Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!

that's one of the most ridiculous assumptions i've ever heard, haha, no, i didn't mean that. i mean, honestly, i suppose i do mean that, but not in such a careless and haphazard way at all.

i'm in tenth grade so i can't really do that

me again... i'd like to apologize for the last post. i was obviously a bit snippy to you and i'm sorry, i was just offended that you basically called my aspirations unrealistic and my 'moving forward process' childish. again, sorry :(

You aspirations aren't unrealistic, but the process you've outlined for yourself, is. I'm just trying to keep it real.

You live in New York (according to your profile), therefore you have the one of the biggest fashion capitals in the world, at your disposal to play around and find your place. Pretending to be a photographer, or an editor, or a stylist, will not get you where you want to be. Go intern at a magazine, and learn how a magazine is put together. Go intern with a photographer, and learn how a real shoot is put together. Go intern with a designer (and there are TONS who are always on the hunt for good interns), and learn how the design process works; from the sketchbook, to the runway, to retailers, to the back of Anna Dello Russo. The earlier you get started can/will only help you once the competition gets fierce.

You are still very young ... and have probably 2 more years before you even graduate from high school. So, I don't think that this is such bad plan of action ... because you can at least learn a tiny bit about the challenges and perhaps develop your eye a bit ... if you make comparisons between your own work and that which you find in mags like Vogue and Elle.

But, I agree partially with kingchic, that experimenting like this as more of a hobby than a real way to find out how it realy works.

Interning is definitely a great way to learn more about any given profession and should be a goal for you, once you figure out what direction you want to go.

But, as you already know, interning is not that simple, and you are most likely too young for most internships. Most of the time the serious internships are given to fashion students ... they require that you be getting college credits for the internship. Especially in the US ... where the department of labor requires that by law ... or otherwise, you must be paid. But small companies often don't worry about that and might consider taking you on as an unpaid intern, where you do the grunt work but at least can see what it going on. But .... check you school ... see if they have any work experience programs that would allow you to try on something in the fashion industry ... it's very similar to an internship, and would be a great way to get started, if they offer that.

We have a thread here about internships .... where you can learn more about this. And we also have a thread about Becoming a Stylist, one for becoming a fashion photographer and so on. Almost any job in fashion is likely to have a thread here (fashion forecasting, merchandising, retail, pattern making, fashion illustration and dozens of others all have threads here). How you get into each of these professions varies ... sometimes fashion or some other type of school, but mostly having connections is even more important. Interning helps you make connections, so it's valuable.

Here are a few other threads the might interest you and spark some ideas:

Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School
What Career for Me ... if I Can'tSew/ Make Patterns/Draw, Etc.?
Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing
Whats your Fashion Career?
Fashion Career Focused Publications & Periodicals

Last edited by a moderator:
This nice video illustrates fashion careers at George ASDA and how they interconnect to each other (the film was made by UK fashion students:(

The Life of a Garment - From Design to Store

"This video shows just some of the people who are involved in the life of a garment before it gets to store. Our fashion designers come up with the initial concept, taking their inspiration from a variety of different places including the catwalks and street fashions. They need to work closely with our buyers and merchandisers to design collections that are both fashionable and affordable. We work with our suppliers around the world to make up samples of the initial designs. These are then checked for quality and fitted by a garment technologist using our in-house models to make sure they fit and look as they are supposed to. Once we’re happy with the garment our marketing and PR teams will decide how best to promote it in-store, online, and in advertising and the media."

Source:
http://georgestyle.george.com/2011/5/13/the-life-of-a-garment-the-people-involved

So I originally started out studying journalism but I've recently switched to museum studies instead. When I graduate from uni I will have a degree in museum studies with a minor in journalism and a concentration in history. I really want to end up in the fashion industry some how but I've struggled in the past (and now too) with figuring out what I could do. The one thing I do know is that I can't think of anything else I could do besides something relating to fashion. So I was thinking about possibly going to grad school and studying textiles and fashion. Do you think it would give me a leg up in pursing a career? I mean I will have a degree in museums (where I'd focus on being a curator) so why not expand it into textiles and fashion?
However, I am in need of help figuring out what other positions are out their besides as a curator (which I'd love to do but I'd love to explore my options)? Thanks.

So I originally started out studying journalism but I've recently switched to museum studies instead. When I graduate from uni I will have a degree in museum studies with a minor in journalism and a concentration in history. I really want to end up in the fashion industry some how but I've struggled in the past (and now too) with figuring out what I could do. The one thing I do know is that I can't think of anything else I could do besides something relating to fashion. So I was thinking about possibly going to grad school and studying textiles and fashion. Do you think it would give me a leg up in pursing a career? I mean I will have a degree in museums (where I'd focus on being a curator) so why not expand it into textiles and fashion?
However, I am in need of help figuring out what other positions are out their besides as a curator (which I'd love to do but I'd love to explore my options)? Thanks.

First .. be aware that most jobs "in fashion". other than doing something very technical, like being a designer or a pattern cutter, don't require "fashion" courses. What you need is often a very broad liberal arts background ... which is just what you have. But the most important thing is to build connectins ... because people in fashion hire people they know.

I don't see any reason to study textiles for most jobs in fashion ... unless you want to design fabrics ... it's pretty technical stuff, as I understand it. But if you want to become a curator, specializing in textiles and garments, that would definitely be helpful. I'd look more for courses that covered history of textiles, and care of textiles .... not so much about designeing them.

