Bespoke Footwear / Handmade Shoes

scandababian

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a pair of shoes made for them and were happy with the result (feel free to post a pic if you have one!)

I am very curious about this potentially lost art and would love to hear other's comments about whether they would consider bespoke rather than paying high prices for mass, factory produced designer shoes. If anyone owns any beautiful vintage handmade shoes, please post a pic. :flower:

I don't know anyone who has done it--I looked into John Lobb once, but it is a lot of money, significantly more than what a top-of-the-line Savile Row suit would cost. I'm sure that the end result would be a pleasure to wear, but there's a reason that the Prince of Wales does this sort of thing and not the great unwashed.

I have considered but haven't done it yet ...

PS I'm not the great unwashed, I take at least one shower per day :P :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also thought that it would cost a fortune to have a pair made, however, I have recently discovered a few cobblers who will either reproduce an existing pair, or construct a copy from a picture, for prices that are quite reasonable. The quality of these artisan's work is fantastic, also.

If one were to spend $600-900US on a pair of Louboutin, then I would think that spending half of that on a pair of custom would be worth it! John Lobb is extremely respected and has a century of big ups behind the house, so it is not surprising that few could benefit from the craftsmanship of that company.

I am so happy to hear that some would take advantage if it were possible!!^_^

Georgina Goodman does some wonderful bespoke shoes - a real shoe couturier!

One day, one day....

I've been considering it at times, but since I don't really have a problem finding shoes that fit I'm too lazy to go down that road... :P

And there are great quality shoes "off the rack" as well, after all.

But I would also love to hear from someone who has had bespoke shoes made and what the experience was like!

susie_bubble said:
Georgina Goodman does some wonderful bespoke shoes - a real shoe couturier!

One day, one day....
don't forget raymond massaro...the absolute best.... :heart:

one day..!! :wub:

scandababian said:
I also thought that it would cost a fortune to have a pair made, however, I have recently discovered a few cobblers who will either reproduce an existing pair, or construct a copy from a picture, for prices that are quite reasonable. The quality of these artisan's work is fantastic, also.

If one were to spend $600-900US on a pair of Louboutin, then I would think that spending half of that on a pair of custom would be worth it! John Lobb is extremely respected and has a century of big ups behind the house, so it is not surprising that few could benefit from the craftsmanship of that company.

Wait, weren't you asking if anyone had done it? Have you done it? If I knew artisans who could make me a pair of high-quality custom shoes for $300-450, I'd make an appointment in a second.

The closest thing I have is hand-made shoes by Munoz Vrandecic, the artisanal quality of which are stunning, but they were not made specifically for me.

If I had the money, I would get all my basic heels custom fitted to my fit- and made with CUSHIONING! Of course, not being made of money...

kLm said:
If I knew artisans who could make me a pair of high-quality custom shoes for $300-450, I'd make an appointment in a second.

Same here...:blink:

kLm said:
Wait, weren't you asking if anyone had done it? Have you done it? If I knew artisans who could make me a pair of high-quality custom shoes for $300-450, I'd make an appointment in a second.

I am currently having a pair of boots made. I do think that to find someone qualified to do it for this price it takes a little more investigation than visiting one of the most famous bespoke shoemakers in the UK. ^_^

However, there may be no one in your area that does it at a lower price, I don't know, that's part of the reason I started the thread about "this potentially lost art". The cobbler who is making my boots was trained at the Scarpa factory in Italy and the samples of his work that I have seen are beautiful. I can't wait to get my boots! I post them when I do.

You're very lucky Scandababian! :woot:
Do share pics when they're done! :heart:

i would love some handmade shoes, since my feet are weird shaped and most shoes never fit my feet properly. too bad i haven't found anyone who makes shoes, let alone make quality shoes (which i don't know too much about. sigh)

do you guys think this site is trustworthy http://www.beautiful-shoes.com

stilettogirl84 said:
It seems a bit too good to be true:( especially at those prices

i thought about that also :unsure: and i'm also not sure if it'd a good idea to do it over the internet. i was hoping someone would have some experience with them or something :ninja:

durn. looks like i'll have to stick with flipflops and tennies/sneakers for a bit. :cry: heels never fit properly and neither do flats. they are often uncomfy and can't accomidate the peculiar shape of my foot (wide with a little bone in the middle)

anyone who has ever had their shoes made on this forum, could you please help us out and tell me what to look for/where to find a quality shoemaker?

scandababian, did the boots ever come through? Are you enjoying them? I'm very curious; I'd love to have my own shoes made just for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbaggwanders
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->