Boho is out, Beatnik is back

model_mom

Reaction score
t.gif
The Boho look is out, Beatnik is back
(Filed: 04/07/2005)

The Beatnik look provides a sharp alternative to boho. Kate Moss, in her skinny drainpipe jeans and 'baker boy' caps, is naturally already wearing it, writes Hilary Alexander, Fashion Director

efbeat45.jpg
Inspirational: John Galliano for Dior

Black of eye and dressed in black, The Beatnik is back. High street stores are planning a major fashion shift this month to sweep away the romantic gipsy look that has turned city streets into a pastorale of pavement skimming boho skirts and peasant blouses.

The look is short, sharp, graphic and 1960s influenced, a complete about-turn from florals, paisleys, frills and flounces.

Aimed at the 16-25 age group, the New Beatnik will drive a wedge between the generations, eliminating the ageless dressing which in recent seasons has seen mothers and daughters wearing almost identical clothes.

"The kids are bored with boho, all this sweetness and light. They want something sharp and graphic - and Beatnik is it," says Jane Shepherdson, brand director for the Topshop chain.

efbeat199.jpg
The new look: 'it's irresistable to the young'Ms Shepherdson said key elements of the new Beatnik Look, such as the skinny drainpipe jeans popularised by the supermodel-style icon, Kate Moss, and ''baker boy'' caps, were already on sale.

By mid-July, all 300 Topshop stores will have collections of black and white striped mini-dresses, winkle-picker-toe, flat knee-boots and striped, loose fitting sweaters designed to fall off one shoulder, priced between £2 for a black and white necktie to £120 for a short, belted black cotton mac.

"This is a complete change," Ms Shepherdson said. "Apart from beatnik, it's got elements of rock and roll, punk, gothic and Audrey Hepburn so it's irresistable to the young. Kate Moss and her boyfriend Pete Doherty have got it already. And everyone in the Topshop offices is already wearing black."

The Asda chain is also targeting the beat look for this autumn. "Our main thrust will be in the G21 range of George at Asda, which is aimed at the 16- to 22-year-olds," said Sophie Clinch, the ladieswear design director.

"Obviously the beatnik-inspired clothes are the essential bits, but we see it making a major impact on hair and make-up, particularly with the comeback for the big, dark smokey eye. It's a total pace-change and very youth-oriented, just like the 1960s."

Even Marks & Spencer is planning to cash in, albeit belatedly, on the beatnik revival. A 16-piece black-and-white collection including Sgt Pepper-style jackets, short shift dresses, striped mohair-mix V-necks and pointy-toe knee boots, either flat, or with a small kitten heel, will be on sale in 30 stores, priced between £15 and £99, from October.

The chief influence for the return of the Beatnik has come from two sources: fashion and film.

Back in January, the designer John Galliano used Edie Sedgwick - the beautiful, glamorous and wealthy, but ultimately doomed muse who was the constant companion of pop artist, 1960s icon and film-maker Andy Warhol and the inspiration behind several songs on Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde album - as the inspiration for a black-and-white ''Beat'' collection in his spring/summer haute couture collection for Christian Dior. He reprised the look two months later in his autumn/winter ready-to-wear collection for the brand.

From Fashion Telegraph.com UK

Last edited by a moderator:
the striped shirts make me think of edie sedgwick.

i am so sick of boho.:doh:

beat-nik = kool

THANK YOU!! : totally agree i am so over the beaded peasant tunics all over eastern long island & nyc.

i far prefer the audrey hepburn 'funnyface' [/maynard krebs] beatnik vibe & posture.

I dont smoke or play the bongos but im going to run out to a cafe right now & read an old paperback & write some zen koans over green tea.

black is going to be HUGE for fall & I LOVE the b&w stripes [and blue/white stripes too] with my pegleg continental trousers.

wait til the edie sedgwick movie comes out the beatnik & mid-60s MOD is going to be THE look again. imported merc, fred perry & ben sherman vintage pieces are forever my mod wardrobe staples.

