Christian Dior HC S/S 08 Paris

omfg the video is so hilarious!!!
i couldn't stop laughing.
of course the clothes are made well by talented artisans using great fabrics and embroidery work, but other than that it's hideous.

the music was a terrible choice for the "theme" and doesn't do anything other than maybe help you not fall asleep as you're watching this.

the models.....let's not even go there..... they can't model for sh^t and prove what a joke this really is :lol:

at least it kept me in stitches:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am i the only person who looks at this and thinks Priscilla Queen of the Desert.... Historical, costume drag......

IMO, it looks like he has struck one note over and over again, before last 2 HC, and then RTW and cruise and then this...I'm almost sure that this upcoming RTW won't be so different. I'm so tired of the over-done, over-decorated, over-embebellished coutures that I've seen from him

agree agree agree...

yellowetpink, the make up is by gorgeous Pat Mcgrath, who was probably the greatest artist on this scene... well, her and house of Lesage.

the rest (design team, music, decor) failed!

the music was a terrible choice for the "theme" and doesn't do anything other than maybe help you not fall asleep as you're watching this.

I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way about the music choice. I found it hard to concentrate on the pieces with the music blasting in my ears.

I'm a huge fan of Klimt's work so I appreciate his source of inspiration, but unfortunately it did not translate well, it looks a bit draggish.

The makeup is stunning!

I love the Klimt inspired outfits.

^ They're all Klimt inspired....I just don't think that it translated very well. The only Klimt 'inspiration' I see is the embroidery. He could have spend so much attention in focusing on the Klimt colors, Klimt shapes whatever. The colors were all way too disco to be allowed to carry the name Klimt...and as for the shapes, Klimt's work was so very much about the shapes of his subjects and they fluctuated so much in his paintings that I think that it's not ok to restrict yourself to the Dior back-bubble and some heavy frocks and bows. Klimt's work was very erotic and I missed that as well in this collection. Also, it was about the female body while this collection was about heavy fabrics and Lady Bunny...

This has to be his least relevant collection since SS 06.

Stupid me, I missed that the entire collection was inspired by Klimt. But I guess that proves your point.

It was excellent to see the influence by Gustave Klimt, but when I first saw the pieces, I sense a classic Balenciaga influence with the shapes and use of volume.

omfg the video is so hilarious!!!
i couldn't stop laughing.
of course the clothes are made well by talented artisans using great fabrics and embroidery work, but other than that it's hideous.

the models.....let's not even go there..... they can't model for sh^t and prove what a joke this really is :lol:

at least it kept me in stitches:rofl:

I have to disagree with every single thing you said....

The music - JG always picks music that is off kilter, and the old Zeppelin Whole Lotta Love really did provide a great contrast to the clothes while it set the right rythm for that haughty early 60s walk.

I thought the models did a fantastic job, actually, most of them looked like Diana Vreeland would have swooned.

Hmmm...I think you have unintentionally hit the nail on the head. These clothes have not evolved much since Funny Face have they? Except they've grown louder, bigger, more colourful and the makeup is outrageous. But I'm a very different person from my grandmother's time. I work, I design, I socialize, I don't wait for Fred Astair to sweep me off my feet. There's a whole new world we're living in, including incredible technology to help designers to achieve new levels of innovation which we see it in other art forms, films, furniture, and it's strange how haut couture is "supposed" to stay unchanged in this bubble of bows, flounces, and frills. If you see Marc Newsom keep producing colourful Louis 14th chairs in different variations, he will simply become irrelevant. But in fashion, it's so strange that taste never evolves. Of course I remain in the minority in this view, so there' something wrong with me, but I think it is worth pointing out.

Horyn in her Times blog mentions she felt a 'splinter of nastiness' when it came to the colors and shapes used. i'm still trying to digest that because i felt 'something' as well. i've always felt galliano was the happy antidote to mcqueen's orgy of macabre historicism. but is there finally a little rust on the razor? there seems to be something questioning in this collection, not only of the house's history but also of his methodology, of being 'inspired'. how do you take something so quintessentially french from a house that essentially arose from the ashes of war to become couture's mascot to meet the needs of the emerging markets (perhaps the last ones left even interested in couture)? their expectations are what keeps galliano's hands tied behind his back, he essentially has to produce le big mac, give them what they expect: something brash, something french, something that relies upon tradition. he's made it as easy as car shopping ('ooh, i want the red one!').

my mother used to listen to that Led Zeppelin track!
I think it is so OTT and he obviously has a great sense of humour.................

