Brands That Need a Makeover/Overhaul

^ I think Stefano should retire ... it would be nice to see some fresh blood and perspectives at Dolce & Gabbana.

Dolce & Gabbana
Givenchy
Balenciaga
Alexander McQueen
Jil Sander

Dolce & Gabbana
Givenchy
Balenciaga
Alexander McQueen
Jil Sander

Agreed. Jil Sander is a disappointment that not even a mother could love. Balenciaga and Givenchy are as dry as day old bread. I'm actually finding it more and more difficult to tell them apart. Alexander McQueen suffers from a lack of imagination. D&G is D&G, not much to say there.

I'm going to say Louis Vuitton & Burberry. They both seem to have a little bit of an identity crisis going on right now. Are they supposed to be high-fashion for the 1%, or the go-to brand for uber-cool millennials who represent the new nouveau riche? "Both!" doesn't really quite cut it for me. :unsure:

I'm feeling that Bottega Veneta needs an overhaul :ninja: I guess I didn't think it was that broken. When you make intrecciato with a weave as big as seatbelts, do you really need great artisans anymore? :huh: To me it sounded great to install someone from Celine at Bottega, but so far super disappointed in the results. The only thing I've seen that I really liked was some alligator pouches ... and I assume there's zero chance I will want to pay the pricetag :lol:

^^
Isn’t it a bit early to say that. Bottega Veneta was a bit dusty lately...
I think with time, they will manage to merge those two heritage in a more cohesive way.
I think the problem is that a lot of pieces looks like prototypes but it won’t sell and they will decide accordingly. But I think Daniel Lee is good for Bottega. His approach to design needs to be less pretentious.

I'm going to say Louis Vuitton & Burberry. They both seem to have a little bit of an identity crisis going on right now. Are they supposed to be high-fashion for the 1%, or the go-to brand for uber-cool millennials who represent the new nouveau riche? "Both!" doesn't really quite cut it for me. :unsure:
Louis Vuitton is not Moynat...
It’s been a long time since it was about both. In fact, Vuitton from the moment they started to open stores overseas (before Arnault), they wanted to attract both.

High Fashion at that level can’t be 100% exclusive.
Those brands don’t have identity crisis but commercial goals.

The 1% population is always going to have their custom luggages made by Vuitton and they will always have access to the most expensive pieces of RTW.

^ Yes, it is early, but I am so not feeling it :wink: I guess I feel that Lee's brand of minimalism is in conflict with Bottega's artisanal heritage. His designs don't appear to utilize the weaving skills they've developed. Tomas did this very well, and with a great deal of variety. Lee seems to know how to showcase beautiful skins, but not the heritage workmanship. That to me is a problem.

Nicolas and Virgil are clashing so hard, it's making me uncomfortable.

Proenza Schoulter RTW

Dolce & Gabbana still with the same tired formula.

what brands do you think are stuck in a rut or have just become passé? Which ones need new designers and/or completely new visions/aesthetics? Are there any that you think should just be shut down? Are there ones that have lost their hype and have as they say in the TV industry "jumped the shark"? (I guess we could use "broke the heel" for a fashion brand? I dunno)

Personally I think that Dolce & Gabbana and Chanel are stuck in a rut. Balmain is passé. Dior and Saint Laurent and McQueen need new designers. The failed revival houses like Vionnet should be shut down. Rodarte has "jumped the shark", it's become tired and no longer lives up to its hype.
I completely agree with you.

Giorgio Armani desperately needs a facelift. I don't think the products match the prestige of the name anymore. It's dowdy and boring. I will give them props for staying far away from the youth trend, but they could really shake things up and bring in some new clientele. Whoever takes the creative reigns after Giorgio will be very lucky. The resources at their disposal will be endless. Imagine Phoebe at Armani? That would be incredible.

Whoever takes the creative reigns after Giorgio will be very lucky. The resources at their disposal will be endless.
I think about this literally all the time. Whoever ends up taking over HAS to be worthy. They have to have experience, interest, integrity, and a VAST knowledge of fashion/design. The outcome would be spectacular. Can you imagine if Armani got into the wrong hands and ended up turning into like what Balenciaga/Dior/Chanel/etc/etc/etc is now? Literally over my dead body.

Giorgio Armani desperately needs a facelift. I don't think the products match the prestige of the name anymore. It's dowdy and boring. I will give them props for staying far away from the youth trend, but they could really shake things up and bring in some new clientele. Whoever takes the creative reigns after Giorgio will be very lucky. The resources at their disposal will be endless. Imagine Phoebe at Armani? That would be incredible.

There are so many lines at Armani that the person who will take the job might end-up closing some of them.
I would love Armani to be in the hands of an Italian. Maybe Alessandra Facchinetti! She is versatile (her work for Tod's couldn't be more different to what she has done previously), she can do Couture and she is quite chic. The menswear can be handle by the team under the direction of Alessandra. They should just keep Mainline, PRIVE and Emporio. I think Exchange and stuff can disappear.

The beauty of Armani, is that for a boring, conservative brand, they have managed to remain modern. The campaigns are always sleek, the stores are timeless, the red carpet are always perfectly done and the fragrances/celebrities are always on brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->