Bags made by makeup companies (like Estee Lauder)

Yasmin

Reaction score
I have about 30 of these things, from all sorts of high qualitiy makeup companies, mostly Estee Lauder.

Some of them are clearly meant to be makeup bags, but other ones look like handbags and totes. Most of them are canvas but some of them are suede, etc.

I also have a "Holt Renfrew" and "La Vie en Rose "black canvas tote. They're not makeup brands but they also make me feel a bit iffy about using them (especially since the last one has La Vie en Rose in big pink letters on it)

These are all given as gifts with purchases.

What do you think? Can you wear these as bags?
Right now I use them to store makeup and other things at home.

I got a freebie yellow and white horizontal stripe plastic mini zipped tote from Clarins this year, didn't like it and I gave it to my niece, who used it on the beach to stick her cell phone in to stop it getting wet/sandy. :D

I take it from the lack of much response on this, that in general people don't use these bags as handbags? I could see how they might look cheap since well in one way they don't cost anything to get and the other way, they are usually made of person-made fibres and even sometimes fake leather (Fake brown and purple croc clutch this season by Estee Lauder for one)

The TOTES in particular are implausible as makeup bags though, it really seems like they are designed for you to carry other stuff in....

Not that I don't have enough makeup at home to fill up several totes! But just where am I going with that much makeup with me? I am not a clown or p*rn star and I am not so indecisive that I need to bring 30 lipsticks and 50 eyeshadows around with me "just in case" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the GWP bags as like a gym bag if it's large enough... and I use the makeup bags

I've seen women on the subway use them to carry their lunch... or just as an extra tote that they fold up and put in their daytime bag just in case they have to carry stuff around.

For that, they are useful.

Luna said:
I use the GWP bags as like a gym bag if it's large enough... and I use the makeup bags

I've seen women on the subway use them to carry their lunch... or just as an extra tote that they fold up and put in their daytime bag just in case they have to carry stuff around.

For that, they are useful.

that's a pretty good idea - i have a bunch of freebies sitting in the bottom drawer in my bathroom and wondering if it's too cheesy to donate it to Goodwill..

:lol:.. thanks for making me not feel bad for using (?abusing?) Goodwill..

Where I live, Goodwill is picky! They have a long list of things they won't accept.

As for GWP bags, I've never received one I liked enough to use as a purse or general tote bag. I use them for storage, just as I do with bags I get from conferences. I don't like to carry advertising, but if it's a sturdy bag, I put something in it. I also have quite a large supply of those black Sephora drawstring bags - the felt/fabric bags they used to use are good for storing silver; the rubbery ones are good for packing shampoo etc. for travel, and I don't mind tossing them out if there's a leak.

I have never gotten one I'd actually carry, but if you like one of them well enough, why not? Here's an idea for you ... I have used them as Easter baskets before. And one of the recipients was thrilled with the bag :P

A few years ago Estee Lauder gave a Gucci lookalike bamboo tote when you purchase EL stuff at RM350 or more. SK 2 did the same too. They copied Chanel ligne cambon bag for the Purchase with Purchase giveaway :wink:

I have stopped taking the bags because they are just clutter and I have a lifetime supply.

Old ladies and young girls sometimes like them.:D

With my current supply, I keep the larger totes in the trunk of my car in case I need to shlep something unexpectedly. I also might carry ooky stuff in it -- like if I have a Glad container of fruit and yogurt that is bound to leak. I live in LA so it's really only from my car to work or gym for something like this -- I don't think I would carry it where someone might assume it was my bag.:woot: :ninja:

The makeup cases I have tossed in where I keep my travel stuff -- you can never have enough of that kind of stuff and I generally will keep them stocked with stuff in smaller plastic bags -- i.e. soaps, q-tips, toothbrush//paste etc. -- I can just toss everything in when I am packing -- again, when they became ooked from leaks and toothpaste, I have no qualms about tossing.

i'm not really a fan, but the makeup bags are useful.
i have an old lancome one that looks exactly like lv epi leather :lol:

My friend uses a Cacharel Parfums freebie as her everyday handbag. It looks alright, I suppose, apart from the fact that it's kinda falling apart.

Ha, and my other friend's boyfriend gave her Burberry perfume and then was like "I also got this for you!" and gave her the freebie Burberry perfume bag haa. That made me chuckle.

actually, sometimes GWP bags can be really cute. Dior does those clutches which could IMO totally be used as a regular clutch. i haven't seen good ones from Chanel, but Calvini Klein's offering a really cute red tote when you purchase Secret Obsession.

05uo7.jpg

not the best pic from douglas.at, but hey, you get the idea :lol:

i've seen it IRL and it's actually quite cute and roomy enough for everyday.

god i have so many of these..i put my jewelry in the little cosmetic cases...

I have a huge collection too. I do occasionally use them as handbags--especially if I am going somewhere and I think there is a possibility that something could happen to a really good bag and I would be left devastated. I have a cute Prada-esque suede tote with a silky print lining from Victoria's Secret as well as a denim tote with black corset lacing on the front. My most recent tote is a cute linen woven with gold threads and velvet trim that came from Crabtree and Evelyn. I am definitely going to use that.

I love the makeup bags and have several really cute ones from L'Occitane. I use them to carry makeup in my handbags and for travel. In my classic collection, I have a set of small and larger Chanel cases with zippers and a pastel print of camellias. I never tire of receiving them.

^Sorry if that sounds confusing about the Chanel bags. I have had them for a long time and I believe they were gift sets that were simply a purchase. I am not sure if they still do something like that. The larger bag held a Chanel No. 5 eau de toilette and lotion. The smaller was nice because the bag contained an eye pencil, lipstick nail polish and mascara.

Clinique generally do a nice make up bag which is pretty ideal for travel etc, but in terms of day to day I would stay away, mostly due to the quality and the possibility its going to randomly fall apart on you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hhhhg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->