New York Model Management
Milan
Elite Milan
London
Premier Model Management

Interview and text by Jonathan Shia for models.com
Photo by Dirk Alexander
Lookbook images courtesy of Band of Outsiders

MDC: When did you first find out all the details about the presentation?

Brendan: My booker emailed me a few weeks before Milan Fashion Week and said that Band of Outsiders had a special request. It ended up being pretty special.

MDC: What was your thought process like in deciding to do the presentation?

Brendan: It was fast. I had just woken up when I read the email. I thought Scott was cool and I had never been to Paris before, so I said yes. And I had just quit a really physical nine-to-five job so I thought it would be easy.

MDC: What was the other job?

Brendan: The other job was tree-planting. I was getting tired of modeling in New York so I decided to take some time off and go tree-planting with my brothers. It was a really humbling experience and it gave me a new perspective on life and the opportunities that I had modeling. So after a month I decided that I wanted to go back and do Milan Fashion Week and that was that.

MDC: Did you have plans to come to Paris Fashion Week before you booked the Band of Outsiders show?

Brendan: I just came for Band of Outsiders. I hadn’t done Paris Fashion Week until now. I don’t have an agency here. I’m happy I didn’t have to run around to any castings.

MDC: You’ve worked with Band of Outsiders and designer Scott Sternberg before. Did you and Scott get a chance to talk about this show before you started?

Brendan: Yes we did. We spoke on Skype a few weeks before the show and went over everything. He said it wasn’t going to be too serious and that I could do it. Thanks Scott. I did it!

MDC: What did you do to pass the time?

Brendan: I took naps, usually in the looks that had sunglasses. I read a book that Scott gave me called Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, which I liked a lot. I also drew pictures, took photographs, and painted all of the protesting signs in my compartment with the stencils they gave me. I really took my time and did a good job. They were aligned and centered perfectly and had the same color schemes as the quotation marks on the pins and in the collection.

MDC: Did you have any interesting encounters with people outside?

Brendan: I did actually. Someone mooned me. I was trying to get to sleep one night and these people kept banging on the glass. When I finally looked up someone was mooning me. I don’t think he knew that he was participating in a live stream. Also a stranger asked me out via email and wouldn’t stop emailing me. I made it so that their emails go straight to my spam folder. Stranger things could have happened.

MDC: What did you miss the most during the show?

Brendan: I’m not sure. My bed? Showering? Privacy. I didn’t miss too much. It was only three days and I had it pretty good in my compartment. I read a news article that said I was eating instant noodle soup, which is false. I ate takeout French food for every meal and drank beer with my dinner. They spoiled me. I almost didn’t want to leave.

source models.com

Band of Outsiders Fall/​Winter 2012 | New York Fashion Week

source thefashionisto.com

New York Model Management Fall/​Winter 2012 Show Package

source thefashionisto.com

behinD the scenes @ banD of outsiDers ss13 with brenDan ruck @ new york moDels who tells us about his 60 hour experience locked in a small compartment built in a gallery's winDow for the longest show ever ...

source youtube.com, uploaded by moDelstalking

Elite Milano Model: Brendan Ruck

source youtube.com, uploaded by catwalkwhore

Backstage @ Duckie Brown S/S 2011

source youtube.com, uploaded by catwalkwhore

Show Package – New York S/S 13

033_Brendan_Ruck.jpg

models.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members