I think several of the outfits are very Klimt with the mirrors, the eye makeup is fantastic, and I love the shoes.
Bruna looked absolutely fantastic in that deep red trailing dress.
Galliano really creates true haute couture.

Hmmm...I think you have unintentionally hit the nail on the head. These clothes have not evolved much since Funny Face have they? Except they've grown louder, bigger, more colourful and the makeup is outrageous. But I'm a very different person from my grandmother's time. I work, I design, I socialize, I don't wait for Fred Astair to sweep me off my feet. There's a whole new world we're living in, including incredible technology to help designers to achieve new levels of innovation which we see it in other art forms, films, furniture, and it's strange how haut couture is "supposed" to stay unchanged in this bubble of bows, flounces, and frills. If you see Marc Newsom keep producing colourful Louis 14th chairs in different variations, he will simply become irrelevant. But in fashion, it's so strange that taste never evolves. Of course I remain in the minority in this view, so there' something wrong with me, but I think it is worth pointing out.

And I hold the, perhaps constrasting, opinion that technology for technology's sake is worthless. At least for the consumer who is interested in art and beauty. IMO the overall tendency to focus on new techniques has largely usurped art. Perhaps I have an old soul - I remember watching Disney movies as a preteen and not being able to watch the newer movies because they were so damned ugly. Of course, because some artless techno nerds had taken over from artists, for the sake of increased profit under the guise of "ooooh, technology". Obviously, if new techniques are used with beauty in mind, it's a different story.

Since this collection has elements of Galliano's personal style, Vreeland, Japonica and Klimt, I would say that it's an original and beautiful combination where most of the core structures of the dresses are reminiscent of 1963-5. Anyhow, this collection is very far removed from the bloody collection of HC SS06, isn't. So it evolves in a sense, doesn't it, just through some "chronological style transfer" between decades/centuries.

The inspiration is obvious - SS 07 Couture plus everything we've seen before :innocent: I'm not going to say that I hate it but it's definitely not what I've expected, not to mention the set is horrible.

I really like Maryna's dress, though. It reminds me of the old, good, crazy couture at Dior.

00400m.jpg

style.com

That is a strawman- "technology for technology's sake". This is not suggested as the only or the "right" direction to go. The direction to go that I mentioned is the world "today", i.e., the world I live in, not my grandmother's world. With this world comes a lot of truly fascinating ideas, concepts and innovations, and not just in technology, but also in art, society and culture. For example, even as "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is as "olde world" as you can get but imagine if it doesn't use any CGI but actors in rubber suits. In the film, you don't "see" technology, but technology made the Tolkien world vivid. McQueen is very "olde world" in his design, but at least he makes them in a way that is modern and relevant. I don't think Diana Vreeland, if she were alive today, would want fashion that is frozen in the 50s. She was daring and iconoclastic for her time, so were all the great designers, from Chanel to Balenciaga. They were pushing new ideas, experimenting with new forms that were radical during their reign, that's what made them great. The Chanel jacket was the ultimate streamlined chic during Mademoiselle's time, but to redo the Chanel jacket today over and over, like St John, makes it totally meaningless, uninteresting and does nothing to push fashion. Monet is great for his time, but imagine some cheesy artist still painting the same impressionistic water lilies today. That "artist" wouldn't make it to anywhere except maybe HomeShoppingNetwork, and no one is suggesting that he has to use technology or computers to do his art either. He can still painstakingly hand-make everything, but the meaning of his art has to be there. This feeling of watching Galliano do a parody of "Dior", more pailletes, bigger poufs, some Chinoiserie/Japonaise, throw some "blood" on for "revolutionary" edginess, lots of embroidery, *always* Pigalle and Toulouse Lautrec, maybe Marie Antoinette or Bois de Boulogne (ooh, the scandal!) next time, transvestite makeup, the peplum jacket, that hands on the waist "stomachache" pose, all the cliched "Frenchiness" but it's still the same stuff over and over. The French I know don't even think of Dior as French fashion anymore, just tacky expensive merchandise targeted at American, Russian and Asian tourists. And sadly, no fashion journalist out there would even do anything other than applaud this shabby state of affairs, "friendship" and lavish gifts aside, they can't bite the hand that pays for the ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->