Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2007.08 Versailles

Dior Couture, 60th Anniversary, 2007

Paris Fashion Week is undeniably the crown jewel event within the industry. Some of my most unforgettable runway experiences took place in the City of Light, most notably Dior’s 60th anniversary at Versailles. Along the halls of The Orangery was the longest catwalk I’ve ever walked — nearly a mile! To be honest, though, it felt more like ten in those heels. The show’s casting was a who’s who of supermodels: Linda, Naomi, Amber, Shalom, Gisele — the list went on. That season, John [Galliano] transformed his muses into three-dimensional interpretations of works by impressionist and modern painters. Every model was given a brief for a pseudo-theatrical role to help her get into character. Gisele became the Black Wasp, Helena Christensen was Catherine the Great. I became Kiki de Montparnasse in an outfit he had designed with my ‘playful’ personality in mind.

The energy backstage was frenetic! We all felt this show might be remembered as an important moment in the history of fashion. The excitement was palpable. As it turns out, gathering sixty supermodels in one regal environment makes for a captivating storyline. Without giving too much away, I’m sure you can imagine the narrative twists and turns such a rogue’s gallery of characters could create. There was enough diva drama around to make Marie Antoinette blush. For starters, a certain supermodel was missing in action. Her private jet was sitting on a runway fuelled and ready to go. She, however, was experiencing some technical difficulties with her significant other due to unpredictable weather patterns caused by his insufferable attitude. There were three separate makeup tents assigned to different ranks: ‘model’, ‘supermodel’, or ‘super supermodel’. Whoever had this brilliant idea wasn’t long for this world. Ranking supermodels in order of importance isn’t something any mortal should ever attempt.

After five hours of hair and makeup and several bottles of champagne, I was covered in glitter and feathers and was methodically getting into character. Laughing and giggling myself towards the runway, I quickly realized that no one could actually walk in the shoes. “Screw it,” shouted Naomi, “we’ll float down the runway!” A mere fender bender for this group of all-stars, who, of course, pulled it off gracefully. A magical show, exquisite and delightful, it was perfect and, like all of John’s shows, we had fun–maybe a little too much fun–at the lavish after-party, considering half of us barely made it to Chanel the next morning.

Excerpted from Runway Bird: A Rock ’n’ Roll Style Guide by Irina Lazareanu, © Flammarion, 2022.
models.com

Thanks for that, @[B]MagFan[/B]! Truly wonderful to see this thread revived and to be reminded of such splendor. I was wildly obsessed with all-things Christian Dior way back when and have such fond memories fawning over every last detail of this show. A real feast for the eyes!

A crying shame Vogue Runway's image quality of this show is a crime against fashion.

I will NEVER GET OVER this collection... Perfect from start to finish, in every possible and impossible way!

Does anyone know the names of all the dresses in this show?
After eleven years, I don't know if you've got your answer, but there are all the inspirations for each look right here!

am i the only one who found this collection kinda hideous, but in a saccharine way? it's so sickly sweet, like gorging on a plate of macarons. it's just a giant costume party lmao

This was one of the worst collections and shows John ever did in my opinion. It was too much in some many ways. That long runway with the hideous props and bad music did not help in elevating some of the most ridiculous and over-the-top, yet basic and ugly pieces I've seen. Not his best !

It all went downhill after Madame Butterfly Couture, unfortunately.

I remember liking this show well enough at the time...well...if my memory serves me correctly, I liked certain looks, but didn't love the collection as a whole. And that is still the case.

I really don't care for the color and fabric choices for the most part - everything sort of looks dusty/chalky.

The fits and hem lengths of this collection always bother me. So many of them are just off enough to make what are rather gaudy and chintzy looking pieces look even more so. The layering of chiffon and organza on top of the satin doesn't help with the dustiness of all this. Don't get me started on Irina Lazareanu's look and those pants.

Wasn't exactly Pat's finest hour makeup wise too. Some of the girls look so sweaty or even worse, subject to a chemical peel recovery with all that blush.

Felt as though Fall 2005 couture was were things started going down hill (very slowly though). After that, he really started to obsess over satin, charmeuse, and taffeta like fabrics far too much.

Moza bought Raquel's

Raquel Zimmerman Inspired by Eric, Haute Couture Autumn-Winter 2007. Dress in hand-painted off-white triple organza. Christian Dior by John Galliano. Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser Collection. Worn during La Scala opera house season opening in Milan, Italy in 2017. Photo: © Laziz Hamani
en.vogue.me
These unqualified noobs who work with Hamani could not even check runways photos and put chest drapes correctly as always

Neckline of Milana Keller gown is actually originally designed by Charles James

matsumotoinc.com

Last edited:
Does anybody have any images of these outfits in real life? The runway version looks ridiculous IMO, but I’m sure a more realistic, wearable version would look fantastic….maybe (??)

Does anybody have any images of these outfits in real life? The runway version looks ridiculous IMO, but I’m sure a more realistic, wearable version would look fantastic….maybe (??)
i'm struggling to see how any of these passages could translate into a more workable, pragmatic couture wardrobe. it's just so ugly, so camp, so on-the-nose, so gauche. if you were to take away all the garish embroideries, lose the hideous colours, get rid of the cartoony styling and massively reduce the endless swaths of stiff taffeta, the outcome would be far too divorced from the original source.

i was really taken aback at how quickly and sharply his dior nosedived after madame butterfly, but that's what happens when you OD on the yass pills and accidentally turn the dial all the way onto full costume

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->