New York Magazine Spring Fashion February 25, 2008 : Lindsay Lohan by Bert Stern

The Naked Truth on the Lindsay Lohan Spread: Artist Homage to Marilyn Monroe or Bad Career Move?

The two biggest water cooler talking points bubbling up from the freckles-and-all naked Lindsay Lohan spread in New York magazine this month: 1. Ooh. Is that a good career move? And 2. Hey! They're real!

"Obviously you can see her breasts are real," Lohan's longtime publicist Leslie Sloane Zelnik tells Radar. On the first point, though, New York may have pulled a bit of a fast one. The plan to publish nudes—a monumental move in her career—was never made clear, Lohan's rep says. Photographer Bert Stern, the now 78-year-old most famous for getting Marilyn Monroe to strip on film six weeks before her overdose on barbiturates (then going ahead and publishing contact sheets Monroe had exed out with red marker), suggested a much less revealing homage for the mag. A rumor from the very closed set suggests Stern dangled the possibility that the nudes would be displayed only in a museum or as part of his book and that the tamer shots would go to New York.

Stern did not immediately return messages left via phone and e-mail. Lauren Starke, communications manager for New York tells Radar in a statement, "We're very grateful to Lindsay Lohan for participating in this historic photo shoot with Bert Stern and we hope that she is as pleased with the beautiful results as we are."

When asked what sort of career move this might be for Lohan, Howard Bragman of 15 minutes PR says that, given the chance, he would have steered Lohan away from the shoot. It isn't so much nudity as the wrong kind of attention it inspires, he says. "She needs to get back to acting. I'd rather see her do a student film at USC than take her clothes off in a look-at-me-moment. These shots run the real risk of overshadowing her acting career." (Lohan stars in Dare to Love Me, due for an '08 release.)

Even the New York story accompanying the spread, in which Lohan comes off as deliberate and smart, subtly raises a similar point, noting that when Stern shot Monroe, she had come off of some negative publicity and her sexuality had far outpaced her acting.

"For New York magazine, it's a brilliant move. For her, it's a terrible idea,"
Ronn Torossian of 5WPR tells Radar. "For the last six weeks, she hasn't been in trouble, and then she does this.... It's okay for her to not be in the news right now."

Lohan is said to be proud of the shots and thrilled to a part of the nod to one of her idols, and Zelnik points out that Lohan is a grown woman obviously making an artistic choice, "but at the end of the day," she says, "I was shocked by this." -radar
Well I'm confused as well. No idea if this is good or bad.

Her nipples are tiny, but I think her boobs look good. It's the shape of her body that's strange (I'm not talking about her weight!) ... everything is straight up and down -- rectangular, even -- except for her large breasts. I never see women shaped like that.

It's certainly a far cry from Marilyn's hour glass. I think it's probably because Lindsay does a lot of exercises that don't really serve to make the waist pronounced...

Marilyn was certainly (or is) an iconic woman, but she was a terrible actress and not too sharp a human -- at all, for that matter.

So perhaps this is the perfect pairing.

This would have worked if it was Lindsay as Lindsay. Not trying to be anyone else or capture their essence. She's no Marilyn - she lacks the frailty, she's no Liz (I loathed those pictures) - she lacks the sensuality.
Agree. I don't know much about her, just that looking at the pictures, she looks a bit ridiculous, overdone.

I'm happy to see Tanya Pilyukova... :heart: Not keen on the shots too but her face is shining
Is it sold in France? I kinda fancy this issue for some reasons... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the lindsay mess, this issue is really great, beautiful fashion spreads, especially the dress descending one, I love how it combines art and fashion, really breathtaking especially the Zac posen and Dolce dress:heart::heart:, thanks for the scans!:flower:

my roommate said that even paris hilton would have been better for this shoot. :ninja: :ninja:

also that pr guy is right, lindsay needs to focus on her acting not her fame. and i wish the media would stop looking at the photos and say "Hey! They're real" that just makes the shoot even more tasteless.

my roommate said that even paris hilton would have been better for this shoot. :ninja: :ninja:

Her wonky eye would have ruined the shoot even more :ninja:

Marilyn had this natural glamour, and it's something Lindsay (imo) hasn't. Everytime she tries, she ends up looking trashy.

