The Most Knocked-Off Designers You've Never Heard of : Foley & Corinna

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Simply Irresistible
By ERIC WILSON
LONG before she became one half of the most knocked-off fashion label you have probably never heard of, Dana Foley was an aspiring playwright on the Lower East Side of Manhattan who used to avoid writing by shopping.
Given that there was not much money to be made by procrastinating, and that Ms. Foley had two children to feed, she often sold things at flea markets to buy more time to write. But then she would buy new clothes instead. So one day, about 12 years ago, Ms. Foley, a boho believer with rock-star hair, decided to be more resourceful and make a skirt for herself — a long, tight, sexy knit tube that she dyed in the kitchen sink.
“I avoided myself right into a new career,” she said. “I can’t make a pattern and I can’t sew, but I love clothes more than some things, more than lots of things.”
With the help of a friend who could manage a needle and thread, Ms. Foley made more skirts and put them on a table at the old flea market on Avenue of the Americas in Chelsea. The first day, she made $2,000. The kitchen became a factory. “My kids were sitting there eating pizza in a sea of organza,” she said. “I was making money for no good reason. If I had chosen this profession, I would probably still be, whatever, writing.”
Meanwhile, Anna Corinna, the future other half of the label, hated her job. Having majored in psychology at New York University, she was hired, upon graduation in 1995, as a receptionist at a shoe showroom in Trump Tower. That job did not pay well, either, so Ms. Corinna tried selling vintage clothes at the same flea market.
She arrived on weekend mornings with a big pile of whatever she thought looked interesting, like acrylic knit ponchos she bought from a closeout sale and resold for $35 to $45. Other dealers worried whether she would fit in selling such clothes, until Donna Karan, Anna Sui and other designers started shopping at Ms. Corinna’s booth. Ms. Foley was a customer, too, and as the two women became friends, they realized they had more in common than their vintage bohemian style and decided to merge their operations into one, called Foley & Corinna.
“Even though we were doing different things, our aesthetics were similar,” Ms. Corinna said. “It totally went together.”
In many regards, the story of how Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna turned a flea-market friendship into a fashion company that now has $20 million in annual retail sales is uncommon. Neither one knew much about the mechanics of design or, for that matter, business. They have never been prominently profiled in Vogue or Elle, nor have they sought the Bryant Park runways. But Ms. Corinna has an eye for vintage fashion, and Ms. Foley is intuitive about how to make new versions of those styles for modern women. For those reasons customers — and knockoff artists — have sought them out.
Perhaps because Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna have been content to remain just under the radar, companies that specialize in making cheap copies of designer fashion have been bold in appropriating their designs.
Last year, the retailer Forever 21 prominently displayed a $40 copy of a Foley & Corinna $400 floral print dress, which Paris Hilton had worn on the “Late Show With David Letterman.” The copy was so exact that a group of designers who were seeking copyright protection from Congress used it as an example of the pervasiveness of fashion piracy. Foley & Corinna’s signature City Tote handbag, a foldover style with a curved handle, also inspired copies. And a style of pants with a sewn-in belt appeared at Urban Outfitters within six months.
“We would kick people out of the store who we knew were knocking us off,” Ms. Foley said. “One guy spit at Anna’s feet when she wouldn’t let him buy a dress. He said, ‘But I could copy Marc Jacobs!’ — like it was a compliment.”
As bloggers on Fashionista.com and Counterfeitchic.com have helped uncover how much Foley & Corinna looks are being copied, the two women have found themselves pulled reluctantly into the industry debate over imitations. Indeed, as the Council of Fashion Designers of America lobbies for legislation to protect designs, the campaign has courted controversy — mostly because some designers have contested the notion that a dress or a handbag can be protected as original. Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna, having seen their work in “splurge versus steal” magazine features, said they were uncomfortable being portrayed as victims.
“People who don’t necessarily know us, when they hear of Foley & Corinna, they say, ‘Oh, they’re the ones who always get knocked off,’ ” Ms. Foley said. “They are not saying, ‘They are the ones with the most amazing ideas.’ That’s not the sentence.”
One could wonder, though, whether the copies have made more people aware of Foley & Corinna’s existence, even driving shoppers to see what the fuss is about. But Ms. Foley said that those shoppers would still prefer to pay $12 for a copied handbag than $400 to $800 for the original. And after the floral dress at Forever 21 was publicized, some customers returned the originals.
“This is the downside of being successful but relatively unknown,” said Susan Scafidi, a visiting professor at Fordham Law School and the author of the Counterfeitchic.com blog. “If you bite a well-known brand, you get caught very easily. If you bite a couple of sweet girls on the Lower East Side, how many people will notice?”
In 1999, around the time that Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna thought of opening a store, they had their first knockoff experience. Ms. Foley was selling what you might call T-shirts at the flea market. She had taken her children’s old soccer jerseys, cut them up and crudely stitched them back together into fitted halter tops, with the seams showing on the outside. They were so popular that Ms. Foley started making them for a few stores, “until the stores realized they could make them for themselves for less.” Before she knew it, the reconstructed sports T-shirts were everywhere that summer.
Ms. Foley realized that if they did not give their company a sense of establishment by opening a store, and if they did not begin to wholesale their collections more seriously, no one would perceive Foley & Corinna as more than an incubator for other designers.
So, when a landlord called to say that a former butcher’s shop at 108 Stanton Street had become available, Ms. Corinna rushed to sign the lease. The rent was about $3,500 a month, and there were constant expenses for upkeep, but she said they did not want to take out a loan or seek investors. The store, she said, worked for them — it was cheap, though for a reason. “We could hear the rats running across the ceiling like cavalry sometimes,” Ms. Foley said. “And we just put the music louder.” (They have since moved to 114 Stanton Street.) During their first year, Foley & Corinna sold $500,000 worth of clothes, a remarkable haul thanks, in part, to Ms. Corinna’s vintage business.
That business thrives because most designers take ideas from the past, especially from vintage clothes, a fact that does not help the cause for copyright protection. Designers often send memos, for example, to vintage dealers describing what they are looking for each season, and so Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna usually knew what trends were going to turn up. They also saw how women gravitated to certain pieces in the store, but never bought them because the fits were outdated.
“They were seeing something cool in it,” Ms. Foley said. “What is it?”
The idea for the City Tote happened when a customer admired a tiny vintage foldover bag Ms. Corinna had unpacked. She decided not to sell it. Instead, she realized she could enlarge the bag and add a pocket and the handle, with knots at both ends. Foley & Corinna sells more than 1,000 of the bags each month.
After the neighborhood, the fashion girls and the celebrities discovered Foley & Corinna, with its velvet chairs and chinoiserie wallpaper, Bloomingdale’s, Saks Fifth Avenue and Henri Bendel began to pick up the collection. Heidi Klum, the host of “Project Runway,” wore the label on the show; her stylist told Ms. Corinna that she was Ms. Klum’s “favorite unknown designer.”
Stephanie Solomon, the women’s fashion director at Bloomingdale’s, said the line was so popular that it sometimes sold completely off the floor. Last week, there was just one blouse left in the 59th Street store.
Two years ago, when their sales entered the millions, Ms. Foley and Ms. Corinna decided to take their business more seriously. They opened a store on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood, Calif., last year and began to scout for locations on Madison Avenue. They also hired a director of operations, retained a publicist to wrangle more celebrities into their clothes and moved their offices from the back room of the store to a showroom in Chelsea.
“We had all these things — we had this idea of being funky girls, we don’t knock anyone off, we try to have original ideas, we had a store, we had a wholesale business — so I started thinking, don’t be an idiot,” Ms. Foley said. “We would really be dumb not to take this business and tie a bow around it.”
The point, Ms. Corinna said, was to become known as something more than the company everyone copies. If they are successful, they may be able to revive some old dreams. Ms. Corinna, for one, has other business ideas and wants to spend more time with her son.
And Ms. Foley would like to buy a theater and try writing again. Of course, she will need to do some shopping first.
(nytimes.com)

