• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

CFDA Designers for Target + Neiman Marcus (Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Rag & Bone, Etc.)

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
H&M may have landed Donatella and Karl, but Target has always been on the cutting edge of designer collaborations, from the groundbreaking Isaac Mizrahi partnership and the GO International program to the mass hysteria that was the store-wide Missoni collection and the innovative boutique-within-a-store concept, Shops At Target, just this year.
Now Target is testing another version of designer collaboration. According to Women's Wear Daily, the retailer has enlisted 24 CFDA designers to contribute to a limited edition holiday collection... and it's got Neiman Marcus signed on to help. The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection, say execs, will be like nothing else either store's ever done.
Both Neiman Marcus and Target have strong followings and, in this era of high-low dressing, there are surely overlap customers. But the beauty of the collection, WWD reports, is that the 50+ items will all retail at both: priced from $7.99 to $499.99, the designer goods will somehow straddle the bargain store bins and glossy department store shelves.
So which American designers can you expect? Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Altuzarra, Marchesa and CFDA president Diane von Furstenberg are among the participants making womenswear, menswear, accessories and even home decor and sporting goods. Former GO International designers like Proenza Schouler and Rogan will also be returning.
In short, The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection will unite fabulous cadre of designers creating affordable yet still high-end products to be sold in multiple locations -- what more could we want?
An earlier launch date, that's what. The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection won't debut until December 1.

huffingtonpost.com

here is the full list of designers participating:

Alice + Olivia
Altuzarra
Band of Outsiders
Brian Atwood
Carolina Herrera
Derek Lam
Diane von Furstenberg
Eddie Borgo
Jason Wu
Judith Leiber
Lela Rose
Marchesa
Marc Jacobs
Oscar de la Renta
Philip Crangi
Prabal Gurung
Proenza Schouler
Rag & Bone
Robert Rodriguez
Rodarte
Skaist-Taylor
Thom Browne
Tory Burch
Tracy Reese

Last edited by a moderator:
it'll be a bust, most people have never heard of the majority of those names.

^You'd be surprised at what labels ordinary people know.

I'm just jealous that this is happening the other side of the pond, Neiman Marcus do international shipping, right ? :wink:

Each designer will contribute one to three designs in categories ranging from men’s, women’s, children’s clothing and accessories, sporting goods, home goods, and accessories for pet and electronics. (wwd)

Attachments

• 2012_7_target-neiman.jpeg
    2012_7_target-neiman.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 62
^You'd be surprised at what labels ordinary people know.

I'm just jealous that this is happening the other side of the pond, Neiman Marcus do international shipping, right ? :wink:

Completely agree. I remember when Missoni came out there were numerous women at the store that made me question whether these women knew what Missoni is. If it's a known/high end label, I'm sure there are many willing to go crazy for it.

^I know right ? Marni for H&M is a perfect example of that, it's hardly a household name but the amount of people who queued up for it and are spotting wearing those pieces is unreal.

well,i don't know if knowledge is necessarily true. i'm sure they're there but given the many episodes of animalistic behavior with these endeavours,to me it would seem the vultures have outweighed actual fans. and let's not forget those that follow these collabs out of pure hype and label-hounding.

anyway,as far as this not going over well,it also depends on your locale too. most of the target lines in my area were generally untouched for weeks and weeks.....so what littleathquakes says does have some truth to it. having said that,marc jacobs,von furstenberg,herrera,and de la renta are massive labels so i'm sure even granny gums who only flicks through a vogue at the checkout will know who they are.....even the most casual viewer of the E! channel will be familiar with those names. and rodarte has had such a strong presence in all the mainstream rags and certainly with young hollywood,it will garner some attention as well.

but to be honest,i'm bored with this stuff. it's getting staid. designers are no longer defined by being creators....they want to be part of this masstige. there's no longer that fine line and people expect too much from these endeavours. it's become too confusing.

Oh my god...I PRAY that I get my job that I interviewed for yesterday so I can get some goodies.

I doubt this will be a bust. I know at least the average teen vogue reader get bombarded with Marc Jacobs like 100 times per issue and those girls do go to target. I live in the 5th largest city in Texas and this stuff goes out fast.

I don't see why this is boring. After all, at the end of the day all designers want to make money.

