A Materialistic Society?

shoexgal

Reaction score
I keep shopping to fill this void in me. Just bought a Balenciaga in Red. Don't know why. I know as soon as I stop obsessing over something I'm going to wanna buy something else. I was sitting in lecture tonight and my poli sci teacher was just talking and he said something that he took from Alexis De Tocqueville's Democracy in America. he said that he wanted to end the class with this book because he felt it was very relevent to society today. He said The text can teach us something profound about what is taking place right now. We are told to be part of a trash culture. We are always trapped withing this identity crisis. We are manipulated by sensationalistic media. The constant identity crisis can only be soothed by more and more consumption of useless goods. Our luxuries and goods are only succeeding in bringing us farther and farther apart from each other because we can only see ourselves as individuals. Instead of bringing each other together, we are driving each other away.

Rousseau says We are living in a time where we buy things to impress others and are always in competition with one another. A person who buys a nice car or expensive clothes is a slave to the gaze of the other. They are not trying to satisfy thyself but succombing to the critizisms of society and its demands.

What do you all think about this? Are we living in a materialistic society that fashion contributes to?

oops accidentely put this in the wrong place..can someone please move it?

moved shoexgal, very interesting topic indeed
:flower:

Hey brian can you please put this in shop til you drop? I think more people would comment there. Thanks!

It's human nature to want to appear better than others and obtain the attention of others. Survival of the fittest, attracting a mate...it's all very basic. I think sometimes people put too much concern on issues like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoexgal, I don't know how much of Tocqueville you've read, but the esteemed philosopher has commented on the state of "classlessness" in America -- He hypothesizes that in a democratic society such as we have, we're constantly searching for an identity... I think that consumption of material goods is by far the easiest route to identity.

Other routes to identity: an ivy league diploma to prove that you are part of the intelligensia; a red sports car as evidence of your "fast" personality, to borrow that archiac adjective; a Hermes Birkin to indicate that you live on the Upper East Side; etc. etc.

shoexgal said:
Hey brian can you please put this in shop til you drop? I think more people would comment there. Thanks!

shoexgal i think d&c is the right place for this discussion.. its been designer's items that you mentioned getting and the very interesting text quoted in your intro seems more targeted to profile/lux 'consuming' , not in shopping in general :wink:

We are told to be part of a trash culture. We are always trapped withing this identity crisis. We are manipulated by sensationalistic media. The constant identity crisis can only be soothed by more and more consumption of useless goods.

i so agree on this.. we are consuming the most useless things just because we are told to.. advertising, star system, consumerism.. social imitation, debts.. almost inescapable 'values' of our good old capitalistic society right?

interesting posts so far :smile:..ok sounds good if that would be more appropriate to keep it here by all means as long as its being discussed...

Lena I so agree with what you are talking about..yes our celebrity crazed, consumeristic ways are spinnng us into a void that can never fill

Madame_X said:
Shoexgal, I don't know how much of Tocqueville you've read, but the esteemed philosopher has commented on the state of "classlessness" in America -- He hypothesizes that in a democratic society such as we have, we're constantly searching for an identity... I think that consumption of material goods is by far the easiest route to identity.

Other routes to identity: an ivy league diploma to prove that you are part of the intelligensia; a red sports car as evidence of your "fast" personality, to borrow that archiac adjective; a Hermes Birkin to indicate that you live on the Upper East Side; etc. etc.

I can identify with this, and yes I agree with you on that point.

Although I don't do this consciously, when I think about it, it seems definately true.

The text can teach us something profound about what is taking place right now. We are told to be part of a trash culture. We are always trapped withing this identity crisis. We are manipulated by sensationalistic media. The constant identity crisis can only be soothed by more and more consumption of useless goods. Our luxuries and goods are only succeeding in bringing us farther and farther apart from each other because we can only see ourselves as individuals. Instead of bringing each other together, we are driving each other away.

Rousseau says We are living in a time where we buy things to impress others and are always in competition with one another. A person who buys a nice car or expensive clothes is a slave to the gaze of the other. They are not trying to satisfy thyself but succombing to the critizisms of society and its demands.

This is truthful. I hope this itself sheds light on your problem.:flower:

This also is very truthful.

I myself had your problem a few years ago. I always had to buy clothes, clothes, clothes... but I was never satisfied. However, I got over it by realizing finally that it will NEVER satisfy me. Also interests in poetry, literature and philosophy made me take my mind off this obsession.:wink:

identity should be something more than a label on a bag/blouse/perfume etc.. its been called conspicious (sp?) consumption.. eg. climbing the 'social' ladder

strange thing is that people are so ready to slave in order to aquire a plasic identity ..so many girls saving/in debt in order to get the 'it' item which (they believe) will improve their social 'image' or make them acceptable in a circle they really dont belong in

regardless how well i understand the motives for exessive consumption, the victimization of the consumer and the social 'preassure'/monitoring we are all exposed to, it does makes me sad to see people live-to-consume

Lena said:
strange thing is that people are so ready to slave in order to aquire a plasic identity ..so many girls saving/in debt in order to get the 'it' item which (they believe) will improve their social 'image' or make them acceptable in a circle they really dont belong in

regardless how well i understand the motives for exessive consumption, the victimization of the consumer and the social 'preassure'/monitoring we are all exposed to, it does makes me sad to see people live-to-consume

Exactly. My older sister is actually like this and it makes me very sad.

Lena said:
identity should be something more than a label on a bag/blouse/perfume etc.. its been called conspicious (sp?) consumption.. eg. climbing the 'social' ladder

I agree 100 %, but I also think it's really hard to resist the pressure... Unless you make your own clothes and accessories (you might, but not most people) you have to make choices about labels and styles...

"Aspirational" dressing is what most people do, in a way, isn't it? You dress how you'd like other people to perceive you, consciously or not. It can be Juicy Cotoure sweats, a Louis Vuitton bag or a Yohji shroud.

I think it's a bit funny that conspicuos consumerism is practically always associated with flashy labels... I mean, you can be a conspicuos consumer buying "serious" labels as well...

yes of course tott, one needs to make choices (even me) but i dont rely my identity on a label stuck on a product i bought (or i wish to buy)
e.g.i'll be the same ME with or without a Dries Van Noten dress.

the want to consume and posses is very human and very natural, it's a survival urge. it's sad but true. This dose not mean that we have to succum to these feelings. It's important to be able to get happiness from yourself and the things and people around you.

As brian said, the truth is hard. We live in a materialistic world, it's undeniable. Most of us (of course not all) want stuff. We want success, we want money, we want to look good, we want, want, want. It's not odd, I see it as something very natural and not necasarily a bad thing. Of course things can go crazy, but the little materialistic 'me' that lives in everyone is welcome to show it's face once in a while I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->