Caroline Baker - Stylist

BerlinRocks

Reaction score
hop a thread for a living legend of stylism ....
in the same Legendary Temple like Ray Petri, Joe McKenna, Simon Foxton, Judy Blame, Mitzi Lorenz and the likes ...

Caroline-Baker-portrait.jpg

Baker, Caroline Stylist
Fashion styling and editing on magazines and newspapers in Europe and America. Career launched on Nova magazine, contributions to i-D, Elle, Vogue, Cosmopolitan and The Sunday Times. Presently fashion director of The Mail On Sunday You magazine. Styled various ad campaigns and brochures, with freelance styling work carried out internationally.
id magazine

I think it's gonna be hard to find some pictures on the internet ... But if some iD, Nova etc. connoisseurs could give the youngest (like me) some more informations and images ...... that would be great ....

from style bubble :

21 July 2007

Where it all began...

I grew up avidly reading The Face and i-D, so excited was I that there was this whole 'other side' of fashion that the conventional glossies didn't dare to go but at the time, I wasn' aware that they weren't the first publications to push the boat. I'm quite in love with my local secondhand bookstore, Black Gull Books, that gets a steady supply of interesting fashion/photography books in every week and I've been hovelling up in there, skimming through every one of them. I picked up the companion book to an exhibition that toured in 2001 called 'Look at Me; Fashion and Photography in Britain 1960 to the Present' and saw prime examples of the styling work of 60's-70's key fashion editor, Caroline Baker. She was the fashion editor of Nova magazine, from 1967 and collaborated with the likes of Helmut Newton, Harri Peccinotti and Hans Feurer and this is what she said about working at Nova:
'When I joined Nova, Dennis Hackett was the editor and his brief to me was: 'I just want you to go out there and do different things. I don't want it to look like Vogue or Queen or anything else. Your fashion pages are to be different.' I was pushed into alternative fashion because that was what the editor wanted. That was the strength of Nova, we were exploring other avenues.'
What Harri Peccinotti, the first art director of Nova had to say:
'The reason fashion magazines look like they do is that they have to please the advertisers. At Nova, the fashion pages were almost an insult to fashion at times.'
It's that assault on mainstream fashion that I've always been attracted to, yet for me, I'm not giving a slap in the face for the Vogues, Harpers, Elle etc but rather, I'm grateful for having access to a well-rounded, all-encompassing view on fashion, with the seeds planted by publications like Nova and Deluxe (another 1970's indie fashion mag).
All images scanned from the book and now I will go on a hunt for vintage back issues. It's amazing how contemporary all the editorials look for something coming out of the 60's-70's and certainly has created a different facet to what I envisioned fashion of that era to be.

and the images of this article :

Attachments

• nova4.jpg
    nova4.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 17
  • nova3.jpg
    nova3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 16
  • nova2.jpg
    nova2.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 15
  • nova6.jpg
    nova6.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 16
  • nova5.jpg
    nova5.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 19
  • deluxe1.jpg
    deluxe1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 17
  • deluxe2.jpg
    deluxe2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 17
from id magazine website

Attachments

• 043.gif
    043.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 037.gif
    037.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 025.gif
    025.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 102_102.jpg
    102_102.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 116_117.jpg
    116_117.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the thread berlin...
i don't think i've ever seen her work before :flower:

thank you, BerlinRocks!
this is the talent to celebrate. hope we'll have more stuff here!

i found that you forget to credit the pics..berlin...

#2 1st - 'Splash', Photographed by Harri Peccinotti, styled by Caroline Baker, published in Nova, April 1971

2nd & 3rd - 'Tight is Right', Photographed by Helmut Newton, styled by Caroline Baker, published in Nova, April 1973

4th & 5th - 'We are just good fur-riends', Photographed by Hans Feurer, styled by Caroline Baker, published in Nova, January 1974

6th - 'Wild on the side walk', Photographed by Byron Newman, styled by Caroline Baker, published in Deluxe, issue no.1 1977

7th - 'Beds and Blankets', Photographed by Armet Francis, styled by Caroline Baker, published in Deluxe, issue no. 2 1978

where is she nowadays?fully retired?

No, she's not retired at all! She is now fashion director of YOU Magazine (Mail on Sunday) and still freelances. I think she just did a Hugo Boss campaign. She is a complete creative one-off!

The Face Magazine November 1986

"Feline Groovy"
Model: Yasmin Le Bon
Photographer: Tony McGee
Stylist: Caroline Baker
Hair: Rene Gelston
Makeup: B.J. Gillian

yasminlebon.net

UK The Sunday Times Magazine June 28th, 1987

"Mini Skirts Fly High This Summer"
Model: Renee Simonsen
Photographer: Tony McGee