Anna Corinna, left, and Dana Foley design boho-chic clothes and accessories (Ms. Corinna in a blouse of theirs). nytimes.com

Attachments

• foley1.jpg
    foley1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
comparisons of the foley + corrina originals to forever 21 copies (fashionista.com)

Attachments

• foley3.jpg
    foley3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3
  • foley4.jpg
    foley4.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2
anna corinna's bag as compared to sarah jessica parker's bitten knockoff (fashionista.com)

Attachments

• foley5.jpg
    foley5.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
thanks for posting lucy! i'm a fan of the brand, but i have to say that article doesn't make me feel bad for them, esp. since a lot of their business is based on copying vintage designs and they admit to that. but i'm not condoning what forever21 and other stores have done to their business. but this is going to be a hard law to pass.

LOVED the article ... I love it! Esp how it taps into the copycat trend amongst designers nowadays ... I had never heard of them ... but Ill admit I like their vibe ...

In a way I think they've done this to themselves by waiting so long to make a real business. I feel like if they had maybe focused more on that, they wouldn't be in this situation of being anonymous.

That said, the two or three pictures don't exactly speak of how original they are. I mean, yeah they might have been had the whole vintage-boho thing for years...but it's not as if their versions of those dresses are remarkably new. That long dress for instance, looks like something you would easily find in a vintage shop across the world, so why that's being used as a figurehead for passing laws that do have some merit is beyond me.

well,i feel if you're entire bane of existence is copying vintage clothes as is,isn't a bit hypocritical to moan about it being done to you? it's okay for references but i see more reproduction-attributes than any kind of original design approach. unless these girls came up with their own ideas and visions,then i would have a reason to complain but it just looks like rehashed carbon copies.

and i am completely opposed to copying and i have tremendous problem with it. especially,the little ones who do actually do new things but i just don't see that quality in this.

as for legislation for protection of copyrights.....i dunno...i just don't think we will see it in the foreseeable future here,as we've come to know of france's protection laws. i mean,this country's foundation is money and anything that generates money,that's all that matters. i don't mean to be so pessimistic but having realised they don't care about creatives integrity ultimately anyway,i don't have alot of confidence in such an action. i wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just think it's difficult to copyright fashion when fashion is cyclical. it's like trying to copyright history. and besides, how are legislators going to be able to define copying a style?

I don't know, I think you guys are being harsh on them. At no point do the girls say that they dislike Forever 21 etc., in fact I was surprised that their stance seemed to be 'we don't want to be a figurehead for this copyright movement'. And they openly admit that they take a lot from vintage. So I don't think they are being hypocritcal and surprisingly, they don't seem that upset. And also, their sales are constantly increasing despite knockoffs from F21.

i dunno,amanda,france has been able to implement such a protection. and yes it is cyclical as you say,but for many of the established and even alot of the lesser knowns,there are signatures....and really an overall style that remains permanent. i'm certain however,one would have to show alot of evidence to back up one's originality.

i dunno meg,they did say too,they had to kick people out of their space who they knew were copying them. and the tshirt thing that was mentioned did have the feel of bemoanment from her. as far as losing money,some people actually returned items after that F21 situation. they obviously can't love what's been happening....they sound as if they do actually want their wares to speak as their own,not just copies.

I agree with Amandabug alot of designers take inspiration from collections and/or vintage items. Sometimes they build upon them and create an entirely new item. As a designer, I see nothing wrong with doing that. In actuality taking an item to the next level by improving upon it or taking it in another direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->