• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Alexander McQueen F/W 13.14 : Edie Campbell by David Sims

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Mc_Queen_lg.jpg

harpersbazaar.co.uk

Edie Campbell has been unveiled as the new face of Alexander McQueen, starring in a stunning autumn/winter 13 campaign shot by David Sims

The news tops off a stellar year for the British model, represented by Viva London, who is also the current face of Marc Jacobs, Lanvin and Jil Sander. Talking exclusively to Harper’s Bazaar, Edie revealed the personal significance of landing an Alexander McQueen campaign: "There’s a particularly emotional element to it. You can become very attached to McQueen as a brand because of what happened with Lee McQueen’s life, and his legacy, and him being British, and him being something of an outsider…"

Having walked in the autumn/winter 13 McQueen show in Paris back in March, Campbell was already familiar with Sarah Burton’s incredible ecclesiastical collection, which referenced nuns, popes, angels and the Virgin Queen herself: "They’re not clothes in the way most people would think of clothes, they’re very much crafted objects."

"I have to admit they’re not hugely comfortable to wear! With layers of corsets and undergarments and waist-cinchers and hip implants, it’s not like whacking on a shirt – you very much have to be dressed in it by somebody who knows how all the layers fit together. There’s a complexity to Sarah’s pieces – in the way they were conceived, and also in the ultrafine craftsmanship – it’s mindblowing."

And what of those astonishing pearl-gilded frames?

"They’re about as far removed from normal headwear that you can get! You feel not human walking around in it – you are very far removed from how you might normally behave and feel and move through a space because they’re so fantastical and surreal. You’re a bit of a freak really!"

"But I don’t think it’s at all about the idea of caging or entrapment – it’s much more to do with glorifying and bejeweling somebody. There’s nothing misogynistic about it. It’s the highest form of pageantry – they’re practically works of art."

And that’s something which Campbell certainly knows all about. As if her rising star in the fashion world wasn’t enough, earlier this month Edie proved she has brains as well as beauty by gaining a first in her History of Art degree from The Courtauld Institute of Art, which forms part of the University if London. But she admits: "I was very surprised – I wasn’t expecting a first at all, not in the slightest. I’d given up hope of getting it and hadn’t planned anything to celebrate, so I ended up going for a lovely dinner with my granny!"

See the full autumn/winter 13 campaign at alexandermcqueen.com

Eddie and David Sims are the perfect combo! She looks so good and beautiful trough his lens!
STELLAR campaign, it's hauntingly beautiful!

It's unfair.So many talented models can't get a major job like this but Edie got 3 or 4?whatever,I'm not sure.Is she good enough or has something unique?

This girl is everywhere!

The preview is great but too small. I like the movement of the fur and the light on her face, very haunting

Very striking image. Given the collection, you'd think black and white wouldn't do it justice, but this is surprisingly great.

You can barely see the model's face here so it's hard to tell whether Edie looks good or not, but either way, how did she manage to snag four such major campaigns?

The whole look in the image is simply exquisite, though I wish it was in color.

Freak of the Middle Ages, good result!

Thank you Mat Cyruss! The face expression and the light are exact how i imaged. Now the collection looks better than a few months ago.

I did roll my eyes when I read the thread title, but the campaign came out great. In most of the shots you can't really tell it's her.

do not get the hype with her. and this is nothing special

In most of the shots you can't really tell it's her.

She's that chameleon-like. She looks like a different girl in all of her campaigns this season, and all of them fit each brand; this is another hit for the list. All images are really captivating.

She's that chameleon-like. She looks like a different girl in all of her campaigns this season, and all of them fit each brand; this is another hit for the list. All images are really captivating.

Not what I meant. I was alluding to the fact that in most shots her face is obscured by a mask. Thankfully. Edie has the expressive range of a Ritalin patient.

^ :lol: :lol:

It's true, but the campaign itself looks quite good to me.

:shock: Edie is on a fu..... roll! not really into this.

Well, with a collection as idiotic as this one was, it's not surprising that the campaign is duller than I can even comprehend.

Also....reading Edie's description of the clothes and how restrictive and how uncomfortable they are is really bothersome. I have no taste for what Sarah Burton does for the house, and this confirms it. It's like she's torturing the wearer with no other reason than to decorate. When McQueen tortured the wearer it was because it meant something - a comment on the past, the present the future, social injustices and terrifying realities, etc. etc. He was a real thinker. Burton continues to show that she has no natural inclination for anything other than the sickeningly saccharine - what with honey last season and now whipped cream this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->