1970s-1980s Zandra Rhodes

Zandra was contemporaneous with the other famous ' flower power ' designer -
Thea Porter . :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Zandra MAY be dated now , but she has opened a fashion museum , south of the river , in London , after a great deal of difficulty . :rolleyes:

She certainly needs credit and applause for this feat in these difficult times . :heart:

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Mar 28th, 2004 - 12:10 pm

Zandra MAY be dated now , but she has opened a fashion museum , south of the river , in London , after a great deal of difficulty . :rolleyes:

She certainly needs credit and applause for this feat in these difficult times . :heart:

ooh goody...another stop on my fashion expedition to london... :flower:

Originally posted by Acid+Jan 3rd, 2004 - 7:19 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jan 3rd, 2004 - 7:19 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spacemiu@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 2:54 am
I ahve always lvoed zandra, btu she is nto punk,s he played with punk but she is not punk.

Actually johnny Rotten and Vivienne have always hated her, in Johny's book he talks about how he hated her beging called punk.
hardcore sexpistols fan ehre
spacemiu.......please :rolleyes: check your spellings before you post
this is getting a little rediculous now [/b][/quote]
OMG I can't believe someone actually said that, finally!

I've always wanted to but I didn't want to sound like an ***hole.

I am totally a grammar nazi.

ifiwereamodiwouldtotallycorrecteveryone'sgrammaticalerrors

Originally posted by brian+Mar 28th, 2004 - 2:00 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brian @ Mar 28th, 2004 - 2:00 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 7:19 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Spacemiu
@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 2:54 am
I ahve always lvoed zandra, btu she is nto punk,s he played with punk but she is not punk.

Actually johnny Rotten and Vivienne  have always hated her, in Johny's book he talks about how he hated her beging called punk.
hardcore  sexpistols fan ehre

this is getting a little rediculous now

ifiwereamodiwouldtotallycorrecteveryone'sgrammaticalerrors [/b][/quote]
Doesn't a young person always have a particular quirk or eccentricity that is deliberately adopted to mark himself or herself off from the rest ? :wink:

It really MUST take some effort to transpose letters like this , UNLESS there is a special secret computer programme to do this !!!

Give Spacemiu 5 or 6 years , and he'll be as pedantic as you wish and the idiosyncratic spelling will have disappeared !!! B)

Originally posted by kit+Mar 29th, 2004 - 10:27 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kit @ Mar 29th, 2004 - 10:27 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by brian@Mar 28th, 2004 - 2:00 pm
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 7:19 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Spacemiu
@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 2:54 am

Actually johnny Rotten and Vivienne  have always hated her, in Johny's book he talks about how he hated her beging called punk.
hardcore  sexpistols fan ehre

this is getting a little rediculous now

ifiwereamodiwouldtotallycorrecteveryone'sgrammaticalerrors
Doesn't a young person always have a particular quirk or eccentricity that is deliberately adopted to mark himself or herself off from the rest ? :wink:

It really MUST take some effort to transpose letters like this , UNLESS there is a special secret computer programme to do this !!!

Give Spacemiu 5 or 6 years , and he'll be as pedantic as you wish and the idiosyncratic spelling will have disappeared !!! B)

KIT :innocent: [/b][/quote]
kit- i know we're totally going off topic, but i used to use draw a rainbow with coloured pencil at the top of all of my social studies assignments... :lol: ...my teacher thought it was so funny that he started drawing things next to my grade as if to reply...we never spoke about it...

you just brought that memory back...yes, young people definitely do quirky things... :rolleyes:
and look at me now?!... :lol:

The things I've seen !!!

I'll write a book , someday !!!

KIT

Originally posted by kit@Mar 29th, 2004 - 2:18 pm
The things I've seen !!!

I'll write a book , someday !!!

KIT
i can imagine...both my parents are teachers too!!...i used to help my mom grade papers... :wink:

edit-well, they were..they're semi-retired now...

Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 28th, 2004 - 1:41 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 28th, 2004 - 1:41 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-kit@Mar 28th, 2004 - 12:10 pm

ooh goody...another stop on my fashion expedition to london... :flower: [/b][/quote]
Incidentally , Zandra asked a huge number of designers to donate their favourite dress , and if my memory serves me right , a certain TF was one of the few to refuse her . :angry:

My friend is following her around as she works for his work experience (lucky devil). :( :smile:lol:smile:

Zandra was being 'interviewed' on trigger happy tv back in 2001.

Originally posted by brian@Mar 28th, 2004 - 12:00 pm

you would of just like Acid :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just found out that Zandra Rhodes has been doing costuming for the opera for several seasons now... so I thought it would be fun to revive this overall thread about her work. Here is the link to her website: http://www.zandrarhodes.com and recent news at http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/6320.html.

And some 1970s pieces that I discovered:

ballyhoovintage.com . swankvintage.com . clothesagency.com

Hum ... I dont think Zandra as punk designer ... opposite Westwood .. she softened the hardcore punk image and kinda de-punkified it all .. twas the aesthetic .. thats what her collections responded to imho ..

rom the late 1960s Rhodes made screen printed felt coats with immense flared and circular panels. This coat combines 'Knitted Circle' fabric used for the yoke with a pattern called 'Diamonds and Roses' for the skirt. It was part of the costume of actress Irene Worth in the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of the play Tiny Alice staged at the Aldwych Theatre, London, in 1970.

vam.ac.uk

Printed chiffon kaftan with hood

In 1969, Rhodes created a set of textiles whose motifs were taken from knitting and embroidery stitches, called 'Knitted Circle'. She then learnt how to cut patterns in order to produce her own clothes. She based the shape of the clothes on the textile print:
'So my first ever collection was born. It mainly featured the 'Knitted Circle' print. I had designed in a circle, now I cut in circles and at last the creative circle was complete. I made swirling, dramatic shapes with no concessions to the saleable, the acceptable or the ordinary. The true Rhodes style came into being.'

vam.ac.uk

they are beautiful!^
I think zandra rhodes is definitely getting a new surge of popularity. I was watching sex and the city last night and noticed carrie had a zandra rhodes dress.

Evening dress by Zandra Rhodes, 1979. Donated by Zandra Rhodes, 1981.

67d75v8.jpg

virtualmuseum.info

I recently saw a picture of a dress she did in one of those "Whos Who of Fashion Design" books at the local Borders: basic pattern w/ tacky colors & safety-pins, and costume-ish make-up on the models, which immediately brought to mind Heatherette..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->