Celebrities and the number of their Vogue covers

I am honestly shocked that a classic like Meryl Streep with so many Oscars (and Oscar nominations) under her belt has only had one Vogue US cover and it happened two years ago.

Paris Hilton: 2 Covers

US: 0, UK: 0, Italia: 0, Paris: 1

Turkey: 1

Vogue Paris November 2006
Vogue Turkey February 2011

Nicole Richie: 1 Cover

Vogue Italia October 2006

Kim Kardashian: 1 Cover

Vogue US April 2014

famousfix, trendhunter

Riley Keough: 2 Covers

US: 1, UK: 0, Italia: 0, Paris: 0

Korea: 1

Vogue US August 2004
Vogue Korea September 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
I am honestly shocked that a classic like Meryl Streep with so many Oscars (and Oscar nominations) under her belt has only had one Vogue US cover and it happened two years ago.
Yeah, but unlike with other celebs she never pursued, or was a big fan of Fashion. I doubt it ever mattered to her, for instance when Wintour called her to say they want her for the cover, Meryl's reply was; "Why would a Vogue reader be interested in me?" lol, bless her.

Personally what truly shocks me is the fact that someone with such recognizable personal style, and considered to be a true Fashion Icon like Gwen Stefani has only 2 Vogue covers, and its both for US, wow!

I'm shocked Liv Tyler never have had a Vogue US cover.
She should have one by the Lord of the Rings era. She was the face of Givenchy for so long. Was a regular guest to the Met Gala...

Sophia Loren, the first famous woman whose face was on the cover of US Vogue. Mostly just her eyes and lips haha, but what a woman! :heart:

Sophia Loren - 6 Vogue Covers:
US: 4 | UK: 1 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 0

1. US Vogue, May 1961
2. US Vogue, November 1962
3. UK Vogue, July 1965
4. US Vogue, December 1970
5. US Vogue, April 1972
6. Vogue Germany, December 2005

May1961andNov1962.jpg

July1965andDec1970.jpg

April1972andDec2005.jpg

famousfix.com, nytimes.com, eBay.com

Yeah, but unlike with other celebs she never pursued, or was a big fan of Fashion. I doubt it ever mattered to her, for instance when Wintour called her to say they want her for the cover, Meryl's reply was; "Why would a Vogue reader be interested in me?" lol, bless her.

Personally what truly shocks me is the fact that someone with such recognizable personal style, and considered to be a true Fashion Icon like Gwen Stefani has only 2 Vogue covers, and its both for US, wow!

I'm more disappointed than surprised that Meryl doesn't have more. Seems like every starlet that gets Oscar buzz nabs at least two covers, yet the Oscar queen only has one.

I too was surprised that Gwen Stefani at the height of her solo career and being renowned for her fashion sense (deservedly so, IMO) did not snag more Vogue covers.

I think that it comes down to having better management (depending on their celeb's career goals) + good relationships with the magazines. If it is a goal to establish the star as a "style icon" which nowadays merely comes down to looking good in whichever clothes your stylist dresses you in, then surely the star's management will prioritize fostering those ties so that she will make regular appearances in and on the magazines.

It's definitely not about talent or having a celebrated career. This is also made more difficult for actresses/singers who started before the 90's. They had to compete with models for the covers then, it's much easier for a celeb to get a Vogue cover in the 00's and beyond.

It's debatable whether it's really about the star's level of fame. As mentioned, Julia Roberts' numbers are way off compared to her peers. Britney Spears is the biggest pop star of her generation and she only has one. It probably doesn't help that she is known for having tacky style, but personally I find the fashion sense of many of the chosen celebs to be forced anyway.

I'm not sure that I really buy into the sales angle either. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I only vaguely remember reading this and may be thinking of someone else... I recall reading that Taylor Swift covers (any fashion mags) do not sell well and that Blake Lively's 1st or 2nd didn't do well either? Yet Blake continues to get Vogue covers and Taylor was recently on British Vogue. I would love to see some accurate stats on the sales of celeb covers if it is genuinely used as a factor for selecting cover subjects.

^ Very good points!

Quite frankly, its not about what your status in Hollywood is, or even how much you sell (though that helps), like so many things in life, there is a lot of Politics behind covers. And in the end it comes down, to how much "game" you & your management have. And most importantly how much Anna Wintour likes you, as a cover girl!

Anne Hathaway, had the worst selling issue when she first appeared on the cover, and yet she went on to get a third one, which also was the worst seller. Same for Blake Lively (both covers worst, and second worst sellers of that year - will see how her third did!), Rihanna also the worst seller, her March cover of this year is one of the worst performing March issues in years, according to reports.

Gwyneth Paltrow, also, is pure example of someone who was never their best seller, yet is the ultimate Vogue cover girl. I tihnk the reason Wintour can get away with it, because Vogue has such strong subscription base, the newsstands selling results, while important, are not be all of their business.

