young designers built network @ myspace

Myspace is a really powerful tool, especially for generation Y and the tail end of gen X. Most everyone I know is in front of a computer all day, whether they're doing graphic design or video production or data entry. It's more of a distraction or break in the flow of the day.

On the flip side, it's free advertising and you become way more accessible to more people, so potential clients can actually interact with you and get to know you and your ideas more than they would say in an ad in a magazine in a major magazine. The only time you would get coverage like that woud be earned media, and that wouldn't happen with a new designer.

MT, thanks for sharing those ideas

i totally agree with you on the 'bad image' of myspace but i've been getting this feedback mainly from people based in USA who dont really 'experience' myspace in order to see firsthand it's networking opportunities

we dont mind the 'teens universe' over here in europe, we actually find it 'fresh' to 'listen' to what the teens and young consumers prefer

as for networking/promoting reasons, myspace totally rocks

OH great more ape **** in ourfaces....
Dont we have enough propaganda in our lives.......and what the devil ........who the duece would do that on myspace.

EDIT -*please see tFS guidelines regarding profanity*

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread! Does anyone know of any avant-garde designers? I need some for an editorial and spread im doing

i might make a balenciaga fan-page :P
fan pages are better than fakes right?

i have kim jones, anastase, and pugh on my list but open to others, i wish nicholas had a page

JR1 said:
i might make a balenciaga fan-page :P
fan pages are better than fakes right?

indeed...no one is pretending to be a designer/model they're not. haha btw you were right! There is 1000 gemmas on myspace LOL :shock:

What immediately came to my mind when I read the title of this thread was the network of independent apparel designers, ranging in ages about 20-35. These designers are not of the teenage "cut a bunch of holes in a t-shirt and call myself a designer" category; these designers have real, legitimate talent. They have honed their craft. They push the limits of their creativity. They typically have had formal training. They play with shapes, colors, materials. Their creations are sold in their hometown local boutiques, on their own webpages, or in online stores like cutxpaste.com. One example of such a person is Rebecca Turbow:

http://www.myspace.com/rebeccaturbow

If you go to her MySpace site, you will see she used much of the networking methods--posting a link to their own webpage, posting articles about herself, posting images of her work--that Mengly and Lena talked about. You will also see that there are many other young designers in Rebecca's "Friend" section. Alison Kelly of Project Runway fame is in Rebecca's friend section and is another example of someone using MySpace to network and promote herself.

Yes, MySpace has a bad image of kids trying to be ultrahip, but when used maturely :wink:, MySpace is a wonderful networking tool--even for fashion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->