Baby Phat...Talley Tells All...

alt?

come on andre is one of the most influential vogue editors/writers and if you dont think he has anna's ear youre crazy. the cover choice is made by committee with anna's voice being the final yea or nay.
anyway the celeb - as -cover -subject & -main -story thing is a decision that descends from SI & the publisher down to anna and its up to anna & her editors to choose who to profile & shoot. if you think ALT is out of that loop youre wrong.

Oh yes, I'm quite aware that he is one of the most well known editors in the industy and is Anna's right hand man, but he isn't the final word on who goes on the cover.

wow I remember during fashion week fall 06 it was the Vera Wang show he just waltzed right in now one asked him nothing the gu guard the door just nodded at him. And for the Tracy Reese show I was there It wasn't hectic at all yes there were alot of celebrites there but he was sitted fine in the front row and the person who came with him (it was so old lady, not anna though). and the thing that got me was during the show he continued to have his sunglasses on, but anyway he is still fabulous. I agree that wasn't the first time the baby phat sercuity refused editors at the show. Fashion nowadays is becoming very celebrity infatuated. But hey what can you do.

ALT worked his *** off to get where he is now, he's got an amazing eye and knows all the rules of being a proper courtier in his chosen royal court. Of course, we know there will not be a Baby Phat spread in Vogue anytime soon, and all the vultures are circling poor drama-ridden Kimora these days. Security is going to be tight.

Baby Phat is ghetto, and it's fun, and the show has more to do with the hip-hop world than it does the high-fashion world. Both of them feed off each other in mutual envy and desire: high-fashion is cool, polite, bloodless and thoroughly-in-control; whereas hip-hop is passionate, rude, and often reckless. What's not to love?

All that said, I've worked event security, not in the fashion world, but in the popular music world. This seems to me like the case of the royal & hardworking (Mr.Talley) having to deal with the low-born and uncouth (Baby Phat security). Seems the security guard, in a moment of pique, decided to exercise the meager amount of power given to him.

I've watched this happen many a time at the club where I worked: "oh, you think you're somebody, guess what, not in my world". If I were ALT, I'd have pitched a fit, too. However, security for the hip-hop royal court is not going to recognize the highborn of the fashion world. Security for the hip-hop court is tight and fierce, as well it should be. And ALT should be aware of this, too.:heart::flower:

EDIT: Oh, I see this is old news. Go figure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinuviel said:
I don't get what's so great about Baby Phat clothes anyway. Too trashy. I'll bet Paris Hilton is a big fan.

She actually owns some of their "fashion".I've seen a few pics with her rocking some BP.Jewelry,flip flops, and a few skirts with the little kitty logo.:lol:
Baby Phat is ghetto

Not being rude, but so many people love to throw in the word ghetto describing BP and are so ignorant they take it out of context as being "Urban" or other nonsense, Not knowing the real meaning behind it.What's the real definition of Ghetto?
  1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
  2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
  3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto: “trapped in ethnic or pink-collar managerial job ghettoes” (Diane Weathers).
Baby phat fits that tag? I'm no fan of it either. But I wouldn't dare use Ghetto to describe any kind of clothing brand or label. It's just disrespectful IMHO, there are people starving and homeless all over in the real "GHETTO".

Ghetto Jamaican Slums

slum.jpg

holidayreports.de

lady grey said:
I have been witness to ALT's royalty routine and his indignation if not treated as such so I agree that's what we're reading- a huge bitchy hissyfit from ALT over not being recognized by kimora's goons. But the baby phat show IS known for some of the most intimidating & heavy-handed security.
I think we all know that zac posen is a designer & kimora is not but actually ALT is so in love with zac he should try to check his endless ***-kissing and try to maintain a sliver of critical distance- since he IS a journalist & proclaims himself a working professional.
and besides kimora, face it EVERY NY designer fawns over celebrities & puts them front row & tries hardest to get them to come- so while Usher may be among thye most egotistical of all, its not like kimora is the only show with celebrity courtesies- EVERY show has celebs that are seated & later bragged about. so ALT is really objecting to his specific treatment at kimora, at other shows He's the 1 kissing celebrity ***, hes as fawning and obsequious an ***-kisser to celebs and designers as they come- as long as that person is on his 'good' list. [meaning kisses ALT's *** back, like posen.] so mucy for objective journalism

That's what seems to be his job these days, really- he is 'editor at large' over at Vouge, and has nothing else to do but complain about not getting into high profile shows. :innocent:

Well I think he does have a right to complain. I think editors and writers should be considered more important than Usher and his goons...
My belief is that celebrities come and go. Writers, editors and so on often stay in their positions for a while(espcially if it is a sweet job at Vogue) and probably don't forget a snub.
Pick what's important people!

BOTH Andre and Kimora are stuck irretrievably far up their own ***es :rolleyes:

Sun_Goddess said:
Baby phat fits that tag? I'm no fan of it either. But I wouldn't dare use Ghetto to describe any kind of clothing brand or label. It's just disrespectful IMHO, there are people starving and homeless all over in the real "GHETTO".

Oh, come on! While I completely agree that America's most impoverished are no match for many other countries impoverished, the term 'ghetto' when used in America isn't even used in that context. Its used to describe a certain subculture...or I suppose, the uncultured.

Having resided in San Francisco's Tenderloin, been an esteemed guest in LA's Compton, lived in Manhattan's Lower East Side when it was still the "Lower East Side", and grown up in a sh*tty town that got washed away by floods in 1889, 1939, and 1977, I know what a ghetto is. I currently live two blocks from West Oakland, which, for the most part, does not compare to a Jamaican shantytown: you best have a 'tude when passing thru. I know I do.

That said, Baby Phat is ghetto. It's on my corner every night: it's a paste-bling grill sold to brighten the fake smile of an empty dream, as is most, if not all, "fashion". Baby Phat is at my local Marshall's right now, along with the marked-down, discontinued Sean Comb's women's line: If I look the part of what I see on TV, maybe I'll fit in.

Thank you again for reminding me that poverty exists outside the Fashion board, specifically the gossip part of the fashion board. Meanwhile, I've still got rent to pay for June. Time to pawn my knock-off handbags!:flower::heart:

Cheers!

Fabulyss said:
Oh, come on! While I completely agree that America's most impoverished are no match for many other countries impoverished, the term 'ghetto' when used in America isn't even used in that context. Its used to describe a certain subculture...or I suppose, the uncultured.

Honestly. That poster is a political correctness wh*re. I think political correctness is horrific especially if nothing harmful is meant by a breach of the 'rules'. The term ghetto is now slang and as such has meanings beyond its original purpose but still linked to its original purpose. That is the way language moves.

Oh and whoever makes the decisions about who goes on the cover, whether it is Andre or Anna, should be fired. American Vogue is THE worst of all the Vogues and someone at HQ should be embarrassed.

SiennaInLondon said:
Oh and whoever makes the decisions about who goes on the cover, whether it is Andre or Anna, should be fired. American Vogue is THE worst of all the Vogues and someone at HQ should be embarrassed.

agreed!

esiders said:
who cares that he wasn't recognized at "low class" Baby Phat...its not like he was going to do a feature on Baby Phat for Vogue!! :innocent:

I co-sign with you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->