming from :lol:

Rushmore, Labyrinth, Toy Story, Totoro, Lilo & Stitch, Harry Potter, Hook

For a start this film is beautiful. Now I know there is a huge flux of CG movies and it does annoy me. However I think that the quality of animation, lighting, texture and character is equal to pixar. You have to see the movement of the characters to believe how insanely realisticly these characters are portrayed. Secondly, no big name actors. Ice Age 2, The Ant Bully, all of these boring generic films promote the actors within the trailer, don't even bother looking up the actors for Monster House, it isn't relevant. They are known, but they do a great job and once you see the mannerisms in the CG you'll be even more impressed when you figure out who was doing the voices.

The story goes from being very chilling and quite scary, to being funny, back to being scary, poignant, fantastical. This film isn't linear, it jumps back and forth between plot and the ending is relatively unexpected.

The music doesn't overshadow the action. Quite Danny Elfman-esque.

I know that if I rave about it too much and people do see it then they'll be disappointed. For the record i'd personally give it 8.5/10 because I love this genre, it's the intelligent kid's film, except it's more a kid's film genre written for adults, like Labyrinth (although I prefer Labyrinth, brilliant film) so perhaps it isn't for young children.

Many people on IMDB are giving it low ratings because their children were scared so maybe that is why the rating is low.

Anyway i'm just super impressed, anybody else seen it? I'd rate this as the most UNDERRATED film of the past 5 years.

It's so much better than Iceage 2 which made an insane amount of money, and i'd list it as one of the worst CG films ever made. Pitiful.

I saw this a few days ago and I agree with everything you said. I was seriously amazed by the extended first shot (can you call it a shot when its animated?). The reason that the characters' movements are so lifelike is because the actors acted everything out in front of green screens using motion capture (the same thing that was used for Gollum in Lord of the Rings). The only thing that I didn't like that much was the characters' faces - I found the expressions to be not quite right, but I can't pinpoint exactly why.

Plus it gets points for playing Siouxie and the Banshees in the final credits :-)

Haha. I actually liked it. I thought the movie was so cute. The kiss at the end was so sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->