^it's not about making money though. i just think these things have become so over-saturated,we've lost the concept of what being a true designer is all about. once in a while as a side project is fine(and i'm all for accessible clothes) but it feels like this is what fashion design has been reduced to.....disposable fashion rather than the true craft of designing and making clothes. the idea of having a designer item in this climate no longer feels as special as it used to.

^it's not about making money though. i just think these things have become so over-saturated,we've lost the concept of what being a true designer is all about. once in a while as a side project is fine(and i'm all for accessible clothes) but it feels like this is what fashion design has been reduced to.....disposable fashion rather than the true craft of designing and making clothes. the idea of having a designer item in this climate no longer feels as special as it used to.

I think now with this cdfa/target collab it has reached new heights because this one basically includes every new designer and I've lost count over how many high-street collabs rodarte already did, it seems like they advertise with their runway and then make money at target. It is similar in London with Topshop.

I'm guessing it has to do with the incredible amount of knocked off clothing that is coming out. Forever 21 seems to have a copy of all the cute runway dresses in less than a week. Why not design for a fast fashion and keep the money yourself?

I know there is a part of the designer that is being lost in fast fashion. The water down their signature to please the average mom that shops at target. The only ones that I can remember keeping their style while designing for target were Proenza Schouler.

Oh good! I was just thinking to myself "It's been a while since I was last trampled by a hoard of soulless eBay hoarders at Target." :rolleyes:

yay. if you like lots of Polyester at least. that's the best part about H&M imo, they tend to stick with 'good' materials when it comes to designer collabos.

yay. if you like lots of Polyester at least. that's the best part about H&M imo, they tend to stick with 'good' materials when it comes to designer collabos.

only a few designers in the list will be doing apparel. most of the collection is home decor, pet items or sporting goods etc.

so we wont have to worry about polyester.

The Missoni collection was an anomaly. I remember the JPG and Zac Posen collections were collecting dust at my local Target, which is in a city. Not a major city like NY, but I'm not exactly out in the woods where people wouldn't know fashion.

^ If I'm not mistaken, the Jason Wu for Target collection sold very fast.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Designer collaborations with Target (and H&M) have been hit-or-miss for me. But considering the massive and very impressive lineup, someone's bound to contribute something decent, right? I hope so. And the fact that they'll be priced up to $500 makes me think, perhaps, some of them will be decently made. I'm anticipating household items and decor more than clothes, since I'll soon be moving into a bigger apartment and could use some new items AND they're released in time for Holiday gift-giving.