Her nipples are tiny, but I think her boobs look good. It's the shape of her body that's strange (I'm not talking about her weight!) ... everything is straight up and down -- rectangular, even -- except for her large breasts. I never see women shaped like that.

I've seen at least one other woman with a body like that :innocent: :ninja:

I think she looks great from the neck down - stunning, really. Her face and facial expressions have me at a loss, though. She looks old, tired, and confused. She seems hard and so much older than her 21 years. Marilyn was 36 at the time of "The Last Sitting" yet maintains a youthful vulnerability. It's really a shame that Burt Stern did this. "The Last Sitting" was very special and this just cheapens it.

Marilyn was certainly (or is) an iconic woman, but she was a terrible actress and not too sharp a human -- at all, for that matter.

I categorically disagree with everything you said here,and just your comment makes me wonder who much do you actually know about Monroe.Because she was a true talent and a very intelligent woman who made lots of bad choices and was not dealt with good hand by faith.

Her acting in Dont Bother to Knock, The Misfits, Some like it Hot.etc is absoloutely wonderful and shows she could go from heavy drama to comedy with the same range and diversity.Hollywood never gave her the chance and couldnt see past the silly money making blonde thing,but she was faar from being dumb or untalented,and yes she IS an Icon,still today.

Lindsay cant hold a candle to Marilyn let alone be comapred as perfect pairing!

Well I agree with you!

What "The Lindsay Lohan Photos" Are Worth?

Exactly how much is it worth to score exclusive nude photos of a hot celebrity? In the case of New York magazine's Web site, more than $500,000 so far, at least on paper.

In the never-ending battle for exclusive celebrity photos, New York could boast an awfully big catch this week: exclusive shots of a nude Lindsay Lohan recreating the legendary final photo shoot of the late Marilyn Monroe.

The photographer who snapped the photos of Lohan was Bert Stern, the same lensman who was behind the camera for Monroe's famed 1962 shoot at the Hotel Bel Air in Los Angeles. And while some magazines reportedly spend millions to get their hands on exclusive photos of celebrities or their babies, New York paid Stern its standard fee for such assignments--and paid Lohan nothing for her participation, according to magazine spokeswoman Lauren Starke.

The Feb. 25 edition of the weekly magazine, with Lohan on the front cover, hit newsstands on Monday. That same morning, the magazine posted the photo portfolio on its NYmag.com Web site.

For a site that's averaged around a million page views a day lately, the results were stunning. NYmag.com recorded a total of more than 40 million page views Monday and Tuesday, more than 34 million of which came from the Lohan portfolio, Starke said.

According to New York's online rate card, the "super banner ad" of the type that appears on the Lohan photo slideshow has a CPM (cost per 1,000 impressions) of $15. Multiply that by the number of views and the Lohan slideshow ads were valued at more than $500,000 over two days. NYmag.com probably charged far less than the rate-card rate, as is common in the industry. Starke said the magazine doesn't disclose revenue details about advertising deals.

Still, New York's Web site no doubt made out pretty well. Some perspective: Based on its rate card, New York generated about as much revenue per day from its online slideshow as it would from four $64,500 full-page color ads in its print edition.

And unlike print, the Lohan score can continue indefinitely online. Wednesday, NYmag.com posted outtakes from the Lohan shoot, "so we expect the heavy traffic to continue,'' Starke said.

The photo portfolio also boosted sales of the print edition of New York. The magazine didn't increase its print run for the Lohan issue, but did set aside an additional 5,000 copies for single-issue back orders from its Web site. As of Wednesday afternoon, the magazine had sold more than a thousand copies of the Lohan issue in this fashion, Starke said.

What about newsstand sales? Specific details weren't available Wednesday, but newsstand circulation accounts for only about 5% of New York's overall take. Starke noted that "we anticipate a very high sell-through rate and have heard anecdotal evidence of copies flying off shelves."

Forbes

I categorically disagree with everything you said here,and just your comment makes me wonder who much do you actually know about Monroe.Because she was a true talent and a very intelligent woman who made lots of bad choices and was not dealt with good hand by faith.

Her acting in Dont Bother to Knock, The Misfits, Some like it Hot.etc is absoloutely wonderful and shows she could go from heavy drama to comedy with the same range and diversity.Hollywood never gave her the chance and couldnt see past the silly money making blonde thing,but she was faar from being dumb or untalented,and yes she IS an Icon,still today.

