Ballet

^I took ballet from the age of 2-16 with The London Royal Ballet School and I've still turned out 5'6",my sister the same and she's 5'8" so I don't think it does to all. It has given me 'clicky' ankles though :(

It doesn't stunt your growth, believe me. :P

And clicky ankles are a sad but true part of it though. :(

^People hear me walking a mile off :smile: It's a joke that I'd be a rubbish burgler hehe. DId anyone else have to learn all that French for it?

I want to try ballet but I'm almost 18 years old. I might give it a try in college.. At the moment I have to deal w/ senior year of high school and college applications...

I wish my mother had made me take ballet but I know for a fact that I would've quit just like I did w/ piano, taekwondo, and art.. I was a quite rebellious kid when I was younger...

Can anyone recommend me good youtube videos of ballerinas and ballet performances in general? I just want to watch ballet... for now. Who are your favorite ballet dancer? I hope it's not much of a hassle ^^

I want to try ballet but I'm almost 18 years old. I might give it a try in college.. At the moment I have to deal w/ senior year of high school and college applications...

I wish my mother had made me take ballet but I know for a fact that I would've quit just like I did w/ piano, taekwondo, and art.. I was a quite rebellious kid when I was younger...

Can anyone recommend me good youtube videos of ballerinas and ballet performances in general? I just want to watch ballet... for now. Who are your favorite ballet dancer? I hope it's not much of a hassle ^^

I would try New York City Ballet Volume 2. :smile: It's both online and on DVD (just type it into youtube. :P)

Favorite ballerina is definitely my little darling Deanna McBrearty :D. My favorite ballet is probably Giselle or The Nutcracker for Tarantella.

How come I didn't come to this thread sooner? Anyway, I've been dancing for a very long time now. My parents didn't make me do it -- it was my choice, and still my choice, as I'm almost 20 and haven't stopped since. Ballet is a big part of my life, and I can't imagine life without dancing.

I used to do Ballet when I was younger, but stopped at about 11/12. Now, I just love watching DVD's of Ballet performances, I am always mesmerized by the dancers.

Hey guys :smile:
Well when I was younger I did Rythmic gymnatics for 5years.
Some time ago I went to an actual ballet at the opera, and it just made me realize how much I enjoyed doing GRS or would like to do classic dance. But like Tuttyfruit Im 18.
I just saw that my school gave ballet classes and was wondering if it would be hard to start now (well I love working out so I could handle the challenge) and if it would be a "sport" that would actually tire you out, because I love sports that really take your energy but make you feels great afterwards.
(oh and also does it make your muscles bigger? or does it on the contrary make them slimmer?)
(thanks in advance :smile: )

Andrea.RL, I don't do ballet anymore either, but I can say this: NO :D It is never too late to start. There are some professional dancers who started at your age and older.

Regarding you other questions about muscles... I think that it'll "tone" your body - your muscles will be bigger and more defined, but you will carry less fat.

I hope this helps :smile:

yes it does :D thank you!

Oh and so is it a bit physical? I mean are you worn out at the end of the class?
(I think thats my last question ^^ thanks a lot :smile: )

Yes, it's physical. Ballet engages basically every muscle in your body.
I haven't practiced ballet for AGES but you would be worn out at the end of a class, and you'd be more worn out depending on how much effort you put in. I don't know how you will find it because you come from a gymnastics background and might find it easier than I did when I started.
The most important thing: Enjoy it!

I miss doing ballet, I did it a lot til I was about 15 or so - sometimes I think I'll take it up again just for fun but I'm always too lazy to follow up that idea :blush:

tiffany me too! I did it when I was really young, and then stopped when I was around 10. Now that I appreciate the beauty of ballet, I want to dance again!

I used to do ballet, and I did it for a really long time and people always told me I had a talent for it. Suddenly I was sick of it and I quite. I regret it for years and years and I still do. :(

I use to do ballet when I was a kid and I regret it some much now. I can't even watch movies about ballet dancer and ballet performances with out feeling depressed.

I saw some ballet shoes with studs on them online at Bonarag, and I was wondering if that would effect how you dance. :huh: I assume it would.

I studied ballet for 15 years and I still love it.Alas I wasn't in right place to acquire the technique to make it as a professional dancer.I miss it so much still.But it's always one of my loves! I could watch Suzanne Farrell for hours,she is so incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->