The Glamour Girl's Guide to Life - Interning in NY

First off this article totally ruined my night! I keep reading think it was going to get better and no! It just had to point out the cold hard truth that Yes the Fashion industry in NYC has Rich Social Ladies who just happen to run everything important all the while looking there 'glamour job" holders are on the look out for husbands...This isnt news to me at all. I really think that rich asisde your going to have to have connections and one thing that i did not see mentioned in this whole thread actual TALENT AT WHAT YOU DO! I mean if you get a interview show your best and still dont get hired than its just not the company or field for you. I like rangerrick14 am very worried about my future in this industry as some kid (male) with no really major funds and schooling to speak of but I just put it this way Im not stupid I KNOW all to well what goes on in NYC and I still want to be a part of it I'll do my best to get there and if this type of pro-rich,social thing gets in my way to the point where I cant do it I'll just gracefully bow out of the NYC fashion game to watch on the sidelines because if NYC is so bad to thepoint where a person with drive and talent cant make it than I'd rather enjoy my Vogue at home thank you very much :flower:

I think however that these jobs are for those people who want to work in shops and retail. If you have real talent, and go to a design school, I'm sure you'll get a much better job in the beggining then this. And you don't have to work at Ralph Lauren the second you get out of school, or if your rich. If you don't have the best contacts, you can always work your way up.

The article scared me a bit but then I realized that I'm going to be a fashion design major and not a merchandise major or something else. I'll probably be applying for Ralph Laurens desgin house, not the retail end.

Thanks for the article. I used to dream to work in NYC's big labels in their customer service line. But I don't think i have the luxury of parents who can 'back up' my expenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dolores del Rio
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->