Asian Hair Coloring/ Dyeing

Aziandoll

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was going to post on a hair color thread, but it was closed. Anyhow, I recently dyed my hair "Sapphire Black" as it says on the Clairol Herbal Essences hair color box. It's a very pretty color, it kind of has some silver/ blue undertones.

I did this after 5 years of highlighting, my hair with blonde streaks, and then changing it to red streaks... what major upkeep it was! What looked really bad were the dark roots.

Anyhow, does anyone on here who dyed their hair black... have any good cosmetic color ideas? I went from using a lot of browns before.. and now... it doesn't look right. I have yellow undertones, and am medium skinned. Thanks!

I'm half asian so I've always had dark dark brown hair (to me it's brown, lots of people think it's black anyways tho) and I generally wear shades of pink, purple, and after a trip to the MAC store, might experiment with greens. I've dyed my hair jet black before and use the same shades as well. Do you have brown eyes? Usually with brown eyes, you can pretty much wear any color. I rarely wear brown eye shadows, unless it goes with what I'm wearing...in that case, usually the brown is more of a bronze which gives it a bit more "edge" if that makes any sense. As far as lip shades, usually a soft pink or low key red. Black hair + deep red lipstick looks pretty cool, but I think it takes a certain look to pull it off.

i'm mostly Asian (Indian)
MAC NC45/Cover FX I40 - which is basically caramel coloured...
and i look like i'm more yellow toned (but i'm actually olive undertone).

i do not suit red/yellow/warm toned haircolour at all
and i always go with a plum-black haircolour.

as a result, i stay away from warm-toned makeup...
ie. no gold/yellow/red-tone makeup.

i have dark brown eyes, and wear:
- lavender eyeshadow/eye crayon (Lise Watier and others)
- liquid liner in black (L'oreal Lineur Intense)
- black mascara (Cover Girl Super Thick Lash)
- cool berry/plum/grape lipstick (eg: Prestige Berry/Burt's Bees Eggplant/Cover Girl Grape Soda smoothliner)
- a mocha (cool plum-brown hue) lipliner (Prestige or Revlon)
- Revlon mocha cream blush .... barely barely applied OR Maybelline wine mousse blush.

If you can get away with it, then a blue-based red lipstick may work as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all very helpful, thank you! Actually, I am wearing dark blue contacts right now. I have been wearing pink or red lipstick lately, and my friends say I look like Snow White. I would go with clear contacts, but I can't get any until May. I have Dark Blue and Charcoal grey contacts. The eye shadow I wore today was grey. I also wore pink blush and pink lipstick. It looked very simple and clean.

It's funny, I have every color in the rainbow in my makeup case, but I couldn't figure out which looked best. I think it might have been because I changed my hair color frequently, going from Blonde Highlights to Red, and it just mixed up my makeup coloring as well!

I had to dye it all black, when I saw myself in the mirror, and I had:
Red and blonde highlighted hair grown out with 2 inches of dark brown roots, light pink lipstick, blue contacts, and grey eyeshadow. I looked horrible, like the rainbow blew up in my face. So, the black hair does help alot. At least now, I can stay within one makeup color scheme.

Haha or you could be like ME
a4b59c34.jpg

Haha. I know, it's not for everyone, but I think most asians are too timid with their look.
Natural colors like burgandy look really good on most asians. As well as some gold blondes I think. For makeup, greens are amazing, I think.

cardboardboxed -- i looove your look! i've always wanted to dye my hair pink .. you definitely rock it.

Awww thanks.. I've had my hair every color!! I think my fave was green or pink.... both are really good. If you want pink hair I say go for it!

cardboardboxed said:
a4b59c34.jpg

Haha. I know, it's not for everyone, but I think most asians are too timid with their look.
Natural colors like burgandy look really good on most asians. As well as some gold blondes I think. For makeup, greens are amazing, I think.

You look really good with pink hair! Actually, you're all color coordinated! :smile:
I wasn't! I was just all over the place with my hair and makeup.

cardboardboxed said:
a4b59c34.jpg

love your eye makeup!! btw, do you use foundation (if so which?)? your skin looks so radiant and flawless!

alessia77 said:
love your eye makeup!! btw, do you use foundation (if so which?)? your skin looks so radiant and flawless!
Yes, my skin is natually horrible! I have sooo many old acne scars that just. will. not. fade. In this pic I'm using j lynne mineral makeup, with a little liquid over it to smooth it out a bit

Wow cardboardboxed, the pink hair looks really great on you!!! And I love your make-up, especially around the eyes :heart:

I need advice on getting Asian black hair colored auburn or red chestnut color, similar to the models in the Japanese fashion magazines.

I was told by my SIL to pick the reddest haircolor I can find and use that, because with my dark hair it really needs the intensest red dye. It won't come out like the redhead on the box but a nice auburn color.

OK, before I take the plunge this year, if I go with something like Clairol, do I leave it in for the prescribed time, or longer? And does anyone have suggestions and recommendation?

I have done this before... um.. I remember buying a light reddish auburn color and leaving it in for the maximum amount of time. It will lighten it to that color. If you have virgin hair... you might have to redo again a week later to make sure it completely lightens.

If you're not sure... go to a professional hair colorist or have someone help you. I've made the mistake before of dying my hair myself and forgetting a few spots. Good luck!

I'll keep that in mind. No problems with dying hair myself, I've done quite a number over the years (mainly safe brunette colors) just never with red! I've streaked my hair to the point of red but there's just too much brass in it. I'll remember to cover every strand. I never knew about having to possibly repeat the coloring but that makes sense. Thanks!

cardboardboxed,love your haircolor.... very very nice and edgy.... :heart: i love flashy colors like that..

omg i totaly:heart: your pink hair...i tried getting hot pink highlights it backfired badly they turned orange...lol and then got it done again and then had like everyshade of colour in my hair....i think im just gonna go with black...but um like does neone have ne suggestions is it possible to go so black that it looks blue??

shade said:
i think im just gonna go with black...but um like does neone have ne suggestions is it possible to go so black that it looks blue??

I've used haircolor that says blue black on the box... I can't remember the brand, it might have been Clairol or l'Oreal... it was so black, it looked very jet blue black in the sunlight. I did this once and my hair looked as black as a raven's. Got lots of attention with that color!

L'Oreal Feria for Men had an asian male model on the box, intensely black, almost blue. I just can't remember brands but the boxes say right out it is blue black or jet black cool (as opposed to warm).

Garnier has a blue black permanent too.

cardboardboxed said:
a4b59c34.jpg

Your skin is gorgeous. What shade of the J Lynne foundation do you use if you don't mind me asking? I have the same skin tone and the website has a million different shades n it's confusing me. Also, do you use just the foundation or do you use anything else? :flower:

1/2 Japanese here. I've had my hair dyed a million times in my HS days:
Jet black
Deep purple (my fav)
Fire engine red
Blue
A terrible greenish colour when the blue faded
Orange

Then I grew up and got:
Natural colour (dark brown w/mohogany tones) with red highlights. It was lovely!
Deep mohogany
Dark, chocolate brown (right now.)

I dunno what I'm going to do next! My boyfriend's dad is a stylist, so I'm psyched to get something new done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meineri
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->