Why pick an extremely young girl as an ad face?

It's interesting how we kinda talked about society's obsession with "younger girls" in Psychology.

It's primarily because it's something new, something to grab people's attention, and I also think it has to do with the fact that since they are young, they could use them again if they wanted.

Just my two cents though :smile:

Photoshop doesn't work so well on the runway - yet - and since the 70s people seem to want to have the same models on the runway and in print.

this!

also, (eek someone may have already mentioned this!) potential for longevity. If they are searching for a campaign face, beginning young provides more versatility for the future. (referring mainly to skincare etc here as opposed to high fashion.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about YOUTH, middle aged successful women don't wanna buy something that make them looking old

"young" is a thrilling image and a attention grabbing image at that.

Companies want to appeal to most buyers that virility and excitement stemming from youthful models.

At the end of the day, it's an image, a powerful and sustainable one at that at least in one's mind - being young.

all the now 40+ models from the 80s and 90s are pretty much still gorgeous, and quite a few of them are being used in campaigns again. a beautiful face is a beautiful face no matter what the age, and whether the model is old or young, their pictures are always altered and adjusted before print no matter what, so acne and wrinkles alike are non-issues.
and inside every older woman is a younger one, so a younger face does, to some degree, have the ability to appeal to a variety of generations before it might hit one that it will offend.

the female equation is thus:
youth = fertility = good.
if women are seen as more than mothers, then they too can benefit from the male equation:
age = wisdom/power = good

First, it's the thrill of the new in general. Second, it's the next big thing. Third, it's the allure of the unknown. Fourth, young models are not as bored and generally people's faces are more plastic when they are younger. And, of course, young models haven't stopped growing so their limbs appear impossibly long in photographs, something that was accomplished through no other means than just growing - so no runny, red noses, not strange veins, no greyish skin, no profuse sweating, no puking, no dehydration, no bags under the eyes....just a fresh young thing.

LOL!

You sound like you're talking about people on the verge of death, there - not just in their 20s, or 30s (or even 60s, or 70s)!

It's about YOUTH, middle aged successful women don't wanna buy something that make them looking old

I think you're thinking like a man, there? Which is hardly surprising, seeing as you are one! :D

If I'm looking to buy something, I'm actually slightly more likely to be tempted, if it's on a model I know to be around my own age, or older.

If a model is too young, one tends to wonder if the item isn't intended for someone of one's own age.

Even when I was only in my late teens, or early twenties, I remember thinking this, if I ever saw something on a model who was, very clearly, still in her early-to-mid teens.

Despite that, I pretty much wear what I like, though - so, if anything, I'm probably less affected by this phenomenon than most women are.

all the now 40+ models from the 80s and 90s are pretty much still gorgeous, and quite a few of them are being used in campaigns again. a beautiful face is a beautiful face no matter what the age, and whether the model is old or young, their pictures are always altered and adjusted before print no matter what, so acne and wrinkles alike are non-issues.
and inside every older woman is a younger one, so a younger face does, to some degree, have the ability to appeal to a variety of generations before it might hit one that it will offend.

the female equation is thus:
youth = fertility = good.
if women are seen as more than mothers, then they too can benefit from the male equation:
age = wisdom/power = good

Quite.

p*rn*gr*phy, for heterosexual men, will always have a predominance of younger women in it, for the reason you have outlined above; but there is no good reason, I can see, for why marketing aimed at women, themselves, should follow that remit?

As a woman, why should I care whether the girl/woman in the ad is still young enough to conceive, or not?

If anything, the only concern I should have, would be if she is clearly too young to legally conceive and yet, is still being portrayed in a sexual manner.

also, (eek someone may have already mentioned this!) potential for longevity. If they are searching for a campaign face, beginning young provides more versatility for the future. (referring mainly to skincare etc here as opposed to high fashion.)

Yes, but I think the point is that they often seem to get these girls really young and then boot them out the door, again, a few years later?

So, although it sounds convincing - in reality, the longevity thing appears to be a rather hollow argument?

Of course it's more disposable. A fifteen year old will not be able to raise a noise because they didn't get paid, but a twenty five year old knows their rights a lot more and probably will complain.
When you're 14, 15, 16 you don't think about signing contracts, what's the law etc (example Hailey Clauson, age 15, walking DvF even though it's against the CFDA ruling). When you're older you will think more about what you're doing, you've learned lessons, you're more world-wise... you don't let people take advantage of you.

This post sounds really cynical but it's true. Children (because a 15 yo is still a child) are overworked and underpaid all the time.

I still don't get why it's legal for a 15 year old model to work over the hours and get paid under minimum wage, is there some sort of loophole that the industry has found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->