Best Albums of 2013

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
it's that time of year again….

i have many frankly so i will make this unlimited. sadly,many lists i've seen from music outlets fail to reflect anything that i actually loved this year.

------

broadcast-berberian sound studio(the final recording with trish keenan)

boards of canada-tomorrow's harvest

goldfrapp-tales of us(back on lush form but showing a great sense of maturity)

david bowie-the next day

mazzy star-seasons of your day

nick cave and the bad seeds-push the sky away

depeche mode-delta machine

marnie-crystal world

anna calvi-one breath

cocorosie-tales of grass widow

trentemoller-lost

hk119-imaginature

the knife-shaking the habitual

tricky-false idols

my bloody valentine-mbv

Mine is incredibly short...

Rudimental - Home
Disclosure - Settle
M.I.A. - Matangi

Beyoncé - Beyoncé

Also the only albums I got this year.

my top 5 is something like:

julia holter - loud city song
scout niblett - it's up to emma
disclosure - settle
sigur rós - kveikur
beyoncé - beyoncé

wow, so many interesting choices. for me, it'd have to be (in no particular order:(
the knife - shaking the habitual
london grammar - if you wait
beyoncé - beyoncé
prince innocence - lapse [ep]
glasser - interiors
atoms for peace - amok
fka twigs - ep2
rhye - woman
lorde - pure heroin
diego garcía - laura
banks - london
chvrches - the bones of what you believe

that's awfully long, but this is just terribly hard. and i'm more than certain i'm missing a few..

Well I have a very long list.

• Toro y Moi - Anything In Return
• Beach Fossils - Clash The Truth
• FIDLAR - FIDLAR
• Foals - Holy Fire
• Palma Violets - 180
• Rhye - Woman
• Wavves - Afraid of Heights
• Peace - In Love
• Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
• Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
• Disclosure - Settle
• Kanye West - Yeezus
• Smith Westerns - Soft Will
• Jagwar Ma - Howlin
• Swim Deep - Where The Heaven Are We
• King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon
• Arctic Monkeys - AM
• Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
• Haim - Days Are Gone
• Lorde - Pure Heroine
• Yuck - Glow & Behold
• Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time

My fave : Phoenix - Bankrupt!

Then :

Arctic Monkeys - AM
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Stromae - Racine carrée
Drake - Nothing was the same
Beyoncé - Beyoncé
Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady

I love My Bloody Valentine but mbv was such a disappointment for me :(. Sky's Night Time My Time too My faves this year would be:

Rhye - Woman
Disclosure - Seattle
CHVCHRES - The Bone of What You Believe
Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Kanye West - Yeezus (when it come out I had to go to this military camp for a month without internet so I had to sneak out and download it in LQ format to my iPod with some stolen wifi :lol:, and luckily it did not disappointed me one bit)

Mine are:

Arctic Monkeys - AM
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

these are the only albums that I can listen to from beginning to end and not get bored or skip a track :smile:

diego garcía - laura

seeing your post reminded me that I still haven´t listened to his album (the release date came and went and I forgot about it). I´m gonna add it to my list, great album :D

Are you from Mexico? have you ever heard of argentine singer, Sandro? I keep hearing his influence on this album :blush:

Autre Ne Veut – Anxiety
Arcade Fire – Reflektor
Darkside - Psychic
Sky Ferreira – Night Time, My Time
Haim – Days Are Gone
Julia Holter - Loud City Song
Local Natives – Hummingbird
Majical Cloudz – Impersonator
Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park
Youth Lagoon – Wondrous Bughouse

seeing your post reminded me that I still haven´t listened to his album (the release date came and went and I forgot about it). I´m gonna add it to my list, great album :D

Are you from Mexico? have you ever heard of argentine singer, Sandro? I keep hearing his influence on this album :blush:

i absolutely loved the album. and now that you mention it, i can hear some of sandro in there. what a good reference. now i'm going to be on a sandro binge, thank you for that. haha! it brings back good memories. :heart:

also, i'd like to add james blake's overgown. i can't believe i didn't add that to my list. it's such an obvious answer it just slipped by me.

yeah yeah yeahs-mosquito

such a strong departure for them….one of the few bands brave enough not to repeat themselves and i loved it.

I agree with a lot of you here:
Anna Calvi: One breath
Arcade Fire: Reflektor
Arctic Monkeys: AM
Vampire Weekend: Modern Vampires of the City
M.I.A.: Matangi
Atoms for Peace: Amok

albums

kanye west - yeezus
polica- shulamith
drake- nothing was the same
toro y moi- nothing in return
wild belle- isles
fka twigs- ep2
jhene aiko- sail out
m.i.a- matangi

mixtapes
18+- mixtap3
Marygold- sex hormone'd druggie

Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories"

This is the only album that i listened this year, every song are an master piece & also i'm interested to hear the recent work of Bowie & Depeche Mode.

Nice to see Boards of Canada, Scott! really need to get around Tomorrow's Harvest asap.

Disclosure seems to be taking the lead everywhere and I found it so intolerable, but will admit that what other people did with some of their songs was amazing... You & Me's remix by Flume is :heart:.. played it nonstop all summer.

Cupid Deluxe by Blood Orange. Got goosebumps the first time I played it.. he nailed the nostalgic vibe of the late 90s and still made it so new and relevant (cause it's layered with improved lyricism, even though I still think he sucks a little in that department :lol:).

Virgins by Tim Hecker. I became addicted to playing this while walking around town at 5-ish am, it just breathtaking and takes a whole other meaning with those sunrises and 'new day' uncertainty.

Isles by Wild Belle. Must've showered to this blasting in my house at least 50 times this year... and seeing them live in the perfect summer setting (sunset + palm trees + free entrance) made the songs so memorable.

Drifters/Love is the devil by Dirty Beaches. Beautiful album... I love how it's all industrial junk (in the best of ways) and he's still such a romantic... he got rid of any hint of that when I saw him live though, and we were left with the steady factory sounds, some people walked out it PISSED. Oops. :lol:

The Invisible Way by Low. :heart:

Blood Tears by SISU.

Blue Record by Unknown Mortal Orchestra.

Nothing was the Same by Drake. :angel:

Static by Cults. I caught them live by accident last year and found them so annoying to the point we left but after stumbling upon some songs from Static on hypem, I ended up getting the whole thing and it's so pretty (despite being about a bad breakup), it does have all these elements that made them annoying initially (the voice, silly chorus, corny melodies) but the dark topic in their lyrics take things to another dimension, you end up embracing the prom-like feel of their music almost as a shelter.

Reflektor by Arcade Fire. I have limited patience for their sounds but he just writes so beautifully (p*rno!).

There was also some decent music that I loved but did not come out in an album, sort of just got around: Laurel's Blue Blood demo, Make it by Snakehips, Cid Rim's remix of Chvrche's Recover, Collapse by Vancouver Sleep Clinic, Unknown Mortal Orchestra's remix of Sky Ferreira's Everything's Embarrassing (it was put up about a year ago but I discovered it this year! :lol:).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Weeknd - KissLand
Stromae - Racine Carrée :heart:
Kaaris - Or Noir
Kanye West - Yeezus
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail
Gesaffelstein - Aleph
Drake - Nothing Was The Same
Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Beyoncé - Beyoncé

mullet,BOC was and is fantastic. as sublime as they ever were. a very much welcomed return for them.

i have to be honest,i tried to like reflektor but it just didn't suck me in. it felt a little too contrived….maybe even a little wannabe-esque. and i've listened to prior albums to much the same feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->