Blah. I prefer neither look. I am sick of over-the-top bohemian everywhere, but I have a feeling that if this invades stores and then streets I could be just as sick of it. Why must everything in fashion now be so themed?

i think i got sick of the boho look is because everyone started to wear the skirt the exact same way - paired up with a white tank top, beaded necklace and flip flops.

perhaps this trend won't have everyone wearing the striped shirt the same way. but then again maybe not.

"oooooahghooooaghooooohaaaaaa" This post literally made me drool. I've been trying to be upbeat and wear colors...but the temptation is far too strong...

Black and white..."ooooooaaaaghoooooooaaaaaaah"

Emi

Stop commodifying our countercultures! :furious:

Useless. On the good side, it's not as easy to stuff fake breasts and orange tan into beatnik as it is with boho.

seraphelle said:
Useless. On the good side, it's not as easy to stuff fake breasts and orange tan into beatnik as it is with boho.

:innocent: :D

I do appreciate the gamine look of the beatnik (I went through a huge beatnik phase a couple of years ago - high tight ponytails, black rimmed glasses, black black black streamlined clothing) - I was always the one who could never understand why audrey hepburn's 3/4 sleeve black sweaters, drainpipe trousers and ballet flats were supposed to be frumpy next to the colourful givenchy wardrobe in funny face, because they seemed so chic and intelligent to me. that said, I won't be partaking in the contrived revival.

besides,in my opinion, 'the new beatnik' already exists and has for a while now - in the form of the emo, albeit substituting the cigarettes for veganism.

^ Agree with the emo comparison Utopia.... :flower:

Although I don't like the new beatnik, since I find it totally phony..... ...it's still refreshing compared to boho.... But of course boho was refreshing when it STARTED going mainstream, then it became really annoying, same will happen with the new beatnik.... The pic is quite scary though, reminds me so much of Dior F/W 05. :D

I went to an amusement park Magic Mountain and all the kids where doing this look. The only people wearing Boho where moms

The look already seems to become populare for awhile with hipster kids.

I'm just sick of revivals.

Kimkhuu said:
^ Agree with the emo comparison Utopia.... :flower:

Although I don't like the new beatnik, since I find it totally phony..... ...it's still refreshing compared to boho.... But of course boho was refreshing when it STARTED going mainstream, then it became really annoying, same will happen with the new beatnik.... The pic is quite scary though, reminds me so much of Dior F/W 05. :D

Agreed. You just know that in a year, when the trend has reached saturation point, there will be a complete about-face.

seraphelle said:
On the good side, it's not as easy to stuff fake breasts and orange tan into beatnik as it is with boho.
:lol: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I disagree with the beatnik/emo comparison. Emo kids are little whiny weaklings. Beatniks are intellectuals and independent thinkers. Both may wear black, but they wear it very differently in my opinion.

I like this, but friends of mine and I have been doing this look for a while now, so it's not news to me :ninja:

I love this look,and I'm so afraid that it becomes huge and everybody is wearing it. I don't want that it happens the same that with boho (At first I like it, but now that it's an invasion I want it to disapear)

Is the pic from Top shop or M&S? It is completely a Dior copy, the stripped minidress, flat boots and cap are the same.

kristi evert said:
I dont smoke or play the bongos but im going to run out to a cafe right now & read an old paperback & write some zen koans over green tea.

LMAO:lol:

I hate it every time when some look gets really big..But "beatnik" seems nice. Btw, I'm reading Jack Kerouacs book "The subterraneans and Pic" right now ^_^

Thanks for posting :heart:

I'm so sick of the boho look, and the fact that you haven't been able to get anything else from the stores, but please, why does beatnik have to become the "New Look" ?? then that one will be trashed too...all the teenagers being "beatnik"...ugh.why do the shops have to have this one look which comes to popularised by everyone...why can't people just be original????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kev007
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->