Ten Shopping Tips

I either shop alone or with one particular friend who I know will honestly say what she thinks and I can do the same for her.
One of my tips is 'go with your first instinct' - the times I have found something that feels just right and then gone round just about every other shop in case I prefer something, before coming back to my original choice.

If I have serious shopping to do, I definitely don't take my fiance. He likes clothes, and will look for a bit, but the second he is ready to go, he glues himself to me and follows me around the store until I get irritated and we leave!

Gosh I LOVE shopping by myself. There's nobody to worry about but me. I can stay in a store and browse as long as I want, or walk out in a matter of seconds. And for me, shopping alone is really relaxing as it gives me time for me. :blush: I think I've given up on shopping with my boyfriend. I feel guilty for dragging him to the same stores and having him follow me around like a sad puppy.

My rule as of late when it comes to shopping is... if I'm not 100% sure I want an item, I leave it alone for a week or so. If I'm still thinking about it and wanting it, then get it :P Although I am the occasional impulse shopper !

Some great tips here, here are a few of mine:

1. No matter how much you love the style, color, etc., if it does not flatter YOU, do not buy it.
2. Think "what items do I currently own that I can wear this with?" and "where can I wear this?" before buying it.
3. Do NOT focus on the size on the tag. If a size or two up from your normal size looks best on you, buy that one. Nobody sees the size, and wearing a 6 that fits well will make you look thinner than wearing a 2 that is too tight!
4. Be realistic about what a tailor can do to an item. Also, if an item needs tailoring, factor that into the price of the item.
5. Be realistic about your lifestyle when assessing how much wear you'll get out of items. Do you take public transport and is it too dirty to wear a white coat? Does it rain often where you live? How often do you ACTUALLY plan outfits ahead, have time to switch bags, etc.?
6. Always walk around a bit in shoes to see how comfortable they really are. Even very well-made shoes can be uncomfortable and a bad choice for you--it's also a matter of the shoe fitting your foot, not just the shoe!
7. Know the store's return/exchange policy, and keep your receipts in a drawer or envelope for a few months before throwing them out. If you want to exchange or return something, it is a lot easier if you go in there already well-informed about their policy, receipt in hand, than if you go in there asking what the policy is.
8. If a salesperson is rude to you or makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, leave the store or ask for someone else. It is YOUR money and they are not entitled to your commission!
9. Do not go into debt to buy clothing/shoes/accessories. Educate yourself about credit cards. If you go into debt to pay for an item, you will essentially pay many times the price for it, and it may ruin your credit. Nothing's worth that.
10. Make a budget. Fashion is awesome and we all love it, but some things like your health, your family, and your education, should come first.

Great tips, I love going shopping by myself or with one person, my friend thinks it's weird but when you have people with you they get in the way then we fight over sizes and who saw it first if we have similar tastes.

I love those and agree with most. Thanks for sharing.

I agree that it's always best to go shopping alone - and yes, my mother is the only person I'll take with me! I think it's because tastes vary so much. I know what I like and what I'll wear, someone else with a different style may not "get it". Plus, I like to take my time and go where I wish without feeling weighed down. Control freak? Perhaps. :wink:

I also that it is helpful to become friendly with shop staff at the places you frequent. At some of the independent boutiques, the staff (mostly consisting of owners over here, so you know they are passionate about the clothing) truly love the clothes and are able to give lots of advice and help. If you introduce yourself and establish yourself as a regular customer (even just dropping by often, not necessarily buying), you can expect an honest opinion from them, rather than a "Oh yeah, that looks great" to someone who isn't a regular customer.

Love that Karl Lagerfield quote. I find myself either buying very inexpensive items or very expensive items. I always get something unique, either way. The inexpensive ring from the thrift store is different and likely no one will have it, just as the more expensive handmade dress is a one-of-a-kind. Together, they make an interesting outfit with history and a modern flair.

Also love the last piece of advice - when you try something on, it should be so amazing that you love it instantly. No compromise. It's often the pieces I am "eh" about that I "wasn't sure" about in initial reaction.