Someone like SJP sells like no other, even when she was on the June or July issue, she turned out to be the third best selling issue, that is amazing. Vogue readers adore her!

And then there are stories of successful women like Jennifer Lopez who at the height of her fame simply couldn't get the cover, because Wintour didn't feel her for Vogue. Finally later on in her career, she went through Harvey Weinstein who put in a good word with Wintour, and she got a January cover. And only few years ago, got her second appearance, she was smart, savvy and persistent, and got that second cover as well.

Also Mariah Carey, and her people wanted the cover since early 90s, and never got it. Sure she has tacky style, like Spears, but she would have made sense for the cover back then. It never happened for her. There have also been tons of rumors about Victoria Beckham campaign to get a second cover, on her own this time, and Wintour not feeling her. So really it's all down to Anna. Beyonce, also had to reach certain level of fame before she got her first cover. Prior to that, she had several meetings with Wintour at her Vogue office, for years with no luck.

On the flip side, she gave covers to two of Donald Trump trophy wives, all he had to do is pick up the phone. In the 80s, he gave Wintour his space for free, to host Fashion Shows for upcoming designers without any money, like Marc Jacobs.etc So he had the upper hand.

Its all just a game, and Wintour changes the rules when she wants to! Som omissions are truly glaring, and make no sense. I rolled my eyes at her August Blake fawning, that was embarrassing!

Fascinating looking at these lists. Thank you everyone for contributing.

I find it really interesting that Jennifer Lawrence has only had two covers. Only one for Vogue US. I mean, her breakthrough came in 2009 with Winter's Bone. Since then, she's had three Oscar nominations, including one win, she's been the IT girl since the first Hunger Games come out, and has been a constant presence in the gossip mags. To put it into perspective, Blake Lively has had four covers in that time-span, including three for Vogue US, without much of a career at all to speak of.

Another one who's managed to do well with these covers despite not having a career is Kate Hudson. Fortunately, all her solo covers look wonderful.

Every single one of Rihanna's covers is absolutely atrocious. How she keeps booking them I'll never know. Lady Gaga's covers are horrid as well, but luckily for us, she only has two. And speaking about music personalities, I'm surprised J.Lo doesn't have more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanessa Paradis: 3 Covers

US: 0, UK: 1, Italia: 0, Paris: 2

Vogue Paris November 1991
Vogue Paris November 2008
Vogue UK July 2011

Monica Bellucci: 4 Covers

US: 0, UK: 0, Italia: 0, Paris: 0

Spain: 3
Germany: 1

Vogue Spain October 1995
Vogue Germany November 2003
Vogue Spain June 2005
Vogue Spain December 2008

famousfix, vogue.es, bellazon

Jessica Chastain: 2 Covers

US: 1, UK: 0, Italia: 0, Paris: 0

Germany: 1

Vogue Germany January 2013
Vogue US December 2013

famousfix

Monica Bellucci also has a Vogue España cover from June 1988. Given that she is also a model, I thought she would have stood a chance at some bigger covers.

That's some great info, Miss Dalloway. Seems ridiculous that we always hear sales as a justification for putting celebs on covers, then Wintour continues using the same poor-selling celebs over and over. A fresh take is always welcomed. I was pleased to read that Lupita's cover did well.

I had my doubts that readers were really that interested in buying Rihanna covers and I completely agree with MyNameIs that they've all been downright awful. With this news about her latest cover, maybe Wintour will stop enabling that mess... but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Very interesting to think about Beyoncé's, J Lo's and Mariah's camps going all out to try and get them covers! Then contrasting that with Trump's wives. Celebrity alone isn't as powerful as the media would have us believe. Personally, I would love to see Victoria Beckham get a solo US cover.

I'm kind of surprised that Jodie Foster never got the cover (and I'm pretty sure that she's never had any Vogue covers) particularly around the time of "The Silence of the Lambs".

^ Agree on all points, and add me on the list of people who will never get Rihanna's appeal. Yeah Jodie was never on the cover, but she did grace covers like Vanity Fair.etc

But then there are some random Vogue choices from back then, like Michelle Pfeiffer (ok maybe not her, she is stunning, and a had a good career), but some like Julia Ormond, and Genna Davis just don't make sense for Vogue, to me. Each of them has 1 US Vogue cover.

I also remember reading in Page Six a lot about a feud between Meg Ryan and Anna Wintour. Apparently Meg was approached to do the cover at the height of her fame, and in the 90s she was gracing every Fashion magazine cover under the sun,
(from Elle, W to Bazaar.etc, several times over)but she demanded to have a full photo approval, something she always got back then, and Anna said; no way! Meg defo had the "look", and i always liked her.

