Classic Icons Must-See Film List- Add Yours!

It's actually a future classic given that it was released only in 2001, but- Y Tu Mama También. Also Amores Perros and Amélie.

More 'orthodox' classics I think everyone should watch:

The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Roman Holiday
Chungking Express

Victor/Victoria (any Julie Andrews fans should definitely watch this)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg in French, Deneuve in a musical!)
Come September (for Gina Lollobrigida)
Darling (for Julie Christie)

All About Eve (Bette Davis)
Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn)
The Red Shoes (seminal Powell and Pressburger ballet film)
It Happened One Night (Claudette Colbert)
The Apartment
The Women (1939 version - SUCH a good cast)
Pandora's Box - Louise Brooks

Has anyone seen Design for Living? I've only heard of it in recent months since there's a Criterion release for it. I'm not sure how likely it is that it would air on TCM but I requested it anyway & was thinking of getting the release for it even without having already seen it.

^I haven't seen it yet but if it's being released by Criterion then it's probably quite good. Criterion is pretty spot-on with it's releases.

Anyways... my picks for classic/iconic movies (which have all probably have been mentioned already but I'll say it again) include:

Roman Holiday
The King and I
To Kill a Mockingbird
Breakfast at Tiffany's
West Side Story
Romeo & Juliet
To Sir With Love

Also, I suggest checking out Netflix, they have a pretty good selection of instant movies available for viewing.

I don't see The Third Man or any old German Expressionst (Nosferatu, Metropolis, Cabinet of Caligari) or early Hollywood horror (Frankenstein, Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Them) on this page. Plus most Hitchcock but Vertigo is wonderful. Also Chaplin (modern Times) and Keaton (Sherlock Jr). Acck I could go on and on. Russian formalists, like Eisenstein's Potemkin or Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera. And of course all the others mentioned! I love Fanny & Alexander!! :D

Play it Again Sam, because it foreshadows the infinitely brilliant Annie Hall.

How to Marry a Millionaire because Bacall, Monroe and Grable make a formidable trio!! Marilyn is a doll in this film!!

Jules et Jim (devastating), Persona (more devastating), The Last Laugh, Breathless, Badlands (Sissy Spacek will freak you out!!)

Design for Living has beautiful gowns, but I wasn't invested in the story near the end. Of course it's always interesting to see pre-code talkies, and the film has a fair amount of content that would be unacceptable a year later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sudden fear (Joan Crawford)
The fan (Lauren Bacall)
Leave her to heaven (Gene Tierny)
The story of Esther Costello (Joan Crawford)
Rain (Joan Crawford)
Night watch (Elizabeth Taylor)
Ash Wednesday (Elizabeth Taylor)
Secret Ceremony (Elizabeth Taylor, Mia Farrow and Robert Mitchum)
The driver's seat (Elizabeth Taylor)
Elephant Walk (Elizabeth Taylor)
Killer nun (Anita Ekberg)

Gilda... over and over again...:crush:

sure-im-decent.jpg

Noirbabes

Oh, and Cat on a hot tin roof - Just to watch Elisabeth Taylor shove ice cream in the face of an abnoxious child. Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Both great movies, and i LOVE that scene haha, "no neck monsters".

Hahaha, I think this was one of those rare 50's movies which provided classic comical moments. I found 'that fertility monster' Mae and her pesky kids to be a welcoming comic relief.

I am obsessed with old Hollywood glam. My unicorn will forever be Lana Turner in Imitation Of Life. The style! The jewels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->