Lindsay cant hold a candle to Marilyn let alone be comapred as perfect pairing!

I've read a lot of Marilyn and seen her movies in an attempt to get what was so special about her. And it must've been just her appearance, because she wasn't special for her acting or brains. There is no way someone can look at this woman and say "What a smart person!" She really is like the Paris Hilton we see in the media - an airhead.

i was surprised that bert stern would pick her, of all actresses to recreate the iconic monroe photo shoot...she will never come close to marilyn. is it an act of desperation on bert's part to regain notoriety? i mean, come on, it's ll...

I've read a lot of Marilyn and seen her movies in an attempt to get what was so special about her. And it must've been just her appearance, because she wasn't special for her acting or brains. There is no way someone can look at this woman and say "What a smart person!" She really is like the Paris Hilton we see in the media - an airhead.
Well you are entilted to your opinion.

But imo Marilyn was a talented actress and a very smart woman, i have read many books and seen all her movies and my conclusion is that she was an intelligent woman with alot of talent.I do fail to see why someones looks should exclude their intelligence and vice versa.:blink:

Besides the fact that Lindsey looks a bit rough, like he just picked a lady of the night and decided to recreate this, I'm so sick and tired of this recycling the past, if it's not Marylin is Brigitte, if it's not Brigitte is Audrey and then all the "golden age" icons over and over again , why all this Marylin editorials? why? If I want to see her I watch one of her movies or look for her original pictures, why would I want to see any model or actress pretending to be her. It just shows terrible lack of imagination.

I must prefer to see young unknown model creating new visual images, than all this tributes to the past.Enough!:angry:

Wait? These weren't pulled from Hustler?"

Early last week New York Magazine released a photo shoot to commemorate a famous shoot involving Marilyn Monroe that happened 46 years ago. This famous shoot was done at the Hotel Bel-Air while Monroe was supposedly drunk (which makes this new shoot all the more ironic). These photos became some of the most iconic images associated with the blonde bombshell. Six weeks after the shoot, now known as "The Last Sitting", Monroe was found dead of what many call an overdose. Now, half a century later, the same photographer, Bert Stern, found a new subject to emulate his original masterpiece. Her name is Lindsay Lohan.

Reading about this shoot has to bring most people to the foregone thought that Lindsay Lohan is an eerily appropriate choice to do the aforementioned photo shoot. It wouldn't be all that shocking to see Lohan someday succumb to the same fate Marilyn did all those years ago. Hell, I'd go as far to say that people straight up expect an early demise for Lohan. The girl lives a questionable social life all the while over shadowing her professional accomplishments, very much like Monroe.

The strange thing is, despite the similarities, most people are going to say that Monroe was leaps and bounds classier than Lohan. They'd probably go as far as to defend the original tabloid queen's questionable actions. Lindsay is not going to get that luxury because her exploits are far more publicized, which is a big difference for celebrities of this era. Celebrities have been up to some of the shame shenanigans today that they were doing years ago, but back then they didn't have the internet to spread the gossip. That is exactly why this new shoot, also titled "The Final Sitting", is probably not going to get looked upon highly by the public at large. Lindsay isn't seen as the epitome of class, so wait for the criticism from the naysayers.

Let me be one of the first to say that these photos are nothing to be scoffed at.

I'm not gonna lie, folks. Lindsay Lohan's first nude photographs are legitimately classy and quite beautiful. Yeah, it is an added bonus that you get to see her morsels for the first time, but that shouldn't detract from the artistic value of these photos. Lindsay looks damn good in them. Hell, she even looks kind of healthy. The pictures are shot quite well and the effects are just plain coot at time. However, the uncanny thing about these photos is just how similar they are to the originals. Lindsay legitimately could pass as Marilyn in a couple of them. She comes off as classy and sensuous in ways you would not expect from the troubled Hollywood starlet. Sure I have done my share of mocking Lohan, but this might be one of the few things she has done right in a long while. Should she avoid jinxing herself, she just might be able to use those to get her career back on track.
Source: http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/696...ie-02.23.08.htm

Dumb publicity stunt. Lindsay is just an irresponsible drug addict, Marilyn was tragic and pathetic. All the talk about leaving Hollywood because it corrupted her is just talk, Lindsay would end up dead but without any sympathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meineri
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->