Cher - 5 Vogue covers:

US: 5 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 0

1. US Vogue, April 1972
2. US Vogue, December 1972
3. US Vogue, May 1974
4. US Vogue, November 1974
5. US Vogue, February 1975

AprilandDec1972.jpg

MayandNov1974.jpg

February1975.jpg

ciaovogue.blogspot.com, ebay, etsy.com

GRACE KELLY (PRINCESS GRACE OF MONACO)
TOTAL = 2
US: 1 | UK: 1 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 0

December 1st 1971 - Vogue US
March 1st 1972 - Vogue UK

ebay / pepinski9
vogue.co.uk

CAROLINE, PRINCESS OF HANOVER
TOTAL = 5
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 4

October 1977 - Vogue Paris
March 1979 - Vogue Paris
December 1983/January 1984 - Vogue Paris
December 1985 - Vogue Germany
June/July 1988 - Vogue Paris

fashionindustryarchive
huffingtonpost
pinterest / olgafall
vintage80magazinesales.blogspot.com

PRINCESS STÉPHANIE OF MONACO
TOTAL = 3
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 2

July 1985 - Vogue Germany
September 1986 - Vogue Paris
December 2008/January 2009 - Vogue Paris

fashionindustryarchive
rdujour
scanned by Diorette

CHARLOTTE CASIRAGHI
TOTAL = 1
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 1

September 2011 - Vogue Paris

storemags via visualoptimism

ISABELLE ADJANI
TOTAL = 8
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 5

August 1983 - Vogue Germany
May 1984 - Vogue Paris
November 1988 - Vogue Paris
February 1992 - Vogue Paris
March 1993 - Vogue Paris
June/July 1994 - Vogue Paris
August 1994 - Vogue Germany
May 1997 - Vogue Germany

fashionindustryarchive
vogue.de
vogue.fr

EMMANUELLE BÉART
TOTAL = 2
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 2

August 1991 - Vogue Paris
February 1994 - Vogue Paris

pinterest / wlelandj
vogue.fr

SOPHIE MARCEAU
TOTAL = 4
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 3

August 2003 - Vogue Paris
May 2007 - Vogue Paris
April 2009 - Vogue Korea
May 2014 - Vogue Paris

aladin.co.kr
vogue.fr

JULIETTE BINOCHE
TOTAL = 1
US: 0 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 1

September 1995 - Vogue Paris

vogue.fr

CHARLOTTE RAMPLING
TOTAL = 6
US: 0 | UK: 1 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 4

August 1970 - Vogue Paris
September 15th 1970 - Vogue UK
May 1972 - Vogue Paris
May 1974 - Vogue Paris
November 1976 - Vogue Paris
April 1981 - Vogue Germany

ciaovogue.blogspot.com
fashionindustryarchive
pinterest / fellaaksu
scanned by Neyasnii Shepot
vogue.fr

JACQUELINE BISSET
TOTAL = 6
US: 4 | UK: 1 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 1

August 1st 1969 - Vogue US
December 1973 - Vogue US
September 15th 1974 - Vogue UK
May 1976 - Vogue Paris
October 1976 - Vogue US
March 1978 - Vogue US

ebay / avalon-collectibles
ebay / chapriley
ebay / paper-jungle
scanned by dfl-001
scanned by kelles
vogue.fr

MARISA BERENSON
TOTAL = 19
US: 5 | UK: 4 | Italia: 4 | Paris: 5

September 1st 1965 - Vogue US
October 1st 1965 - Vogue US
October 15th 1965 - Vogue US
January 15th 1966 - Vogue US
February 1st 1966 - Vogue US
April 1966 - Vogue Paris
April 1967 - Vogue Paris
June 1967 - Vogue Italia
July 1967 - Vogue Paris
December 1967 - Vogue Paris
September 1st 1968 - Vogue UK
March 1969 - Vogue Italia
July 1969 - Vogue UK
July 1970 - Vogue UK
October 1st 1973 - Vogue UK
November 1973 - Vogue Paris
October 1993 - Vogue Germany
October 1994 - Vogue Italia
September 2001 - Vogue Italia

amazon.co.uk
ciaovogue.blogspot.com
ebay / avalon-collectibles
ebay / paper-jungle
pinterest / donnamweisse
pinterest / pjc16
vogue.co.uk

MARISA BERENSON (cont'd)

ciaovogue.blogspot.com
imcm via minouchette
levangelista.net
vogue.de

NASTASSJA KINSKI
TOTAL = 10
US: 5 | UK: 0 | Italia: 0 | Paris: 2

October 1979 - Vogue Paris
May 1980 - Vogue US
October 1981 - Vogue US
May 1982 - Vogue US
July 1982 - Vogue US
October 1982 - Vogue Paris
November 1982 - Vogue Germany
July 1983 - Vogue US
July 1990 - Vogue Germany
December 1993 - Vogue Germany

ebay / paper-jungle
ebay / vegas4001
fashionindustryarchive
scanned by justaguy
vogue.de
vogue.fr

^ Thank you so much for posting all of these. Very surprised how many covers Adjani has, what a beautiful woman she is! Also surprised to see Binoche only has 1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alintus
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->