But, if you do decide to take any fashion courses, I strongly suggest doing internships ... in your chosen feild ... whatever you want to focus on ... because it's there that you begin to make connections.

If you are looking for other alternative careers for yourself, consider what like to do now and what you can do well. Then find a career that will use your skills and knowledge.

Based on your educational background, these are the things that come to mind: If you like to write, consider Public Relations which can lead you into working for a firm that specializes in fashion. If you like to be hands on but can't sew, consider becoming a stylist, or better yet, a fashion editor (which is really just a stylist on salary at a magazine). You have some journalism under your belt, and some fashion editors do some writing too so you can possibly use that experience as an editor or writer for a fashion magazine. Consider becoming involved in costume and/or wardrobe work if you can sew ... your background in history could be very helpful. Of course, most of the work would either be in NY or LA. What about Trend Forecasting? That's tied to history and societal changes ... but it's also a lot about statistics.

For everyone: I probably have posted these links before in this thread, but you might get more ideas in these threads, where they are talking about a variety of careers in fashion:

Fashion Industry Careers
Education for a Career in Fashion?
Whats your Fashion Career?
What Career for Me ... if I Can'tSew/ Make Patterns/Draw, Etc.?

Thanks so much BetteT! You have suggested a ton of things which I wouldn't have necessarily thought of but now I have more options to explore.:flower:

I know I would love to work within a designing house or with a designer, but I don't have artistic ability nor can I sew, so those are out of the mix.

However, I love working with people (shocking, right?) and I love meeting new people, so I thought of Public Relations/Communications along the lines of Fashion.

When I went to Fashion Week, there were PR people backstage and at the presentations. I think I would love to do that. My friend also currently interns at Stella McCartney and that's also something I'd be interested in.

So I guess my question is, what are the details behind Public Relations and Fashion? Which direction do I need to go? What's the average salary, job outlook, etc?

Also, what about a Fashion Editor? I'm currently the editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper and I oversee (edit) most of the articles that are published and posted on our website. What would one have to major in to become a fashion editor?

I'd really appreciate some advice :smile: thanks!

Also, I'm applying to schools right now (as a senior in high school) :smile: any school ideas for what I'm thinking about?

There is a thread about a PR career and how to get there, what the work is like, etc. ... you should check that out. If you actually read the whole thread, you will find that a lot of your questions will be answered there. For a PR career probably the most important skills are to be a good writer, being able to work under high pressure and having good networking skills. All about PR = Public Relations

There is more than one kind of magazine editor ... and in fashion it can include Fashion Editor (basically an in house stylist, usually the head sytlist, who is in charnge of the photoshoots), Market Editor (sort of working with new products and what is available to buy and sometimes producing features about those sort of things,) Beauty Editor and so on, in addition to the top job; Editor in Chief. We have several threads about getting into a fashion magazine career with information about various jobs and climbing to the top job. There are numerous ways to become an Editor in Chief ... but beyond experience in publishing and fashion, having the right contacts and influence in the fashion community is probably the most important. To actually do the job well ... you have to be a very savy corporate executive ... you are responsible for everything.

What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?
How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

amateur here ... baby steps into the world of fashion!!!

Hello FASHION lovers and admirers

Please bear with me this is my first post on TFS I'm still navigating my way around here.

I'm wanting to know the best way to dive head first into the world of fashion. It sounds daunting, a bit ambitious & a little broad...I know.

Like thousands of young women, I've been an avid follower and admirer of fashion since I can remember ... I love everything from ready to wear to avant garde and everything in between. I'm a simple girl...I live in Florida far from Miami (Florida's most fashionable city in my opinion). My town is big but fashionably challenged...flip flops and cut off shorts are the norm. And while I'm just as guilty (at times) I yearn for a job more original, colorful, elegant and fast-paced ... everything the world of fashion is. Sure, NYC calls my name ... but with ZERO experience and a meager paycheck, my dream to move to the big apple is less probable. Therefore, MY QUESTION is...what is the first step to a career in fashion? Is a degree in fashion journalism or public relations necessary? I'd love to work for a magazine someday...

Hi and welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Fashion ... in it'self ... is not a career. You can have a career in "fashion" by having almost any skills. It's as wide open as saying you want to work in a "company". And that makes it very confusing. So, first .... you need to decide what you want to do, in order to determine what schools and experience are needed to get into that area of fashion.

The two things you mention require good writing skills ... so if writing is your passion, either would be good to explore. You have mentioned fashion journalism ... that takes a degree in journalism ... but that means from the angle of a new reporter. And you mention PR. If you have good writing skills, can think on your feet, and respond to sudden deadlines and high pressure .... PR is definitley a good place to be. A liberal arts background is often enough to get into PR.

Read the post right above yours .... it has links to applicable threads.

Both of these professions can be started in any city ... and it doesn't have to be in New Yourk or in fashion in the beginning. You can transfer to fashion and move to New York later.

Fashion is extremely competitive ... you need friends in the business, who know you and your abilities and like you well enough to recommend you. Therefore, the most important thing to remember about getting into fashion ... no matter what you do ... is to build your connections with fashion people. Because it's those people that will give you an edge to get the jobs you want.

So ... you need to find ways to connect ... and I don't mean on Facebook. I mean meeting and working with people who are already working in fashion. Probably one of the best ways is to attend a top fashion school (FIT or Parsons for example) in the fashion city of your choice and seeking out intenships in your planned career, while you are in school. But there are many other and varied ways in ... some of them don't even require special schooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->