Some of my tips:
* Dress comfortably, with an easy hairstyle. That way you don't have to worry about "messing up" your hair when you try on different pieces.
* Avoid "sale goggles". Definitely look to the sale section (who knows what you'll find!) but don't buy it because of the price. You should think, "Wow, I love this item!" rather than "Wow, it's so inexpensive!". With all of the sale items you buy that lie in the back of your closet, you could buy an amazing piece that you wear all of the time.
* Especially when in smaller independent boutiques (the type with a very very small selection of staff, sometimes only the owner), don't be afraid to ask the staff questions and build rapport. Introduce yourself, ask them questions about the designer you are trying on, etc. They'll be sure to help you out and next time they will go out of their way to show you what they think will look good on you, etc.
* If you're shopping at a chain store or a store that accepts returns, ALWAYS KEEP RECEIPTS and keep the tags on until you wear it out. Just in case. Although, I always think you should be 100% sure with a purchase before buying it. You want to feel good about what you buy.
* Don't be afraid to buy things outside of your comfort zone (different colors, textures, cuts than you are used to) but always stay true to your style. If it doesn't feel like it could ever be "you", don't buy it. That said, if you try something on that's different from what you usually wear but still looks like you could develop into that style, go for it! Just try not to stray from what feels right -- those pieces are the ones that never get worn. So try new things, wear different things than you're used to... but only buy if they feel like it could be a part of your new style.

I'll add more when I get more ideas. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunkist said:
3. Do NOT focus on the size on the tag. If a size or two up from your normal size looks best on you, buy that one. Nobody sees the size, and wearing a 6 that fits well will make you look thinner than wearing a 2 that is too tight!

that one is so true! When I go into a dressing room, I take three sizes- the one I think I wear, one up, and one below. Sizing is so inconsistent, I don't care what number's in there but that it fits right.

I see a lot of girls displaying their beer belly for public scrutiny because they ignore this rule! (skintight does NOT work for most people! :sick: )

Here's my tips to share -

* Only buy things that aren't available back home when traveling. I don't buy Prada when I'm away but I may buy YSL because there's no YSL store in KL and only a number of guys wear them here.

* Make an effort to discover local designers. That way, you'll have more appreciation on the local fashion industry.

Totally agree, manolocraver about the local designers. It's fun to immerse yourself in the fashion scene locally.

Another tip...

* If you're shopping for an occassion, bring everything you know you'll be wearing with you. If you're searching for shoes to go with your dress for an event, bring the dress with you. If you have your eye on a dress, wear the earrings you plan on wearing with them, the necklace, etc. This way you get a better picture of how it's going to look without fear of it not looking "right".

These advices are soo good :smile:
I always go shopping with someone. Guess, I'll need to try shopping by myself sometime.

I never ever shop with anyone. Shopping alone is the way to go.

My advice is...

1) Never discount a shop/brand. I made this mistake thinking that Zara was just work wear and would be to old for me, after scanning their window displays. After going in and having a proper look around its now part of my regular circuit and I seriously love it.

2) Always have a gander in other departments (think this has already been said) mens wear and children's can often unearth a wealth of cute accessories.

3) When sale shopping be ruthless! Don't get suckered into to an end of the road item just because its marked down. When sale shopping think timeless pieces, such as knits, classic suits and shoes, jeans and anything that will be seasonless.

my tips are mainly just for thrift shopping, because thats pretty much the only shopping i do!

1) when thrift shopping, take you time! you seriously need to look through EVERYTHING to find on good thing. i spend a good hour in each thrift shop before i move onto the next

2)almost every article of clothing i have ever bought looks better when youre wearing it then what it does on the hanger. you should try on ALOT because you might be surprised what looks the best. this rule obviously works in reverse too.

3) when thrifting, for godsake USE YOUR IMAGINATION! if you see an amazing skirt that is a fabulous colour but its too long or 3 sizes too big for you, buy it and alter it yourself. if you mess it up and totally ruin the skirt, who cares? it cost you like 6 bucks....im pretty sure you wont loose sleep over it.

4) When trying on jackets, roll up the sleeves. imo, most jackets look better with the sleeves rolled up. youd be surprised how much of a difference this makes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieS
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->