• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Canadian Designers and Labels

fezbatik

Reaction score
Mods, I figured there would not be enough traffic to start seperate threads about individual Canadian Designers (though I hope there might be ), so I thought I would start a more general thread on Canadian designers and Canadian labels. I hope that this is alright with you. :flower:

I figure, L'Oreal Fashion Week ended not long ago - so while some of it is still fresh in our minds - or maybe you are new to Canadian fashion - some of our talent is very fresh and free spirited - much like us Canadians - I thought it definitely deserved a thread.

Here's a taste - and please, if there is a particular Canadian Designer or lablethat you particularily love - share it!! :flower:

Arthur Medonca is from Toronto -
his collections have been presented on runways in Los Angeles, Montréal, São Paulo and Toronto. The autumn 2006 collection was presented during Olympus Fashion Week in New York in February 2006.
I like this collection way better than anything else Arthur has done, but shows he's growing as a designer...and movin' on up:

All pics are from mbfashionweek.com - the first 2 are from S/S 2006 - the 3rd is from S/S 2005.

Attachments

• Arthur1.jpg
    Arthur1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Arthur2.jpg
    Arthur2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Arthur2005.jpg
    Arthur2005.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3
GREAT idea for a thread! I really want to know more about canadian designers and bring their fashion to prominance. One designer who is now getting sold internationally is David Szeto who is doing quite well at the moment I think. Just hope he can keep it up.

I'm also into the following:

Chulopony - great for petites, I absolutely adore the way their clothes fit my frame. www.chulopony.com
it's whimsical stuff, from Vancouver.

Mercy has been around for a while.
Joeffer Caoc for Misura
CinCyn

Toronto Fashion Incubator also just held it's new labels competition.

and something you might all not know:
That Toronto is the 3rd largest garment producing city in North America, rivaled only by New York and Boston.

We're talking seamstresses here, not design...

but i thought that was pretty interesting. We are also losing something like 30% of that revenue a year due to off shore contracts.

moral of the story - buy local people.

My absolute Favourite Canadian Line - "excited"

Joeffer Caoc (Some of the photos)
Toronto's L'oreal Fashion Week Fall 2006

1.jpg
5.jpg

7.jpg
9.jpg

10.jpg
11.jpg

12.jpg
14.jpg

16.jpg
17.jpg

19.jpg
21.jpg

22.jpg
23.jpg

25.jpg

Source: LorealFashionWeek.ca

Ohhh! I saw an interview of Arthur Medonca by Tim Blanks (another canadian hottie) on Fashion File and there were strong comparisons to Tom Ford ... not completely unfounded but regardless I like his work ...

I remember another Fashion File episode where Tim was profiling this designer that has asian descent .. I think he did menswear and he did a collection with an F1 car on the catwalk show ...

The only other canadia label I know its Club Monaco (which imho is much better than some other popular labels)

Interesting idea for a thread, I think this will become a wonderful thread! I'm really an outsider to Canadian fashion scene, don't know much about it...I'm very grateful a thread like this has been made!

Club Monaco was bought out my Ralph Lauren though I believe. Man those were the days, rockin' your Club Monaco sweatshirt. You aren't thinking of Simon Chang are you ultra? I'm not even sure he's cdn to be honest. Tim Blanks and Jeannie Betker (sp?) have done a LOT for cdn fashion

Meg, haha rocking the classic Club Monaco sweatshirts! I think I have 2 somewhere in my closet from the early high school years in black and white.

‘The continuing growth of Toronto Fashion Week, now entering its seventh season, continues to build upon past success with the highest number of Canadian designers showing to date’
http://www.lucire.com

COMRAGS
www.torontofashionweek.ca

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

13.jpg
15.jpg

16.jpg
25.jpg

21.jpg
18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you've already noticed but currently I am obsessing over the dark biker chic look. If I had it my way I'd throw in a litte Norma Jean Baker and bam! The perfect collection.

Another hot one...

Zoran Dobric
www.torontofashionweek.ca

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg
10.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

15.jpg

All of this stuff is wonderful, and I especially enjoy some of the spring/summer 06 collections like Beckerman and Paul Hardy. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on some of this stuff in Toronto?

I like some outerwear by Mackage...

The Asian designer might be Andy The Anh???

Meg said:
Club Monaco was bought out my Ralph Lauren though I believe. Man those were the days, rockin' your Club Monaco sweatshirt. You aren't thinking of Simon Chang are you ultra? I'm not even sure he's cdn to be honest. Tim Blanks and Jeannie Betker (sp?) have done a LOT for cdn fashion

Im not sure ... it can be Mr Chang ... Im not sure if the guy was canadian but he did show there .... Club Monaco bought my RL? EEEEEEeeewww!

No idea who's Jeannie Betker

LesYeux said:
All of this stuff is wonderful, and I especially enjoy some of the spring/summer 06 collections like Beckerman and Paul Hardy. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on some of this stuff in Toronto?

Holt Renfrew actually had a few Canadian designers in for the day during fashion week (apprx. 3 Saturdays ago) showing their f/w lines, including Beckerman. However, it unfortunatly didn't get the attention or promotion it deserved.

I believe Beckerman and Paul Hardy are both sold at Holts, Bloor location and in Montreal only. I know they also have a few more Canadian designers but i can't think of them off the top of my head... check out their website, they should be listed there!

jeannie betker is a canadian fashion journalist and hosts a program or two on ftv in Canada but internationally i think she's decently well recognized

There's also a network based in B.C.
It features local fashion designers, jewellery designers, textile designers/companies...

----> FashionHigh

They'll be hosting an event in Vancouver in May. Click here for details

I've heard of Pink Tartan and I like some of their stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->