RIP Issey Miyake - 1938-2022

From the AP:

TOKYO (AP) — Issey Miyake, who built one of Japan’s biggest fashion brands and was known for his boldly sculpted pleated pieces as well as former Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ black turtlenecks, has died. He was 84.

Miyake died Aug. 5 of liver cancer, Miyake Design Office said Tuesday.

His office confirmed a private funeral had already been held and other ceremonies will not be held in accordance with Miyake’s wishes. Miyake kept his family life private, and survivors are not known.

^ I know.. I was just thinking of that ‘survivors are not known’ part, how amazing that in this time and age, we only think of his creations when we see his name and how easily identifiable they are because he never really compromised that and somehow seemed to have more fun (just like Yohji) by not succumbing, ignoring their surroundings and playing/exploring at his own rhythm. I was never really curious about his personal life, ‘private world’, workout regime, naked torso, where he flat irons his hair or the face lift he got (cough), what he collects, the parties he attended (and I’m sure he attended plenty). Privacy is really the ultimate luxury, peeps.. and harder to achieve and maintain now more than ever.

I love how all the tribute posts on IG always feature images from the new runway shows. Does these people not know he hasn't been involved in the runway shows in decades? Silly sausage.

without him, many of what happened in fashion would have been impossible. junya and carpe diem as the best example.
his work spoke of certain sensuality folkloristics has no words to describe
and was able to do that better than art.

A real innovator in fashion. It’s a feat to have your name attached to a technique…
Even if he stopped designing for his brand a longtime ago. I love the idea that his brand, his heritage, has been embraced by a new generation without any compromission and that he witnessed that.

We have lost so many legends of fashion. Valentino is the last one standing from the 60’s. Montana and Gaultier are maybe the last one standing from the glorious late 70’s/early 80’s and the pioneers, legendary Japanese designers standing are Yohji and Rei. In the last past 5 years we have lost Kansai, Kenzo and now Issey…

I feel like those legends needs to be celebrated even more.

RIP to this legend.

Still thinking about this & all the beauty he left in the world; what a legacy: timeless and yet utterly his own :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannah Ursula
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->