art & fashion design ... how, when and where do they meet?...

That mention of Elsa Schiaparelli is irrelevent,IMO. I adore her impression she left on fashion but for one,you have to remember in her hey-day,fashion was still quite exclusive compared with today's fashion and WAS NOT driven by commerce.

I agree with Bella Freud's comments. I mean,if you're making art in fashion then where does that leave fashion as medium? It's hypocritical to call something of a different medium something else just to justify a set of different ideals and ideas. And I'm going to say one last thing about this and that will be all.....there is a tremendous difference between selling something and having to ride the waves of commerce and the market on a seasonal basis. I'm not saying there aren't threads the bind the art world with fashion.....as some mentioned,the visual aspects correlate,the actual design process can be interpreted as applied art but when these works start getting broken away and worn,there is no more argument.

jefei said:
What is art?

it depends.... there aren't any definition...

I believe art is the tangible manifestation and expression of human spirit and soul no matter how brief, raw or refined.:o

There are two working definitions of art.

In the more traditionalist sense it is about an object of beauty, extreme skill and craft, it is time consuming, and it speaks of the human experience. Mostly everything up until post-impressionism can be defined in this way.

In 1917 Marcel Duchamp introduced the idea that Art can be had simply through conversation between a piece and the viewer about, either directly or indirectly, life in some form or another. He suggested that mere ideas about life, thoughts, coincidences, inciteful observations, etc, they can constitute what we call Art. He also suggested the idea that Art is defined by credited experets in our culture and that is simply how art becomes Art. His ready made urinal only became art when the organizers (not Duchamp) of the infamous Armory show allowed it to be in the group show.

These are the general views held by the Art world proper in museums, academia, collectors, etc.

Now can fashion fit into either of the two perspectives? Sure. Can it exist completely in either of the two perspectives? No.

I would say Art can exist in fashion oppossed to fashion existing within Art.

Mutterlein said:

exactly..

btw i'm with Duchamp's definition on 'what is art'..

Mutterlein said:

Then I would consider Hussein Chalayan's living and breathing garments woven with nitinol memory wire, or perhaps some of the pieces rendered in acrylic over the decades of 80's, 90's and beyond...

Hussein's white acrylic airplane piece and Jean Paul Gaultier's mortorcycle bustier come instantly to mind as concrete creations within a single show, maybe it's a piece that can become art rather than classifying the entire show, or a piece that galvanizes the overall show as artistic in nature...

In the world of fashion art is an element rather than a purified form, commerce is an element as well; while some artists are true in the sense while operating as wardrobe creators some of the time...

I'd say this, it's not possible to quantify the industry as a whole with over 4,000 exhibitors showing in Bryant Park in such a small window of opportunity, it's such a case by case basis that could change with every season or maybe during a period in a fashion persons life, maybe it was the autumn of 88 where a single person was a true artist, then everything since was for the sake and balance of elements of both art and commerce within their careers...

I do hope the statement was somewhat straight-forward, in short each person and moment could potentialy be different rather than a broad generalization on the matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is the one place in digital where I can truly allow my inner fashion nerd to shine very bright anytime of the day or evening... It's fun to be here for this winter!

Scott said:
...as some mentioned,the visual aspects correlate,the actual design process can be interpreted as applied art but when these works start getting broken away and worn,there is no more argument.

Interesting ...Id see a literally impossible to wear piece of clothing as art:flower:

ultramarine said:
Interesting ...Id see a literally impossible to wear piece of clothing as art:flower:

To contribute to both this quote and the quote it originated from, define worn...? On runway or off runway exclusively, or the ability to put it on the human form...?

_39318082_tech_cloths2_300.jpg
airplanedress.jpg

The Hussein Chalayn airplane dress can be put on human form, but you couldn't sit down to the best of my knowledge, the season is undetermined if anyone can contribute...

Perhaps with a change of clothes or 2 one could host a gallery party as an opening outfit, reserved for the eccentric in character...

Sigh... Visions of Parker Posey in Party Girl, ala roaring 20's...

Since I'm not much of a fan of my windowshopper status I'd love to contribute this on the way to being a scenester as a highlight, I'd say this is something that blurs the line between wearability and art piece...

chalayan.jpg

Kinship Journeys
Hösten/vintern: 2003-04
© Hussein Chalayan

Stylist: Jane How
Foto: Chris Moore
Make up: Pat McGrath
Hår: Eugene Soulieman

Would needing to be anchored by weights classify as wearable, or is flying models in style nowadays...!!!LOL!!!

Omahyra Mota just flew by my window, she's participating in my gallery show and she's picking me up for coffee's pre-show...!!!LOL!!!

I'd consider what I hold to be the biggest moment in fashion history for the past decade to be on the clothing side of the art & fashion debate here at The Spot...

It's the nitinol memory wire pieces by Hussein Chalayan...
hc_02.jpg

From the September IMG shows of 2006...

I'll need to become clearer on rules through the re-read, though what about a dress that rendered the wearer nude as an absolute?

Though I may not be able to post a photo, what about garments that were virtually invisible and meant to protect the wearer from elements with cellular mesh?

Art or Fashion, yes it could be worn in theory or the home, however not on the street or in public in the most european of locales aside from nude beaches or private property...

Now the line is blurring, it's something to consider...!

Who needs fashion or art school, we have The Spot!

It's an early morning in the studio, the yoga mat is rolled up and vitamins popped, I'm listening to a bit of Method Man even though I'm an electronica guy and not a rap or hip hop fan unless I'm dating lady friends, though this morning I'm ready to blow up The Spot with fashion after waking before 4 A.M. to start the day and then it's off to bed at 8 P.M....yeah, I'm the wild one...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meineri
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->