The Purpose of Runway Fashions?

kettlin

Reaction score
I was wondering what the purpose of runway fashion is, for example Haute couture or Marc Jacobs' during fashion week when practically 95% of his showings are not wearable. Is it a form of art? an inspiration to other designers? I understand some runway shows showcase clothing items that are actually wearable and is a form of advertisement, but what about those that aren't? Whats the point of them?

I saw in the BBC documentary on the behind the scence of haute couture, customers see a dress that they like and get it customized for them, like maybe take off some stuff they don't like/not really wearable, shorten the length etc...

I heard that runway shows are usually just to showcase the brand, so that people will visit their store and buy other stuff that they sell.

I agree with blackpeace's remark about selling other stuff. The majority of sales for the design houses ( as everyone on here already knows) is from fragrance & sunglasses. So the designers create a fantasy ( i.e., the runway show) and since a majority of people can't afford the stuff on the runways, they'll buy some fragrance to 'identify' with the lifestyle.

I agree with blackpeace's remark about selling other stuff. The majority of sales for the design houses ( as everyone on here already knows) is from fragrance & sunglasses. So the designers create a fantasy ( i.e., the runway show) and since a majority of people can't afford the stuff on the runways, they'll buy some fragrance to 'identify' with the lifestyle.

That's a great way to put it. I sort of think of it as an art show, which some very lucky people can buy pieces from. :smile:

Is the discussion about the relevance of couture or about the relevance of fashionshows in general?

Relevance of Couture: Showcasing Brand
Relevance of Runwayshows: FASHION, baby!!!!! B)

BTW, to call the king of Fashionable American Sportswear unwearable for me, is truly a narrowminded statement and seems a bit misinformed. :shock::blink:

The relevance of couture has been discussed multiple times on tfs.
And about the relevance of runwayshows: to show a dress walking...... :heart:

And the term "unwearable" seems very, very old... Especially if u do get to see the 95% in the shops (Marc Jacobs and Cdg)

Still I'm so extremely surprised that you think Marc Jacobs' show-pieces are unwearable. Omg just look at the fabulous stuff Martin Margiela and CDG have been selling for ages. Or Balenciaga for that matter....

But it seems like you've got some fabulous fashionable adventures ahead of you. Go to Paris, and see what fashion is!!! :D :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
And the term "unwearable" seems very, very old
Totally, who cares about wearability these days? Afterall, fashion and creativity can never go hand in hand with wearability.

Some clothes items you see on runways shows are very conceptual as, not only inspiration but as a preview for collor pallets and a diversity of patterns and forms that are going to be simplified inside the whole collection.(It has been actually a repetition in the last couple of years). From an outfit you can pick a "new" trend for neckline for e.g. ... and subdivide it into other pieces that are going to be sold on shops.

Its a matter of interpretation and i personally dont see it much as a trend guide or a show of creativity, particularly from the US...

The art of designing clothes sometimes are not very understandable but the market has the job to translate it into what u call "wearable" ... or NOT. :flower:

I draw inspiration from a lot of runway outfits, however just as many if not more are just the designer's "vision" or their own interpretation of their clothing, and as a result probably not wearable for day-to-day wear.

kettlin i would say marc jacobs is wearable... i wonder what you mean :ermm:

kettlin said:
I was wondering what the purpose of runway fashion is, for example Haute couture or Marc Jacobs' during fashion week when practically 95% of his showings are not wearable.

Hmmm. . I would definitely say that ALL the pieces shown in RTW shows are completely "wearable" & something you'd see someone wear daily.

You just have to always remember it's still a SHOW. When designers put the pieces together, you have to remember they're trying to make the whole look to the collection "work".

For example, let's use this Marc Jacobs ensemble:

00100m.jpg

it is very unlikely you'd see someone on the street wear this all TOGETHER, but very likely you'd see a selection of people wearing different items the model is wearing. Maybe your grandmother would wear the coat, while a teenaged girl would wear the purse & hat, and maybe a middle aged business savvy woman would wear the pants.

It's a SHOW. The product is put together to put emphasis on the collection. The way these things are put together, yes it doesn't look like something you'd see someone stroll down the street in altogether, but most certainly these are things that people could wear :innocent:

Especially Marc Jacobs. :huh: Mostly all the RTW shows period. & as someone else had stated, it's also a matter of where you live.

also some magnificent dresses of HC could be easily seen in private parties in Asia and Middle East... if you have been you know it.

also some magnificent dresses of HC could be easily seen in private parties in Asia and Middle East... if you have been you know it.

yeah you're right. those sales are not really profitable though.

Main purpose is to create an image.

To create hype to boots accessories and perfume sales.

I don't think the sales clothing represent much in terms of volume relating to revenue.

Main purpose is to create an image.

To create hype to boots accessories and perfume sales.

I don't think the sales clothing represent much in terms of volume relating to revenue.

Unfourtunately this is what become.
The real main purpose is not to create an image but to show a new designed item. But how things have developed, fashion shows are now seen just with this point of view. The stylist position is exceeding the creation and the creator itself.
It all goes together as an image/look to transmit the idea, the collection theme and the designer purpose based in the industry criterions and consequently the style.
But my opnion is from the design point of view.:wink:

And... if it didnt represent sales volume i dont think it would be runing how it is. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
violette28
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->