Burberry's Christopher Bailey and his 11 Rules of Style

Brogue

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted before, and since I'm so horrible at finding things within this forum I thought I would just post this. It's Christopher Bailey's (Creative Director for Burberry) Rules of Style. The Details Men's Style Manual also has style tips from other designers such as Zac Posen, Michael Kors, Donna Karan, and more.

1. If your jewelery or cuff links are the first thing somebody comments on when they look at you, they're probably a little too much. A watch should be something discreet, not opulent. It should go with everything.

2. It's fun to wear things that are "of the moment." Just not everything. That's too much.

3. You need to sense the body underneath the clothes. When you can't see the body underneath clothing, it looks sloppy.

4. If you're somebody who's not so into fashion, just dress for the environment that you're in. If you're in the city, stick with clothing that's dark and tailored.

5. I really admire men who can wear ties. I love the idea of it, but men my age don't feel comfortable in a suit. I feel likke suck a prick in one, like I'm pretending to be the big guy here. Any I'm really sick of that suit-with-sneakers-and-T-shirt look. The shoes are key. I hate when you see someone in tailored paints and brand-new sneakers and you can just tell it's not their personality. I want to tell them to get a nice pair of brogues.

6. A suit needs a nice classic shirt. Opulent prints and bright colors are better with jeans and chinos than suits.

7. I think guys are definitely less intimidated by the whole concept of grooming in the last few years, but it has nothing to do with those five guys [from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy]. It has more to do with people like David Beckham, a straight guy brave enough to go out in a skirt or pluck his eyebrows. And he’s the most masculine soccer player, married to this beautiful woman. That’s more influential than those give guys.

8. A few little squirts of fragrance on your chest is better than ten squirts on your neck. And unless you’re really, really handsome, don’t get highlights.

9. If you feel a little bit overdressed, you’re probably really overdressed.

10. You have to be a certain type to carry off a leather jacket. If you do wear one, it should be tailored. A boxy one will age you.

11. When it comes to dressing, I think men have to try a little harder, a little less hard as well. It’s contradictory, but I think we’re lazy. You have to be a little adventurous, but you have to listen to your soul and have good instincts. You know if you look like a dick. You have mirrors.

[from Details.. Men's Style Manual]

Attachments

• christopherbailey.jpg
    christopherbailey.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, doesn't he just look to prada anyway

I can kind of understand that. All of his Prorsum collections are kind of Prada downplays. Working with similar ideas, but definitely not taking them as far.

rules???? no thanks....you can keep 'em chris.

I love those Rules of Style from the Designers...so interesting to hear thier prospective. Even if we dont agree

I have that book. I should post some of the other ones.

I thought Zac Posen's (at least I think it was his) rules were pretty good

he design nice clothes but too lightweight to be influential...if he left, it wouldn't be the biggest lost to fashion for me.

:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->