[FONT=&quot]more on the collection, wonder what the 18 K gold item is![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]___
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At Neiman Marcus Group Inc., plans for a top secret tie-up went by the code name "T." Its partner called it "N." The hush-hush talks weren't for a merger but rather an experiment that pushes retailing's boundaries.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On Tuesday, the luxury retail chain said it will put together a limited collection from 24 American designers this holiday season with an unlikely partner—discounter Target Corp. TGT +0.13% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Items from fashion houses including Diane Von Furstenberg, Derek Lam, Rodarte and Tory Burch will range from $7.99 to $499.99 and average $60. Each chain will offer the same items, ranging from stationery to sporting goods, at the same price. The label will have both the Target bulls-eye logo and the Neiman Marcus logo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Customers fill the aisles at a Target store in Chicago on July 5.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The partnership is the latest move by Neiman's chief executive, Karen Katz, to make the high-end department store—which is often disparaged with the nickname "Needless Markup" —more accessible to a broader range of customers, specifically younger and less-affluent customers. The gamble is whether Neiman's association with Target's cheap-chic sensibility will erode the luxury chain's aura of exclusivity and the pricing power that confers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Retail Tie-Up[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection includes a mix of more than 50 limited-edition products, which range in price from $7.99 to $499.99. Designers include:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alice + Olivia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Altuzarra[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Band of Outsiders[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brian Atwood[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carolina Herrera[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Derek Lam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Diane von Furstenberg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eddie Borgo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jason Wu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Judith Leiber[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lela Rose[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Marchesa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Marc Jacobs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oscar de la Renta[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Philip Crangi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prabal Gurung[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proenza Schouler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rag & Bone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Robert Rodriguez[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rodarte[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skaist-Taylor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thom Browne[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tory Burch[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tracy Reese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The move taps into the high-low trend that has become more pronounced in retail since the recession. Shoppers pinch pennies on basics but splurge when they see something they really want. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The result is that expensive stores like Neiman's have regularly turned in strong sales growth, as have dollar stores on the low end. Companies in the middle, such as J.C. Penney Co. JCP +5.07% and Gap Inc., GPS +0.82% have suffered. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fashion designers, meanwhile, are increasingly comfortable dipping into mass-market channels, with such luminaries as Karl Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney producing clothing lines for H&M Hennes & Mauritz GPS +0.82% AB.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For Target, the benefits of the tie-up are clear. The discounter needs exclusive lines to keep shoppers in its stores, and it gets to bask in the glow of Neiman Marcus. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What's more, corralling so many designers would probably not have been possible without adding Neiman's clout. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For Neiman, the equation is more complex. It said it needed Target's extensive supply chain to produce the goods in bulk. But it already carries designer labels—at true designer prices with far fatter profit margins. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What it needs is a way to draw in people who otherwise might be too intimidated to step inside its stores. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While Neiman may be known for $1,000 Christian Louboutin stilettos and an extravagant holiday catalog featuring gifts like a $250,000 speedboat, the chain's executives say many of their customers shop at Target, which is known for smart designs at low prices. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The way people shop in the last decade, they mix and match," said Wanda Gierhart, Neiman's chief marketing officer. "A lot of Target shoppers shop in our stores." [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It is amazing how much we think alike," said Stacia Andersen, Target's senior vice president of merchandising for home furnishings, citing the emphasis both chains have put on design.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neiman Marcus brokered introductions to the designers in February. Target will produce the collection's 50 pieces, something Neiman lacked the wherewithal to do, Ms. Gierhart said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After years of relying on getting wealthy customers to pay higher and higher prices, Neiman under Ms. Katz has worked to broaden its appeal by offering new, lower-priced collections and toning down practices that were seen by some as snobbish. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In October, the department store did away with its long-standing policy of only accepting cash, American Express or a Neiman Marcus card. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lela Rose, one of the designers in the project, suspects some of her customers are Target shoppers. Ms. Rose produces bridal fashion and women's dresses that average $1,095 apiece. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Her core customers are affluent women between 35 to 60 years old who typically shop at Neiman, her biggest buyer. But she figures they shop for other goods at Target, where the median household income of shoppers is $64,000 a year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The dress and shirt she's making for the holiday collection aren't made with fabrics she would normally use, but she said the aesthetics are comparable to her regular product. Most important, the line will give her exposure to new customers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"There are so many collaborations these days and designers have seen it's not something that lowers your brand equity unless it's done in a poor quality way," she said. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neiman has considered partnering with Target for years, Ms. Gierhart said. It proposed a joint collection in December, and executives from Target flew to Neiman's Dallas headquarters to brainstorm how it might work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Target last September quickly sold out of a discount collection of clothes and furnishings from Italian fashion house Missoni, which drew huge lines and overloaded the company's website. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The new collection will debut Dec. 1 and run for three weeks at Target and Neiman stores and websites. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The line will include clothing and accessories, some involving difficult manufacturing using hand-blown glass, fine leather and 18 karat gold, she said. The Neiman Christmas catalog will offer the whole collection for purchase as a group, though the company declined to say how much it would cost. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Neiman Marcus has benefited from the luxury consumer's quick recovery from the recession. Revenue for the three quarters to April 28 rose 8.3% to $3.3 billion, with profits increasing 63% to $151 million. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Target's sales and profits have been uneven during the slow recovery, as its customers hesitated to shop for discretionary items. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In recent months, clothing sales have started to pick up at Target, but home furnishings remain weak. In its first fiscal quarter ended April 28, its sales rose 5.9% to $16.86 billion, with profits growing 1.2% to $697 million. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some retail experts have said Target has been hurt by retail chains such as H&M and Kohl's Corp. KSS +0.79% offering lower-priced designer collections. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Target has also been vulnerable to "showrooming," where shoppers browse items in stores only to buy them cheaper elsewhere, often online. In January, Target Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel sent a letter to suppliers prodding them to lower prices or come up with more exclusive items to counter the trend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Adrianne Shapira, a retail analyst at Goldman Sachs, called the partnership a "home run" for Target. "With Neiman Marcus supporting them, it puts them in the real luxury business," she said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For Neiman, it is a "risk-adjusted bet" to appeal to younger customers, Ms. Shapira said, adding, "They want to show they are cool and hip." (wsj.com/anne zimmermann)
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->