RIP Iris Apfel - 1921-2024

Another icon gone, but she lived a very long and seemingly fun life in the end. Rest in peace !

Rest in peace… A LEGEND!

Rest in peace and glamour! I'm glad to own a Barbie doll styled by her to remember this icon! X

RIP. ❤️🧡💛

I grew up seeing her in every fashion publication, sometimes in videos of shows, when Anna Piaggi, Isabella Blow were still around... their eccentricity both in appearance and the way they seemed to interact with everyone, only made fashion more fascinating and mysterious, and like a safe place to be a little odd and not have to apologise for it!. Didn't know we were seeing the last of an old guard that seems from a very different century now. I admittedly have learned more about her career in the past 12 hours than I did when she was still attending events.. I didn't know she was involved in the White House and for that long.. I was just looking at their china collections throughout administrations and it makes me wonder if she had a say in that (since she did release her own collections).

Wonder who takes over her estate now, cause... can't wait when some of it goes up for auction, not really interested in fashion items, just so curious on what she collected outside of that.

^same, I'd never heard of her before that 2005 exhibit and accompanying profile in the NYT, fascinating to learn that was a last-minute cobbling-together by the Met! She really had such a strong sense of aesthetics and it wasn't just how she dressed herself, even her home looked fascinating in the backgrounds of her pics. You're right that she feels like one of the last of a vanishing old guard and a certain freedom in fashion that's now gone, she had a long and amazing life and she'll be missed. RIP.

Reactions: KoV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->